Stadium Stabbing Sunday

Mud-puppy

Forum Supporter
I had high hopes for the first place. Although I've not been here in a year, there have been 4 friday night games there in a row, and I figured I could get in there and make quick pay. On site before sunup and although there were targets, there was not as much as there shoulda been...seemed like what I got was from one game only...plus 17 emptys

Headed over to another massive school complex with huge woodchip totters and sportsfields usually good for $5 easy...This place was a desert! Not even a nice spill out in the main or a pencil end! Some local is obviously Johnny on the spot! OK, Now its Noon, so I did a pouch dump and took a pic and started home disappointed...

Stopped at a store to redeem the cans and sure enough, they have a Coinstar too! Ran the clad and got my script....went out into the parking lot and could see the approaching storm and feel the air cooling off...

I thought about another place in a little town, and decided to go over there to see...Nobody around, incoming weather and an open gate! Man...I really got into the big money fast! Obviously this place was not discovered yet..The ring is junk...

total haul...$30.20 plus $1.70 cans...Home by 2:30...

Attachments

• oct 22-17.jpg
    oct 22-17.jpg
    34.7 KB · Views: 519
  • oct 22-17-1.jpg
    oct 22-17-1.jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 492
  • oct 22-17-2.jpg
    oct 22-17-2.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 490
  • oct 22-17-3.jpg
    oct 22-17-3.jpg
    32.4 KB · Views: 493
Great detecting day, I always love to read your stories and your comments. I do have one question which has already been answered, where do you live to get .10 per can?

Great detecting day, I always love to read your stories and your comments. I do have one question which has already been answered, where do you live to get .10 per can?

Hey Tree, Thanks for your nice comments...Here in Michigan can redemption is .10c per...Some other States its a nickle...Some States nothing...

This idea was to assist in eliminating trash, so when a person purchases a 12 pack lets say, you pay another $1.20 on top of the cost...Now, theres a few problems with this concept...One, the redemption machines are very slow, prone to break downs and dirty. They dont take crushed cans, and the sticker must be scannable....You gotta stand there like a dummy and feed each can in one at a time! Getting all sappy and sticky from the wizzings...

Consequently, The State is making a fortune on account of not ALL cans are ever redeemed! Its just too dirty and bothersome for most folks to deal with! ...I dont know the exact figure, but I doubt its 50%...So the State keeps all that unclaimed money, and I bet its a freaking fortune!

Also, the can is only able to be redeemed in the State where it was purchased! So if a guy comes up here from Ohio with cases of drink worth a nickel per, (Ohio value) he cannot redeem those cans here in Michigan! Not for a dime and not for a nickel! He's gotta tote them empties back to Ohio to get his nickel deposit, or screw you! :laughing:

Not all cans have a value either, just 'carbonated' drinks basically, so theres a lot of empty waterbottles and Gatorade and whatnot all over the place...Glass bottles are also a bummer, because of their weight and the fact that a lot of people like to peel off the label making them worthless...Plastic bottles, you gotta take off the screw top to redeem them, and for some reason, some tricksters screw them on so tight, you need a set of Channelloks!:mad:

Also, the damn Redemption machines? They are not an all purpose repository! You have to put the glass in the glass, plastic in plastic, and aluminum in another one! So you stand in line behind some old guy waiting to use the appropriate machine! Huge time waste!

Notes:
One 15gal standard kitchen trash bag hauls about 60 12oz...a few more if you really stuff em...so theres $6 of a full bag leaking juices and yellowjackets all over you and your cars trunk...!

Being a dedicated Cannie is a lot of work, you have to be very ROI conscious, (efficient travel conveyance like a bicycle, (an Ebike with a 50 mile recharge range and baskets and a grabby stick would be the bomb!) Using free plastic bags etc)..study the heavy drop zones, get there first and fast...be an early riser, have a passion for 'The Hunt', willing to get dirty for very little recompense, impervious to Public ridicule, most are old loners and alcoholics...

Quite similar to US! :laughing:

Last edited:
I don't know why, but I knew from reading the title of this thread, that this post would be from you! :lol: Anyway, that's a very good haul from one stadium, congrats! :)

Dang 30$?!?!? Great digging there mud! I feel your pain with redemption, we get .05$ a piece here. There is some spots in the city where you can bring the bags in already pre counted and sorted and they will pay you without counting them. Just not worth the 40-45 minute drive to turn them in. So I go close and waste my time instead of money and do it one by one :laughing: its a dirty game but it can pay off, especially at 10 cents a piece! Congrats man!

That's a lot of stabbing! Big Congrats! I'd love to video tape you while you're out on one of your stabbing and grabbing excursions. You can buy a lot of silver coins with $30+ dollars. That around 25 silver Rosie dimes at today's melt value.

beephead

That's a lot of stabbing! Big Congrats! I'd love to video tape you while you're out on one of your stabbing and grabbing excursions. You can buy a lot of silver coins with $30+ dollars. That around 25 silver Rosie dimes at today's melt value.

beephead

Right! I evaluate every find and expense based upon what a Silver coin would cost...For instance, today gas is $2.60/gal, so thats a pair of Mercs to drive 30miles in my little car on an average daily hunt! Grabbing up a dozen cans replaces one of the Mercs, a bit of totlot clad for the other, then I spend one Walker Half on smokes, so I'm down a Walker and 2 Mercs just by leaving the house! And, A Morgan Silver Dollar for 4 qts of oil every month?!...so thats a lot of silver I need to replace somehow!!:laughing: Besides YOU, who can find all that silver day after day? For me, Clad is the answer! :laughing: Either that, or I'll have to quit smoking and ride a bicycle!

Great job MUD !! :Like you I always pound the schools around me. I usually bring a bag and round up a few bucks in empties and my schools are always loaded with clad. As the Fall season sports have just ended I will now start to hit the 30 plus schools I go to and do big clad clean outs. Usually good for a few good jewelry finds also. Continued success...HH !

Mud I envy you. In my area the vast majority of schools are fenced with locked gates and NO TRESPASSING signs. And they will call the cops on you.

Since I cant read and if the gate is open and no one is around. Those protected tot lots can produce a good bit of clad.

We get nothing for aluminum cans etc. The recyclers pay about 50 cents a pound and that takes over 20 cans. Not worth the effort.

Great job mud you kill on the clad stabbing. I would like to watch you one day in real time just to see how you stab so many coins so fast.

Dang Mud glad you hit pay dirt there at the end! You had me and pencil end! :laughing:

Nice cladding man! Your one day hunt there has beat every month I’ve ever done!

Great job on the clad and the ring! Thanks for the info on redeeming cans in your state.

The intent of the MI 10 cent deposit was to reduce litter and encourage recycling, but it seems that the new intent is to generate capital for the state coffers. The hell with recycling!!

Back
Top Bottom