another Cobb ....

dewcon

Quality Control Expert
Me and Gold Digger decided on a road trip so we hit it early. We started out doing some dry sand just because we were all alone out there. After a couple of hours we decided to hit the It was choppy when we started and targets were sparse at best. I think GD got more clad than me... my total was around $2.75. I did get one small 10K gold about .9 grams with CZ. Now the 8 reale cobb is another one of those made into a necklace. It is silver i tested it. Ive looked at it pretty closely it shows wear and doesnt appear to be a repro. Dont know if its worth anything but melt value. but it is another unusual find for the Gulf.

Dew

Attachments

• 002.JPG
    002.JPG
    94.5 KB · Views: 547
Where the pic Dew? If it's like the one I bought ( I can't find one) it's a recast from silver bars from the Achoa using one of the coins for a mold. Mine was $54.00 at the Mel Fisher Museum, if that helps.

Im no expert on anything..... but this doesnt look like a recast CS. Weight was .20 oz silver. Unique find.... hope they keep loosen them, beats finding fillings....:laughing:

Dew

Nice finds

If it wasn't a replica,why would someone soder a neckalace link on it,i would have incased it,im sure Dew if you wanted a better opinion on the reale try treasure.net shipwreck forum,cool find's for sure,Earl

SM.... i had another one and i did ask over there they didnt seem to have the answer of even what it was. They have coins shows occasionally around sometimes there are some real knowledgable people.... until then into the safe it goes i guess.

That looks too small to be a 8 reale

If it were a real...8 reale it should weigh 28 grams or in that area. Here are a few Cobbs...in the photo of the 3 cobbs the one on the far left is a Atocha replica made from Mel's silver..the other 2 are beach found cobbs

Attachments

• 392420_3307048469780_825318993_n.jpg
    392420_3307048469780_825318993_n.jpg
    8.8 KB · Views: 477
  • 546405_3307028229274_225314149_n.jpg
    546405_3307028229274_225314149_n.jpg
    28.6 KB · Views: 462
  • 557927_3307049349802_2129881129_n.jpg
    557927_3307049349802_2129881129_n.jpg
    69.2 KB · Views: 474
Why did you have to go do that in my easter basket craig.:laughing: Reale or not real its all good and it is silver.... so worth what $5? Im richer than i started out.

Dew

It's silver

Yes it is still a nice find!! You got gold too!! have a new loop sodered on it and wear it! I have seen many real Reale's With loops sodered on them...most beach found reale's do not have much value anyway...unless you can prove they came from such & such ship. NICE HUNT AND NICE FINDS!

All i know

Is id like to find the real deal one day,i have a Mel fisher Rep,of a 8 reale made from a silver bar from the atocha wreck,on a 14k gold rope chain,i bought in 2010 when i hunted the treasure coast for 2 full weeks,if i lived in Florida i would have the real deal,one day Dew,happy hunting nice finds

It was a great day out,,,,too bad all I ended up with was the silver necklace,,,when I untangled it, it was a little necklace,,,my clad was only 4.38. the targets were a little sparce but I think we found a new spot for this time of the year,,,,got rough real quick,,,,,good thing we started early,,,at least we paid the dang gas,,,,:laughing:some of the water stuff we found was freshly dropped stuff,,,,,,that was a great pick up on that tiny gold,,,,ya know Dew, what feels worse,,,,taking a persons wedding ring or a baby's first born ring,,,,:laughing:cause that was from a toddler,,,too small for a kid,,,,cool find on the cobb,,,,:cool:

dang it,,,,,,,,,,you know what? that cobb came right near where I got the tiny necklace,,,,,the cobb was heavy for the size of the necklace I had but sure makes you wonder,,,,,,,,,,

Thats some nice finds no matter what! You can wear it and not worry about it. I'd be a happy camper with that one!

Back
Top Bottom