Help with .59 Caliber CW Bullets

3rdKyMtdInf

At a recent dig on a site known to camp Confederate (from 61 through 62) and Union (63 through 65) soldiers, I have found about 25 drops ... most of which are .69 caliber three rings and .44 round balls.

In addition, I have found three .59 caliber three ring bullets that I cannot identify. Their length are 1.20" and width of .585" (one of them) and .588" (two of them). They weigh 34 grams, each.

The only .59 caliber I can find in Thomas & Thomas was made in Charleston, SC ... but there is no description of it. The cavity is cone shaped. Can it be possible that patina has added that much width to a .58 caliber? Was the .59 caliber made in Charleston a three ring bullet?

Any help as to what rifle may have been used for these will be appreciated ... and "Hello", to all. This is my first post to your fine message board.

Welcome to the site! I'm trying to do a little research, but I'm wondering if it could be a thick patina. I haven't personally found any bullets, so I can't speak specifically to it.

20180402_193033 (2).jpg
Pictures??

Here is a photo.

Length 1.025, width .588, weight 34 grams, cavity cone.

I would say you have a 58 cal minnie. They come in a wide range of measurements. Yours falls within that range. Need to convert the weight into grains. Yours would be around 525 grains. This may help you in the future: http://www.baymediapro.com/collection/bullet_rings_list.asp

There were no ".59 caliber" CW muskets. .58 is a generalization for Springfields and Harpers Ferry models, but in fact the diameter of the bullets are closer to .564. In fact a .59 bullet would not have gone down the barrel. .69 caliber muskets often used .65 diameter bullets.

Back
Top Bottom