confused in ohio

hberry

I purchased a Discovery 3300 last Memorial weekend at a local Radio Shack. What little I've learned has been a real challenge.Self taught. I'm looking for advice on upgrading to a better model, something to hit the public beaches and riverbanks with. The Discovery does not do very well in sandy soils. I've found over $800 in coins and a lot of jewelry. The 3300 is a lot of fun but I'm not sure if it's performance . Any advice for this new guy?

Great question. I too have the 3300 and am looking for advice on a salt water beach unit. I guess we need a PI unit......can anyone help out 2 newbies..??

Thanks

You have found over 800 dollars in coins and lots of jewelry???????????? Why would you want to upgrade?????????????????? Good going!

If you have the bucks, the Garrett Infinium is what I'd get. Operates on something like 96 frequencies. But for water, the Whites Beach Hunter ID is a nice one. Go poke around in the water hunters forum. They give good advice.

I was at a beach a couple days ago with my 3300 and it did ok. I turned the sensetivity all the way down and made sure it was ground balanced. I was at a fresh water beach so maybe that is the difference. Sounds like you know how to work your machine with so many coins.

A couple questions 1 Are you wanting to take the detector into the water at the beaches, and 2 Which river(s) are you hunting.

Thanks for the time you all are taking to help answer my questions. I'm not opposed to getting wet. There are numerous state park beaches not too far away. I also lived near the Little Miami River for over 20 years and know about 15 miles very well. I also know of a couple of old dumps which have been gone for close to 70 years. thet are kinds trashy but ther are plenty of goodies yet to find. Both sites are on the river and hold a lot of promise. I'm having some difficulty with the BH3300 in sandy soils and need some advice. I'd also be open to upgrading to a unit designed for freshwater. I'm waiting for my BH3300 to return from a service trip to First Texas. I'm getting a 4and 10" coil. Hopefully they will give me a little more versatility. A buddy and I walked both sites recently. He found several coins laying on the ground that I didn't notice. I had not seen a large cent before. Once I knew what to look for I found one, 1845 and a newspaper token that is pre 1907. Can't wait to go back. Thanks, Howard

I have a hunch that your problems in sand are do to high iron content. I am on the OH River and there is lots of iron sediment that leaches out of the riverbank and into the sand. In places there are "cakes" of it lying around. If you are digging in yellow/orange sand that's probably the case. The riverbanks erode away down to the sediment/clay layer and the iron leaches out. If this sand is used on the park beaches, same problem.

For best peformance you will need a DD coil for your machine. If not available then you will continue to have trouble until you ugrade to a machine with this capability.

You have an awesome place to hunt. Best of luck!

Kevin

Back
Top Bottom