Old church - now gone

OkieDigger

Forum Chipmunk
Forum Supporter
If everything works out with the permissions, I hope to be detecting a spot where an old church used to be. The B&W map is from 1912. The color aerial is the site today. I've driven out there and I can find no evidence of a foundation or location. Wish me luck!

Attachments

• 1912church.JPG
    1912church.JPG
    7.9 KB · Views: 238
  • 1912church2.JPG
    1912church2.JPG
    24.2 KB · Views: 220
If I had to guess I would think the stand of trees would have been leftovers from this. Is that where you are looking?

Attachments

• church.JPG
    church.JPG
    24.4 KB · Views: 214
Great research, OD!

For those of us who haven't taken that step, could you tell us how you go from old map to aerial image to locating property owners, please?

Thanks!

OH

Steve, locating property owners unfortunately has little to do with these pictures. I'm basically going to have to drive around and knock on doors. I'm pretty sure the house just north is the owner. But as far as the pictures go...someone was nice enough to send me the 1912 map of my county. The aerial shot is from Google Earth.

jpbbennett, it's actually just to the south of your circle. Those tress are pretty young. I believe the church was at the north end of the hay field.

Have you tried pulling recent plat maps to determine the owner? Many libraries have them available and if you know the section it should be easy to determine. Then use a phone book and see if you can find them in the area.

Like the detective work!

tax maps have become my friend. Go to your county clerks office and you can find maps with the property's numbered with a tax number. then i go to my county's web site and look up the numbers to see who ownes the property in question, it is all public record. I get blue print size copy's of the maps for $5 a peice. it has really been worth my while.HH

OkieDigger said:
If everything works out with the permissions, I hope to be detecting a spot where an old church used to be. The B&W map is from 1912. The color aerial is the site today. I've driven out there and I can find no evidence of a foundation or location. Wish me luck!

I would recommend heading over to the local FSA office, they likely have aerials going back to the 1930's, maybe there's some traces of it then.

Here's a search map to find your local county FSA office in OK:
http://offices.sc.egov.usda.gov/loc...yMap&state=OK&stateName=Oklahoma&stateCode=40

Just out of the pic. The map itself is HUGE. It's one of the old 125,000:1 maps. So I just cut the important part out ;)

okiedigger, i hope you have better luck with ustabe buildings. 'round these parts the common practice is to set fire to the building. when all that will burn burns, drops into the basement. then the remainder of any foundation is busted up, and thrown in, followed by whatever surrounding dirt (where the good stuff is) that is required to fill up the rest of the basement and level things out. that leaves you trying to find the good stuff where the building ustabe with a usually metal roof for a background. not hh

We don't have a whole lot of basements in this part of Oklahoma so I should be good :grin:

Back
Top Bottom