Research Question?

boot

I have been doing some research on an old picnic grove in my area and I don't know where to begin. However, I do know who the owner of it was back in the 1890s, and I also know what village it was located in. I was wondering, in order to possibly find the location, is there a way to find out from past county tax records what land the guy owned. If this is so, then I might be able to possibly locate the general vicinity of the grove. Can this be done?

It can be done. You just need to talk to the people with the records. Usually they'll make copies for you for around $5.

boot said:
However, I do know who the owner of it was back in the 1890s, and I also know what village it was located in.  I was wondering, in order to possibly find the location, is there a way to find out from past county tax records what land the guy owned.

I think you've answered 90% of your question already. Go the the tax office to get the records. If they're not there, they will point you in the right direction. It's all foot work from here. ;)

This grove that I am researching began in probably the mid-1880s and the last picnic was in 1899. It was a very popular resort in which thousands attended it each season.

Sounds very similar to something I've researched already and will be detecting this May.

you might also ask at the local church. They prolly had outings there and may be in the arcives/records.

Back
Top Bottom