1810 classic head large cent*Rev war buckle ? & buttons

Buckle

Dave,

The Batwing style buckles you dig around your area are certainly Revolutionary War issue. Most all the buckles are sand-cast brass and were bulky and heavy for military service.

The buckle sizes often range and were probably used for different things however the larger buckles were Cross Plate Buckles for carrying the swords. It was almost like the civil war Carbine Sling Buckle. It was a leather belt that went across the shoulder down to the hip. It adjusted with one of the large buckles which were usually positioned at the chest. I'm pretty sure that this was a style used by the British forces . The Americans often used the large Figure-Eight Buckles for their Sword Belt Plates.

A large number of Batwing Buckles have been dug around the camps outside The Battle of Saratoga; among others. I have dug several around the Peninsula area here in Virginia. I’m referring to private property outside the Yorktown, Virginia area.

These are great buckles so anytime you dig those batwing style buckles, I'd be very happy.

Good Luck and Great Digs!

John

Dave,

The Batwing style buckles you dig around your area are certainly Revolutionary War issue. Most all the buckles are sand-cast brass and were bulky and heavy for military service.

The buckle sizes often range and were probably used for different things however the larger buckles were Cross Plate Buckles for carrying the swords. It was almost like the civil war Carbine Sling Buckle. It was a leather belt that went across the shoulder down to the hip. It adjusted with one of the large buckles which were usually positioned at the chest. I'm pretty sure that this was a style used by the British forces . The Americans often used the large Figure-Eight Buckles for their Sword Belt Plates.

A large number of Batwing Buckles have been dug around the camps outside The Battle of Saratoga; among others. I have dug several around the Peninsula area here in Virginia. I’m referring to private property outside the Yorktown, Virginia area.

These are great buckles so anytime you dig those batwing style buckles, I'd be very happy.

Good Luck and Great Digs!

John
awesome John! thanks for taking the time to write all this info!
Dave

Nice Hunt Dave!

Glad to see you added to your copper count!

Was this the site where the we both went to with the large root cellar along the side of the road, way up in the NW part of the state?

Huh.. any idea what the thing is that says patent? I found something near here thats exactly like that, I accidentally broke mine in about the same place yours is.

I was at our MD club meeting tonight and one of the members ID'd the part that has PATENT on it. It is a pad lock keyhole cover that would swing to either side for access to the keyhole.

Back
Top Bottom