A valuable lesson today

woodyww

Today I learned that Corona bottle caps ring up as copper pennies if relatively new. If they are significantly corroded they run up as dimes. Someone had a good weekend at the local park where no alcoholic beverages are allowed. Haha. This is with a White's MX Sport with a Detecht 7" DD.

Today I learned that Corona bottle caps ring up as copper pennies if relatively new. If they are significantly corroded they run up as dimes. Someone had a good weekend at the local park where no alcoholic beverages are allowed. Haha. This is with a White's MX Sport with a Detecht 7" DD.

I had the same problem with my MXS. For me, the slightly corroded ones sounded like pennies (70-74) and the clean ones sounded like quarters (83-84). I would have used my V3i for that particular hunt, but, it was raining.

On my X-Terra 70, new bottles caps are discriminated with iron, however, some of the older, more rusted caps, read in the high 30's and 40's (max. number on the Xterra is 48)

woodyww, are you talking about crown caps ? Or aluminum screw caps ?

If you were referring to crown cap type, try this: Next time you suspect a crown cap, play with the swing speed over the suspected target. Momentarily speed up the swing. I believe you will see that if they are crown caps (versus penny or dime), they will start to "break up". Versus if they are a coin, they remain the same sound or get better.

This was ESPECIALLY pronounced on the fast-swing machines of yesteryear (6000d, 6db, etc...), but .... is still there a teensy bit on new machines. Crown caps behave differently with speed-of-clip.

woodyww, are you talking about crown caps ? Or aluminum screw caps ?

If you were referring to crown cap type, try this: Next time you suspect a crown cap, play with the swing speed over the suspected target. Momentarily speed up the swing. I believe you will see that if they are crown caps (versus penny or dime), they will start to "break up". Versus if they are a coin, they remain the same sound or get better.

This was ESPECIALLY pronounced on the fast-swing machines of yesteryear (6000d, 6db, etc...), but .... is still there a teensy bit on new machines. Crown caps behave differently with speed-of-clip.
They were indeed crown caps. This was a new place to detect for me and I have only had the MX Sport for 2 months, so I am pretty much digging everything just to understand the machine better. Thanks for the advice. I will give it a try next time I am over there.

Back
Top Bottom