Coinstar percentage.....REALLY?

I stopped at Aldi after a hunt a few weeks ago and noticed something.
They use a quarter box on the handle to keep control of their carts, stick one in the slot and it releases the chain connected to the next one in line.
When you are done you push the cart back in line and when you stick the chain back in it releases your quarter.
I only had a dirty quarters in my pocket that I had dug on my hunt so I used one of those.
When I was done I got my quarter back and it was clean again, the pressure of the coin box and friction of the quarter going in and coming back out had scraped off all the dirt.

Gotta get me one of those carts for home use.

Now THIS is intriguing! So you can essentially 'buy' an entire shopping cart for a dirty old Q? Just the casters alone would come in handy for around the house projects! A fellow could cut the frame and make a cool outdoor grill or raccoon trap?? Then, just take back the handle, insert it into the mechanism and get your Q back? What genius thought of this concept? :laughing:

No matter how you think of it, a dirty discolored coin requiring further processing before spending is a loss leader...(12% Coinstar fee makes a Q worth 22c)...Even dumping them for 'free' if your bank has this feature, you are paying for something along the way in a hidden, on their schedule too, so no Sunday or afterhour dumps when a guy simply wants to buy some beer...Tumbling and shining them all up to max your profit? Rolling them? Work the math on that one!:laughing:

All things considered, the more economical Clad strategy would be hunting for fresh shiny 'ready to spend' shallow drops...Following the sporting events and seasonal herds, running a fleet of totters on the weekly, eyeballing for bills, cans, anything of value, in a very fuel efficient vehicle...

Requires no kneepads, no digging implements besides a screwdriver, no pinpointer either....Or, popping and pulling a vast amount of dirtys, giving them a quick wipe off, and dumping them into the nearest Coinstar!

When it comes down to it, this Sport is the ONLY one I've ever been involved in that throws off immediate ready to spend money!...A fellow can leave the house before Sun-up, without a dollar to their name, have a half tank of gas, a simple detector, and a screwdriver, and by noon, be fully tanked! Without dinking around inside a bank, going home to tumble, or talking to anybody!

Thanks to the Coinstar! Thats worth 12% to me in the peaceful factor alone!! Not having your tires properly inflated, not establishing the most efficient ROI travel route, having a dirty MAF sensor is costing a Hunter a hell of a lot more in profit than a piddly CS fee!

A guy does not want to go too far down the rabbit hole figuring out ROI's or Hourly Payback on this Sport or on about anything else for that matter, especially not for a fishing boat or being married with kids! :laughing:...

Just be happy and snatch up some errant coins and dont worry about it...if you go too far thinking greedy profit, taking a hard look at all the other expenses..(Believe me, I have)..you will be hunting for cans and looking for free food to eat!! :laughing: Is that what you want? You are talking yourself right into it buddy!

I think you and I would get along just fine together Mud! If my wife read your post , she would think that I wrote it. My wife and kids have learned not to ask where some of their food and other things came from. As far as using coinstar machines , the time saved not tumbling dirty nickels and cents is well worth the fee and now that I've learned that the local shopko has the amazon option that's what I use. I coin roll hunt cents and nickels and dump them in the coinstar for the amazon card to order needed items. Dug quarters and dimes go in the self checkouts at Walmart after just a rinse. The Walmart coinstars seem very limited on what they offer for free gift cards so I googled coinstars that offer amazon gift cards and found a nearby one that offered them. Pretty happy about that

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They do charge alot

I normally take Amazon or ebay gift card without any fee taken.

Our local Kroger supermarket has a Coinstar that doesn't take any commission if you take your payout as a Kroger credit slip. Can't beat that deal, and everyone has to buy groceries anyway.

Our local Kroger supermarket has a Coinstar that doesn't take any commission if you take your payout as a Kroger credit slip. Can't beat that deal, and everyone has to buy groceries anyway.
Kudos to Kroger .. I bet Wal-Mart won't match deal

Now THIS is intriguing! So you can essentially 'buy' an entire shopping cart for a dirty old Q? Just the casters alone would come in handy for around the house projects! A fellow could cut the frame and make a cool outdoor grill or raccoon trap?? Then, just take back the handle, insert it into the mechanism and get your Q back? What genius thought of this concept? :laughing:

:laughing: There'd be a very confused customer at the shopping trolley bay!

What the heck is wrong with simply rolling your change as it accumulates? People are lazy anymore.
Nothing wrong with that, I always enjoyed it a bit. Problem is, as we're pushed more and more into 'cashless', it's hard to spend that rolled coin as many banks just don't accept it. I like to cash mine in all at once, and get paper money in exchange.

Nothing wrong with that, I always enjoyed it a bit. Problem is, as we're pushed more and more into 'cashless', it's hard to spend that rolled coin as many banks just don't accept it. I like to cash mine in all at once, and get paper money in exchange.
The day the bank don't accept rolled changed is the day I start eating sushi.

They started at 8%, went to 9% and now they are up to 10+% or more at most sites, could be more in some states.
You pay for the convenience...same as buying things at 7-11's or other convenience stores when you are too lazy to go to cheaper fully stocked grocery stores.

They are heavily used at many of their locations and that company makes money or they wouldn't be around.
They have to pay for employees and parts to service their machines among other costs of doing business so why are you so surprised they charge what they charge for their services?
And as mentioned you can get an Amazon or other card for free if you choose to instead.
Many people don't deal with banks or not all banks have free counting machines available.
I have none near me in my area that offer that free service.
If you do have a free one available to use instead of course you would be crazy to pay for the same service...if the machines you use are calibrated and actually count your change accurately.
Not all of them do.
http://www.wrcbtv.com/story/31655318/coin-counting-machines-may-be-shortchanging-you

this is what tv and newspaper news should be reporting and quit promoting their favorite political parties on either side of the political spectrum.

Pffffttt!....that's nothing! I've paid tens of thousands of dollars (approaching $100k) to insurance companies over the last 35 years. What have I received? A big zero, zilch, nada, not single claim made. Then there's property ta...ok, I don't want to get started...10% is nothing!

And if you have an accident after all these years of paying thru the nose they will immediately raise your rates.

First off, this is my first use of a Coinstar machine, so I got caught by surprise.
Had a few peanut butter jars of change to get rid of, and decided to hit up the local Walmart. That is, until I got to the first screen.
EXCUSE ME?!...11.6% for dumping a load of change? I don't think so.
So, is this the norm for all coinstars, or just Walmart located machines?
Luckily, my local credit union has a coin counter in their lobby, and members don't get charged anything for it's use.

Roger

I find the coinstars that have gift card options (not all do). When you select a gift card, you get 100% of the value of the change you put. in.

I do Amazon.com, because I buy enough there, it doesn't matter.

Cheers!

What the heck is wrong with simply rolling your change as it accumulates? People are lazy anymore.

Unless, you're looking to buy something on Amazon (which I frequently do with my coins...).

Then it's really stupid to go to all the effort to roll your coins, take them to the bank, get cash, then buy a gift card to load into Amazon.

Much easier to just dump and run!

And saves me HOURS of time!

The day the bank don't accept rolled changed is the day I start eating sushi.

Turn in enough dirty and grungy coins and your bank will definitely stop accepting your coins. It may take them awhile to figure it out, but they will eventually nail you. Don't think so? Read on.

I used to do a lot of coin roll hunting with dimes. One day, I got 20 rolls of sandy and salty dimes at my local bank! They all looked like someone had dug them up at the beach. I took them back to the bank and told them why I couldn't use them. I'm sure they made a note of it and hopefully nailed the jerk who rolled those dirty coins.

Bottom line, banks do not have to accept your coins and you should not roll your garbage coins and dump them off on your local bank. You're not pulling a fast one on the bank, you're just dumping them off on their next customer who needs change for their business or on someone who is coin roll hunting.

Turn in enough dirty and grungy coins and your bank will definitely stop accepting your coins. It may take them awhile to figure it out, but they will eventually nail you. Don't think so? Read on.

I used to do a lot of coin roll hunting with dimes. One day, I got 20 rolls of sandy and salty dimes at my local bank! They all looked like someone had dug them up at the beach. I took them back to the bank and told them why I couldn't use them. I'm sure they made a note of it and hopefully nailed the jerk who rolled those dirty coins.

Bottom line, banks do not have to accept your coins and you should not roll your garbage coins and dump them off on your local bank. You're not pulling a fast one on the bank, you're just dumping them off on their next customer who needs change for their business or on someone who is coin roll hunting.

Exactly! Thats whats so great about dumping Cruddys into the Coinstar! NO Judgement or scolding!!:laughing: Thats worth 12% to me! We get enough of that as it is just by accidentally leaving the toilet seat up!:laughing:

Going back to the bank and whining about salty coins are exactly why many banks are refusing to accept rolled coin, and cutting off roll hunters. Wouldn’t it have been just as easy to wash/dry those salty dimes?

Another reason is roll hunters buying the bags off the coin machine at the bank, and returning because it was short three clad halves. Fastest way to get your hunting privileges cut off.

Banks don’t want to deal with cash, period.

Back
Top Bottom