Waterproof Compadré launch

GroundSweeper

Forum Supporter
Getting ready to follow a few fellows on here and turn a spare 8" Compadré I have into a waterproof machine finally.

Bought the detector used of CL for $80. Used it awhile and it's a Compadré...

Bought a Plano waterproof box, some heyco cable clamps, and ip67 rated switch. Going to use a 1/4" earbud extension from a lifeproof iPhone case so I can plug in any earbud. (I use one earbud only when I hunt).

Debating the shaft options, really want a collapsible <= 2' option, but not overly simple with the need for the stock plastic lower shaft.

So far, about $22 or so in parts.

Don't have a ton of free time but want to get this built. Soon!

More to follow, Happy hunting!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 781
Hoping to use a no-hole mounting idea I have so I don't have to drill holes into the waterproof box for mounting purposes. 2 holes required - earbud and coil. 3rd likely for on/off switch (debating necessity, but a nicety) and zero for mounting.

Your well on your way to a sweet set up. I built one and call it the Water Weasel. It's cheap waterproof fun!

Nice!

Good luck and happy water hunting! Looking forward to seeing your gold rings.:yes:

Golds been hiding from me this year so far :(

Made some progress today. Need to do a water test, then drop the guts in!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 664
Well I discovered today that the face plate will fit sideways in the water box. So it will still have the front name plate. Water weasel is a nice alliteration but it's taken ;)

We'll have to see!
Yeah. I named the Compadre - Water Weasel and the Ace 250 - Lake Looter. I never named the Coinmaster because it wasn't good at jewelry and quickly went back to the original configuration and sold.

That's its name then. Gold Siren it is! For dang sure. Anything dubbed by the mighty, awesome, and infamous Ice Scratcher is it! Thanks Ice!

Wait a minute; maybe Water Scratcher! ;)

Edit.. I'm flattered by the string of compliments too.. :blush2::blush::thankyou::thankyou::thankyou:

Glad you like it, I think it's an awesome name. Water scratcher not so much..:D

<°)))>{

Edit.. I'm flattered by the string of compliments too.. :blush2::blush::thankyou::thankyou::thankyou:

Glad you like it, I think it's an awesome name. Water scratcher not so much..:D

<°)))>{

With 51 golds you're a legend ;)

My Tesoro 'Gold Siren' is undergoing leak testing for an hour as I type this out.

No electronics inside until it proves tight :)

Fingers crossed. 6 solder spots to finish it, then mounting work. Still want a collapsible shaft too....

That's a cloth wrapped brick holding it down at the bottom of a 5 gal bucket of water.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 625
The deeper you go the more pressure.. Is there a deep river, or at least a boat ramp near by? You could duct tape it to a broomstick and shove it under a lot more..

I understand that it would probably not be used that deep.. But it would be a better test than a shallow bucket, if it doesn't leak at four feet for twenty minutes, then it should be good at twenty inches all day.. Using a thin coating of silicone based grease on the o-ring will help ensure proper seating/sealing of the gasket and will prolong its life as well..

Looking forward to the loot!!!

<°)))>{

The deeper you go the more pressure.. Is there a deep river, or at least a boat ramp near by? You could duct tape it to a broomstick and shove it under a lot more..

I understand that it would probably not be used that deep.. But it would be a better test than a shallow bucket, if it doesn't leak at four feet for twenty minutes, then it should be good at twenty inches all day.. Using a thin coating of silicone based grease on the o-ring will help ensure proper seating/sealing of the gasket and will prolong its life as well..

Looking forward to the loot!!!

<°)))>{

True, I should have used a trash can full of water but we're in a drought :lol:

Nah, I really should have gone deeper for the test but I'm not planning on going very deep, waist deep at the most. The lake near me they drop the water in the winter so I can even stay dry and go deep, and the rivers are not too deep where I go. Rivers are tough with the rocks.

Buttoned it up and it tests well. Need to devise my "no holes" mount to the shaft and maybe a straight shaft as well. Collapsible shaft is my dream but it may have to wait.

The Gold Siren:
Everythings kinda shoved in there so it isn't overly pretty, but wanted to keep the faceplate as is as it holds the switch inline with the discrim setting I like (I in Iron). Liking the on/off switch - glad I sprung for the switch.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 633
I'm not here to steal your thunder because your mod looks wonderful. But I thought you might get an idea from my "no holes" mount. I just bent a piece of aluminum and used zip ties.

Attachments

• Weasel1.jpg
    Weasel1.jpg
    16 KB · Views: 579
I'm not here to steal your thunder because your mod looks wonderful. But I thought you might get an idea from my "no holes" mount. I just bent a piece of aluminum and used zip ties.

No thunder issues here :lol: appreciate your posts!

That's what I'm talking about! I was thinking a flat panel and zip ties or Velcro straps. Thanks for the pic!

No thunder issues here :lol: appreciate your posts!

That's what I'm talking about! I was thinking a flat panel and zip ties or Velcro straps. Thanks for the pic!
The ties are a PITA! I will probably switch to velcro myself. I did have my disc set to the "I" on iron. But I was hitting such tiny pieces of foil and such I had to crank it up to just above iron.

Back
Top Bottom