What does it take?

George (MN)

Elite Member
I want people to detect with! I don't drive but could contribute to driving expense. Also, this isn't about stealing your good "secret" spots. I've spent many thousands of hours, probably tens of thousands of hours, researching public and private places near and far. I guess all this info will be just thrown away when I die, which could be soon.

You could even use some of my detectors and be first to be notified if I'm selling one. I would gladly share sites, show you some samples like Plan A, Plan B, Plan C. Pick some of mine or yours if you prefer.

Some of mine: largest fairgrounds in the state, old enough for 1800s coins; 1930s camping spot now just bike/hike trail thru woods, same town.

20 mi f/me, 1860's fairgrounds destroyed by tornado 1920's, now just park with no facilities except parking lot for those who want to fish from shore or launch a boat, or just sit around and get drunk. Nat'l Parks Service wants to acquire this place for MN River Nat'l Park; same town, 1854 abandoned public square on a hill that had band concerts, now overgrown; 5mi f/there, public school, with just a few rooms & ball field, maybe 1 room in 1800s.

A 1910 park that looks new in a new suburb; a '20s park in another new suburb; a park in St Paul that looks 1940's but really existed by 1907. Three 1849 parks in St. Paul. Half the towns in S central & SE MN have 1850's park.

How about a forest that was a 1800's hotel & resort & now a city park outside of the city & still a forest. We know the archies are trying to keep it secret! 60 mi from me. 30 mi f/me, 1850 public square across f/old sch & ch.

20mi f/me, new park w/old forest, across street f/tiny ch w/no yard except small cem. Seated dimes in a 1960's park? Just down the road, 1800's school being lived in. Near both, a school barely old enough to have silver-often these are best!

If nobody wants to detect with me, I may have to move to another state! I hope all of you have places like this near you-research will tell! Best wishes!

Last edited:
Good Luck with your quest to find a good hunting buddy...I get tired of going out by myself but I haven't much luck around my area either. There are other guys and gals metal detecting here, but they must already have partners or are just happy doing it by themselves? Such is life...

HDD

I want people to detect with! I don't drive but could contribute to driving expense. Also, this isn't about stealing your good "secret" spots. I've spent many thousands of hours, probably tens of thousands of hours, researching public and private places near and far. I guess all this info will be just thrown away when I die, which could be soon.

You could even use some of my detectors and be first to be notified if I'm selling one. I would gladly share sites, show you some samples like Plan A, Plan B, Plan C. Pick some of mine or yours if you prefer.

Some of mine: largest fairgrounds in the state, old enough for 1800s coins; 1930s camping spot now just bike/hike trail thru woods, same town.

20 mi f/me, 1860's fairgrounds destroyed by tornado 1920's, now just park with no facilities except parking lot for those who want to fish from shore or launch a boat, or just sit around and get drunk. Nat'l Parks Service wants to acquire this place for MN River Nat'l Park; same town, 1854 abandoned public square on a hill that had band concerts, now overgrown; 5mi f/there, public school, with just a few rooms & ball field, maybe 1 room in 1800s.

A 1910 park that looks new in a new suburb; a '20s park in another new suburb; a park in St Paul that looks 1940's but really existed by 1907. Three 1849 parks in St. Paul. Half the towns in S central & SE MN have 1850's park.

How about a forest that was a 1800's hotel & resort & now a city park outside of the city & still a forest. We know the archies are trying to keep it secret! 60 mi from me. 30 mi f/me, 1850 public square across f/old sch & ch.

20mi f/me, new park w/old forest, across street f/tiny ch w/no yard except small cem. Seated dimes in a 1960's park? Just down the road, 1800's school being lived in. Near both, a school barely old enough to have silver-often these are best!

If nobody wants to detect with me, I may have to move to another state! I hope all of you have places like this near you-research will tell! Best wishes!

And sometimes that's the way it goes. I would think that detecting "with a buddy" is the exception, rather than the rule. I know I'd prefer to hunt alone, or with my son, but that's about it.

If you're interested in getting out, try Uber or Lyft! Cheers!

Skippy

Well, if either of you are ever in north Louisiana, let me know. I don't really have a whole list of places to go but we can go to what we can and swap stories. I have found a few things here and there and in the Ouachita Mountains of Arkansas. I want to go to the Cossotot River one day there in the Ouachita Mountains with some chest waders and my detector. I know of a handful of extinct mining communities that used to exist out there so it's possible to find something.

Wish I was near you, I enjoy hunting with others and love to drive!

I want people to detect with!

I feel your pain. It can be tough to find people to detect with.

We travel full time and I have used this forum to try to reach out to local MD'ers with mixed results. Some of my best hunts have come from reaching out on this board and I have spent time time in areas without being able to hook up with anyone.

I just spent 6 weeks in Albuquerque and couldn't find a soul to hunt with. We will keep trying, because the hunts that work out are worth the effort. I've meet some great folks.

Good luck finding a hunting buddy and happy hunting!

Back
Top Bottom