Went To The Lake

Pyrotechx

Well, I decided to test out my Tesoro Silver Umax some more and fiddle with the settings some more, while at the lake. One thing I will say... Holy freaking trash. I wanted to try it in "all metal" mode, and not 15 steps, i must have beeped 20 times. So, deciding against digging every beep (it was gravel/dried out clay, very hard stuff to dig), I set it on discriminate. That didnt really help much :(. I dug maybe 5 times before getting tired of chewing my way through the dirt 1/2 an inch a time.

I headed over to the volleyball court, and ended up spending 10 minutes digging one hole to find out it was a nail that was used to hold down the sand tarp :(.

I have decided that I really want a pin pointer. Even at 24, I found it hard to keep having to pick up my detector and scan a quick area over and over!

The day was not completely lost. I ended up finding this, although it doesnt feel like I really detected it. It beeped on my detector, but was covered by a very thin layer of sand, almost poking out. It says "Republica De Guatemala" and "2006" as the year. Nothing old, but quite odd to see in a Kansas volleyball court at the lake o.O

21j17gy.jpg

If anyone has any tips on how I should set this Tesoro Silver Umax, lemme know! Cause its frustrating the crap outta me lol.

I hate digging trash! Its really discouraging. Congrats on whatever that is that you found though?!

Thanks! After doing a little bit of research I found out it is 1 Quetzal, worth .12 american dollars, or 12 cents :). Ah well, wasnt the thousand dollar coin I was hoping for, but still an odd find in kansas :P

Oh, and I also made a hand made sand scoop (12$ from my locla hardware store), it turned out pretty nice! It was fun giving it a try today...worked very well!

Howdy - don't get discouraged... keep learning the machine... I know, I heard that a ton, but its true. If the place you are at is too trashy, try somewhere else... you can always come back to the trashy place later after you learn the machine some more. Once you find a decent item or two, you will be hooked. Head to a school yard... a frequented park etc... just try elsewhere for a bit. I know early on, I hit a trashy place and got frustrated pretty quick... I am still reltively new to my Silver uMax as well... but have in the past 1-2 months... landed a total of 11 rings and other odds and ends jewelry... much of it real silver, and some unknown at this time as I have not really taken the time yet to clean all as well as I could.

After much experimenting, I like to hunt in either AM or right below iron... again, keep learning the machine... it will start to click... find a different place, not as trashy - for now anyways. School yards, set a path, and sweep it, if its too trashy for you, move over a few feet and try again... then, when you hit the end of the path, reverse and hit the next sweep back... you will learn it. Then, first neat item or three... you are hooked! Trust me. :D

Howdy - don't get discouraged... keep learning the machine... I know, I heard that a ton, but its true. If the place you are at is too trashy, try somewhere else... you can always come back to the trashy place later after you learn the machine some more. Once you find a decent item or two, you will be hooked. Head to a school yard... a frequented park etc... just try elsewhere for a bit. I know early on, I hit a trashy place and got frustrated pretty quick... I am still reltively new to my Silver uMax as well... but have in the past 1-2 months... landed a total of 11 rings and other odds and ends jewelry... much of it real silver, and some unknown at this time as I have not really taken the time yet to clean all as well as I could.

After much experimenting, I like to hunt in either AM or right below iron... again, keep learning the machine... it will start to click... find a different place, not as trashy - for now anyways. School yards, set a path, and sweep it, if its too trashy for you, move over a few feet and try again... then, when you hit the end of the path, reverse and hit the next sweep back... you will learn it. Then, first neat item or three... you are hooked! Trust me. :D

Quality advice! Thanks a ton, ill give it a try tomorrow!

Oh yeah, one other thing... if you still get really discouraged... set the machine to Disc at right below the 1c/zinc. Then dig solid hits... at least you'll get some coins and feel a bit rewarded. :D

Worked for me...

Lastly, do you have a pinpointer yet? If not, really added to the enjoyment of hunting for me... really shortens the retrieval time etc. Plus, I really like gadgets that work so it just adds to the fun for me anyways.

I started with the Harbor Freight one... really liked it and thought "don't get much better than this" (especially for the price). Anyways, long story short, later after being hooked on the hobby... also went and bought the Garrett Pro-Pointer... all I can say is "Wow!" - it rocks. But there are enough posts about this and other pin pointers. Go with a have fun attitude... and if you find anything of value.... icing on the cake. :D

Let us know how you make out. Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom