Minelab Quattro and ???

A

AndyK

My father is currently checking into purchasing two metal detectors one for himself and one for me. We already made a decision on one metal detector the Minelab Quattro for its great depths and positive reviews that we read. They both would be used for normal soil and the beach dry/wet sand also for coin and jewelry. We would like to have top of the line detectors but have the second one be a different brand. The ones that caught our eye was a Fisher CZ-3D or the Coinstrike. I would like to here your opinions on these detectors or maybe others like a Garrett or a Whites.
Thank You

I know little about the machines you mention, other than to say that here in the UK, there does seem to be feeling that the Minelab (any Minelab) is the "Must Have" detector.

There are a lot of good finds made with them, and so they must be good machines.
On the other hand, we have members in our club who go on club digs with other makes, and find as much if not more that the Minelab owners, a lot is down to luck and technique.

We have one member who uses an old Laser Lobo, he finds as much as anyone, and makes some deep finds.

It depends on whether you like lots of flashing displays, multi tones, and can carry a heavy machine. Or you want something which is light, simple to use, and makes the finds with a little effort from you ?

As with all ?partner? hunting scenarios, I would be concerned about the two machines compatibility. Machines do not work right around each other (up to 10 feet). Either get a machine that runs a different frequency or get the explorer ll. You can set them up to be compatible near each other.
HH

Jeff R said:
As with all ?partner? hunting scenarios, I would be concerned about the two machines compatibility. Machines do not work right around each other (up to 10 feet). Either get a machine that runs a different frequency or get the explorer ll. You can set them up to be compatible near each other.
HH

I was laughing at this... I can hear my hunting partner from 20 feet away when he is water detecting near me... I always turn around and give him the look ;)

The Quattro is a good detector but has some quirks to it. Once you get through the initial understanding of the operation it will do good for you. Not the best at salt water though. The CZ3D is in my opinion better than the Coinstrike overall. If you intend to go to a lot of "newer" areas then it will not perform any better than any other detector in it's price range. This is where the Coinstrike would be better. Check out my special on the Coinstrike and as always there is a little extra added to the purchase of two or more detectors. If you need any more help please let me know.

I have hunted with someone who owns a Quattro. I have seen it get quirky. I use an Explorer II, and had considered the Quattro. I am glad that I made the decision to go with the Exp. The Quattro's recovery speed is considerably slower than the Explorer's, which is a little slower than most other detectors. I would re-think your choices.

Back
Top Bottom