Is metal detecting worth it?

.....I am not making big $$$$$$$$ but in just a little over 2 years I have found nearly $2600.00 (rewards included)and 176 rings, including 19 Gold and 26 silver. My best days were the ones when I found and returned the items to their owners. I did return a 30K ring and was pleasantly surprised with a "handsome" reward w/o asking! An added bonus is the exercise, during my first year I picked up 5,490 pennies, mostly one at a time. That my friend is a bunch of exercise when one is over 60 years young! Jump on in and enjoy this rewarding hobby! Good luck and I wish you success in this game IF you choose to play!.... Jan

Now how many hobbies does one come home with more money than they left with ?? steve in so az

hey all. Thanks for your replies. This solidifies my interest in the hobby. I just love finding things that people havnt seen in hundreds of years. Heck, I found a school book from the 20's with homework stuck inside and think it is the greatest thing ever. So neat!

hey all. Thanks for your replies. This solidifies my interest in the hobby. I just love finding things that people havnt seen in hundreds of years. Heck, I found a school book from the 20's with homework stuck inside and think it is the greatest thing ever. So neat!

That's better...we can like you more now.:D

They don't call this hobby "Diggin' History" for nothin!

HH

That's awesome! Can you post pics ?

I had to get the calculator out for this......let's see, in 18 months I've got roughly $2,700 in gold nuggets and about $200 in silver. That's $2900. My Minelab and MXT ran about $700 each. My gold bug was $500 and the Titan was a BOGO for $90, the Compadre was $150 (I've had my BH for years and it was a gift). So, yeah, I'm ahead about $700 in a year and a half. Not to mention the scenery in this part of the country and the fact I've lost almost 50 pounds and no longer have to take blood pressure medication. Last but not least, I've met some really nice folks on this forum!!

Dusty

Well, we can like you now. But you sure yanked a lot of chains.:lol:

Dave

I have about $300 in my equipment. I have spent probably 30 hours or less detecting with it. I got out of the house, away from the kids, got some sunshine, breathed some fresh air, got some exercise, learned alot of local history, talked with an old timer who shared some of his detecting secrets, hung out wiht a great friend just diggin in the dirt, became alot more relaxed person, and I believe that I deal with stress a little bit better than before. Was it worth $300 for all of that, AND some cool new equipment?

YOUBETCHA!!!:lol:

I ride a bike with my MD in my back pack. I have seen a lot of nature that I have not seen in many years. I have renewed my youthful interest in the woods, paths, animals and old sites deep in the woods. I have seen nature again. I feel like a kid again. Its "Dirt Fishing" and "Exploring" and "History" all combined.

Hey all. I'm a newbie. I was wondering what keeps you going. Alot of you out there spend $500 on equipment and you will never find $500 worth of finds. Is it the thrill that the next thing could be a 24k bar? is it the history behind coins? Is it that you are uncovering the past? I want to convince myself that it's good enough to spend a few $$ to find less than what I paid for my equipment.

here is my suggestion, go out and buy yourself the best detector you can find, whites v3, minelab, garrett, whatever, dont fart around with, spend the big bucks, no sense in going halfass, get one of them garrett propointers, get one of them lesche diggers, and some of them cordless headphones, oh yeah, and get one of them nice goody bags for all the stuff you aint gonna find, go out 2 or 3 times, and if you dont like it, call me asap, and ill give ya 200 bucks for all that crap just to help you recoup some of your money, hurry up please before spring gets here, i hear them v3s have a learning curve i might need to overcome :D:D:D

3000$ .... sounds like a lott......
3,5y times 300? days times 4hours = 3.500 hours
to find 3000$ = $0,86 an hour :no:
that's before costs (batteries, petrol, md, car) so still no profit!!!

Exactly!

It is a hobby, period, but if you want to do the business math, which is good practice in life financially, (with purchases home improvements, jobs, side jobs, etc) then the cost of equipment is nothing.

How much is your time worth? $50 a day? $50 an hour? If this were a business you would be a fool to put in these hours for these prospects.

It is a fun hobby and we would all pay hourly to do it if we had too, but for the sake of analytical argument, most of us are finding less than $1 and hour, and that is before paying for expenses. Not including the jewelry waders out there that find more gold than Midas.

My top ten reasons for taking up the hobby.

1. I am an adrenalin junkie, and need the exercise. (I love the thrill of the chase)
2. It is safer than riding my Harley.
3. I am a combat veteran and it helps me deal with............
4. It is something I can do with my grandson, whom I am raising (4 year old)
5. It is alot cheaper than going to a bar. (typically won't get you arrested either)
6. I am into the scientific aspects of detecting.
7. I can get in from work and be detecting and having fun within minutes.
8. I might find something very valuable.
9. It is relatively cheap to do on a regular basis.
10. My wife is ok with it!!!!!

I didn't pick up the hobby (a hobby, for fun and not to make a living) expecting to get rich, but I am ok with it if I do.:gettinmoney:

Last edited:
If you don't enjoy the experience itself, then you're wasting your time metal detecting...you could easily make more working any minimum wage job and putting in the same number of hours as detecting...personally , over the last 5 years I've found $950 in change and 2 jewelry boxes full of gold and silver jewelry...I gave $120 for my detector...but I've got way more than that in enjoyment ! It is the anticipation of what the next find could be; or wondering about the history of the occasional old coin you're lucky enough to find.; or even just getting outside and enjoying the solitude...go for it ! RR

well said guy's.

I been at it along time .My old White's 5500 last me around 21 years .I sold it and got a new one .So it is not a waste of money .I have everything in a boxs never cash my finds in .It is all about the find .You never know what is out there .

Back
Top Bottom