Found 4 things today that top anything I have ever found!

FoundInNC

Time: Today, 12pm-6pm
Site: Bingham Military School ruins, 1865-1891

Today was started off the same at the school, just filling my pocket with random small pieces of copper and scrap, but immediately I hit on a "dime" at 6 inches and dug it. I popped it out of the ground and thought at first sight that it was a 2 cent piece, but it was actually a hammered out BS Script button! I was very excited about that! Second, I hit on a "pulltab" at 3 inches and rolled what i believe to be a large cent out! It is completely smooth and I cannot make any details out. It is not corroded but my friend said it was a "woody" and I dont really know what that means, but I am going to look at it closely tonight to see if i can tell what kind of coin it is. Third, I dug an "iron" target. I normally dont dig those but this one just seemed different. Im glad I dug it, because it was a hammer off of a musket! Dont know what kind of gun it was but it has a hammer on the side, thats all i know. The last thing was what i decided to call it a day on. I had predetermined that the next decent target I dug was going to be the one I took it to the house on, and I dug a shotgun shell top, and I ignored that one and kept searching. Glad I did, because 3 minutes later I had pulled this copper item with US on it out of the ground from 4 inches! I have no idea what it is but I can tell you that it has old leather in the back of it. Any ideas????? PLEASE GIVE ME YOUR INPUT ON THIS! This has been my greatest day ever metal detecting! Thanks for looking!

*****Someone asked me what the shotgun shells I found were and I looked them up and suprisingly the one that says W.R.A.Co RIVAL No. 12 dates 1884 to 1897! The other 2 are UMC Co New club 12 gauges and could not find any info about them on the web. Did not know that these could be collectable!

*****I just figured out what the US Brass relic is. I found a picture of exactly the same thing! It is a civil war bayonette clip off of a trapdoor rifle! The hammer lock plate is most likely off a springfield trapdoor rifle as well! Still havent seen any recognizable markings on the slick copper coin. I am very pleased with finding out what the us plate was! here is a link if you want to see it.

http://www.neaca.com/images/Civil_War_US_Bayonet_with_Metal_Scabbard_2_.JPG

Here is a link for what the hammer lock plate looked like in its prime!

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl...&ndsp=15&ved=1t:429,r:0,s:17&biw=1024&bih=585

I have just figured out a year range for the coin I found. It is a large cent as I supposed, and the only thing I can make out is ETY on the top right. The only large cent coins that have ETY on the top are 1793-1807!(the word being liberty of course) So, I am pleased with the coin find even though that is all I can see on it!

Attachments

• 0829102003.jpg
    0829102003.jpg
    31.3 KB · Views: 587
  • 0829102008.jpg
    0829102008.jpg
    32.7 KB · Views: 576
  • 0829102006.jpg
    0829102006.jpg
    30.2 KB · Views: 582
  • 0829102009.jpg
    0829102009.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 567
  • 0829102007.jpg
    0829102007.jpg
    34.5 KB · Views: 598
  • 0829102015.jpg
    0829102015.jpg
    40.9 KB · Views: 582
Last edited:
Great finds! You had a day like I dream about! Congrats! What did the shotgun headstamp read? Someone will answer your question soon.

Doug

Oh man, take me out thereeeee with you!! lol

Dunno what the US item is, can't wait to find out though.

Great finds! You had a day like I dream about! Congrats! What did the shotgun headstamp read? Someone will answer your question soon.

Doug

Hey man, I was just sorting through my "junk" bag and found that I actually dug 3 shotgun shells. Two of them are the same and read umc CO no 12 New Club and one of them reads W.R.A.co No 12 RIVAL. I had to do some brushing to read them!

Oh man, take me out thereeeee with you!! lol

Dunno what the US item is, can't wait to find out though.

I want to know what the coin and the US item are so bad I cant stand it! I hunt this spot through my club, Its only 25 bucks a year to join! And they only meet once a month 11x per year! You can win silver if you find the best relic jewelry or coin!

Ok you need to go back and dig up ALL the iron targets!!! Find the rest of that musket! WTG!

Haha I know right? I would if there weren't 7 million busted woodstoves out there! They are as common as twist tops in a park!

That stinks. I know how that is. My front yard has tiny bits of an old cast iron stove spread out all over the place. They give good solid iron tones but usually end up being junk. You may want to consider getting a machine that'll overload so you know if it is a large target and dig only the big signals. Good luck and thanks for sharing.

Very nice finds! I think the scabbard belt hook is not too common, it's the first one I've seen posted on the forums. But I'm not a CW junkie, so I could be wrong. Congrats.

Great finds and a good job Iding them . Congrats ona good hunt . Thanks for sharing them with us .

Harold

Back
Top Bottom