1 Dive 5 Targets

ScubaDetective

In Memory Of
Forum Supporter
I had an appointment at the Detroit VA hospital today so I decided to take my gear and try a dive. I also thought I would try something new.

I get out there and go out to the deep muck. This muck is so deep unless there is a belt buckle down there, a half dollar, or a swim tag you don't get a signal anywhere. So I decide to move the muck around and listen to faint targets. Well I got 5 of them. As 1898 Barber quarter, a 1926 SLQ, a junk bracelet, a buckle and a woman's bath tag for the 1st locker.

I didn't get a sim card for the camera last night. Going today to get that and try to set the camera up.

I am VERY glad I only made one dive. I came home to a box on my porch. BOTH my Fisher CZ-21's with the 8" coils came back from First Texas. Glad no package thieves decided to run off with this one!

I am sure there are dimes and rings way way down in the muck. I can't wait to get back there with my 8" coil. That 10.5 is tiring me out while I am playing.

Last edited:
Pretty cool, nice job. What's the muck like? :) Imagining black sand/algae mix that sticks to your dive gear :grin:

Pretty cool, nice job. What's the muck like? :) Imagining black sand/algae mix that sticks to your dive gear :grin:

Ever use Elmer's paste when you were a kid? About as thick as it is. Suction pulls you down if you step in it.

It isn't silt or anything you can swing a machine in, I wish. It has to be moved to get down to the gravel about a foot or more down and then the finds are buried in the gravel.

I don't think I even moved a 10 X10 foot section on one tank. Couldn't see anything almost the whole dive.

Really too bad you can't blow that !!!! out of there, the little dive scooter you got wouldn't even make a dent?

Still a good day out scuba, love those old silvers!! We have that muck here too. When you step in it the harder you pull the harder it pulls back. One reason I did get the scooter, yet to try yet.

You need a mini-dredge.

yhst-8927086896656_2271_8008305

http://www.goldfeverprospecting.com/drforgoin.html

LOL, island is run by the state conservation office. I have already beat the Detroit Police. Dredging is illegal here in Michigan. I really don't think I want to try a run in with the state! Not my idea of having fun.

Hmmm, illegal ay? Well, laws are meant to be changed--write a letter to your state reps. Be careful in that muck, and don't get stuck! :shock:

Hmmm, illegal ay? Well, laws are meant to be changed--write a letter to your state reps. Be careful in that muck, and don't get stuck! :shock:

Naa. I go slow and I have a tank on. I am safe. Got my camera working tonight. I will TRY to get a picture of it before I stir it up next time I go out there.

I saw the stander and was excited. I didn't know the other one was a Barber until after I got out. I usually don't look at my finds but I was surprised I got a quarter out there. Now that I know they are out there and I got my CZ-21 - 8 back today, I will go slower and more methodical.

A water pump on my boat with a hose and nozzle might blow all that muck away but it would take years and years.

Naa. I go slow and I have a tank on. I am safe. Got my camera working tonight. I will TRY to get a picture of it before I stir it up next time I go out there.

I saw the stander and was excited. I didn't know the other one was a Barber until after I got out. I usually don't look at my finds but I was surprised I got a quarter out there. Now that I know they are out there and I got my CZ-21 - 8 back today, I will go slower and more methodical.

A water pump on my boat with a hose and nozzle might blow all that muck away but it would take years and years.

Hose, nozzle, leaf blower! :laughing:

Ever use Elmer's paste when you were a kid? About as thick as it is. Suction pulls you down if you step in it.

It isn't silt or anything you can swing a machine in, I wish. It has to be moved to get down to the gravel about a foot or more down and then the finds are buried in the gravel.

I don't think I even moved a 10 X10 foot section on one tank. Couldn't see anything almost the whole dive.

Wow, that sounds like some nasty stuff indeed. Be careful out there.

Our bay is full of muck in the middle. The island is all fill, as kids we felt proud to dive down @12' and come up with a muck covered arm....you could not see so you kept your arm out stretched till it sank in to your elbow.
Never found a SLQ on land or in the water....never found a silver coin in the water, period!!
GL on the next one.
DL

Back
Top Bottom