What do you mark your targets with?

73cj5

Elite Member
I am using an open style coil, F2 or tesoro, and when I find a target, I am marking it with a screwdriver. I then hit it with the PP and then dig.

Is there anything else to mark it with?

I am thinking maybe a plastic checker?

What do you guys use. A lot of the time, I have to recheck myself to make sure I have the right location.

I have also been using a drywall saw to cut plugs, works pretty good until my lesche gets here:)

I would caution using anything that you have to stick in the ground for fear of accidentally striking a good coin and ruining it. If I have to mark a location (I usually do this when training somebody), I use the top of a Play-dough can. Also, air hockey pucks work well.

It is worth noting that if a coin is not laying flat, the orientation of the coin to the pin pointer using the MD coil can be off, regardless of how hard you try to pin point it.

I'd carry golf tee's and tag known objects like quarters, dimes and pennies for the old man following me so I could keep swinging for gold :yes: he would have a bag of coins and I would have a sack of pulltabs... made from wood they don't hurt nothing

I mark them with my vision and stare at it until I dig. I'll put my shoe toe at-it sometimes. Basically though, I see the spot and keep focus, laydown the detector and get after it. martin

I like the golf tee idea!
I usually use my finger and then stick my probe in the ground in it's place. If my family is hunting with me, then they'll mark spots with whatever is at hand while I'm digging the previous location.

I don't use anything, I just keep my eye on the spot, bend over and start digging.
However I have see a few videos of people marking their spots and the best one to me was a simple plastic poker chip,
Bright, flat works well.
Just make sure you don't use one of the heavier ones with the weights in them.

I normally don't use anything. But if I want to mark multiple hits in an area before I dig on private property I have used white golf tees and I paint the tops bright orange. Easy to see and harmless to use.

I take my Sampson digger and twist it to make a small hole. Maybe the size of a quarter. In fine yards I just stare at the spot.

I always mark my spots by peeing on them. Seems to work really well. I almost NEVER see another MD'r..
You too!
:laughing:
I mark them with my vision and stare at it until I dig. I'll put my shoe toe at-it sometimes. Basically though, I see the spot and keep focus, laydown the detector and get after it. martin
Same as me. I do carry a few orange golf tees too, in case of multiple hits in a very small area (think spill). I'll mark several around the outside to dig first, and work my way progressivly in this manner to the center in a spiral 'til I have it all.

I'd carry golf tee's and tag known objects like quarters, dimes and pennies for the old man following me so I could keep swinging for gold :yes: he would have a bag of coins and I would have a sack of pulltabs... made from wood they don't hurt nothing

I use the same thing. I wag my coil over it put the tee in front then wag over it again to see if the signal stops in about the same spot. If all is well then I use my probe to narrow it down on shallow targets.

Wooden popsicle sticks, some I used a red Sharpie for top inch to make the easier to keep track of.

Works for me as well... I eyeball the location, then use the PP to see if it is near the surface.. really simple to get that way. If the PP does not detect the target, I'll dig a plug only then to get down and locate it closer.

Many times with the Pro Pointer, I only have to pop coins.

If your in no hurry to dig then go to any hardware store and get those orange wire marker flags then go back and dig them up when you get ready to leave.

Back
Top Bottom