Friendly Metal Detecting Forums   Quality Metal Detectors
List all sponsors

Go Back   Friendly Metal Detecting Forums > Detectors and Gear > How to Use Your Metal Detector

Old 10-13-2017, 02:14 PM
Elite Member

Originally Posted by Dflan83 View post
loved the 8x6 sef on the Etrac when I had it, just excellent separation and pretty good on the depth. With the CTX, I find myself using the Stock and smaller 6 in coil about half and half where on the Etrac I used mostly the 8x6 sef.

The recovery speed on the pro coil for the CTX is most of the time fast enough to get good separation
Thank you thinking about the 10 x 12 for right now good luck

Sent from my SM-S902L using Tapatalk

Old 10-13-2017, 02:21 PM
Elite Member

I did see your post you lucky dog on the contrary the stock coil on etrac is driving me crazy here in Southwest PA it is going silent on me for long periods of time I'm wondering if it's the soil or the coil or the machine even if I turn the sensitivity down to three the only threshold I can hear is when the machine is not moving that's not all the time but a good bit of the time actually used at Pro in a yard a couple of weeks ago when I couldn't hold a threshold with the etrac think I will try the SEF 10 by 12 for now good luck

Old 10-13-2017, 03:58 PM

Default E-Trac Coils can be addictive !!!!

I have purchased and own = sunray X5, X8, X12 .... SEF 6x8, 10x12, 12x15 .... minelab pro coil and the Detec 13 inch Ultimate .

If I had to choose only three from the above group ...it would be as stated in an earlier post . Sunray X5 -trash areas

Sunray X8 - overall

13 Inch Ultimate - ballparks and large fields

But there's only one way for you to find out what works best for you.... start collecting. LoL

Old 10-14-2017, 07:05 PM
Elite Member

Originally Posted by markinswpa View post
I did see your post you lucky dog on the contrary the stock coil on etrac is driving me crazy here in Southwest PA it is going silent on me for long periods of time I'm wondering if it's the soil or the coil or the machine even if I turn the sensitivity down to three the only threshold I can hear is when the machine is not moving that's not all the time but a good bit of the time actually used at Pro in a yard a couple of weeks ago when I couldn't hold a threshold with the etrac think I will try the SEF 10 by 12 for now good luck

Mark,be aware that if you run NO disc,you will hear everything again,no nulling.
It is much better to run with no disc and hear it all and just work small areas at a time than to have the machine saying nothing! If the coil is not really moving anywhere with at least a little speed, your depth will be very limited,depending on your coil size. This can all be verified with a test bed...
And of course,you can try a factory reset to see if that clears things up to your satisfaction,in case the machine is "getting goofy".
Good luck!

Old 10-18-2017, 12:07 AM
Elite Member

Another vote for the 6x8 SEF (though I run an Explorer SE Pro, they are very similar). Great coil, deep for it's size, very stable.

Pro coil -- a very good all-around coil.

Detech 13" Ultimate -- may be my favorite coil; deep, separates very well for such a large coil, very stable, and very light for its size. A GREAT coil.

I run the 13" if hunting deep, and the 6x8 if hunting in trash, or small yards/curb strips. The Pro coil is great to have as an all-around backup coil.

Steve

1 members found this post helpful.