Any guesses on these 'rocks?'

Stunmi

Elite Member
Hello all- I put the word rocks in quotes because we identified what material they are, just not how they were formed and why they were found where they were.

Posting this for my MD buddy. He was checking his yard for clad and whatnot and found 3 of these 'rocks' that triggered his MD. Rocks were found in different corners of his good size yard, not all bunched together.

He brought them to me and sure enough they rang 36 on my Xterra. After tossing different ideas back and forth he went over to my bandsaw and cut one in half- it is clearly an aluminum nugget, or drop, whatever the proper name is.

So, what, where, when, and why? A little background- His home was built in 1974, central Florida. Doubtful that any home was there before his housing track was built. Don't laugh but we even wondered if it 'dropped out of the sky' as NASA is close, and also flight path to Orlando Int Airport is overhead- but as he is probably 15-20 miles north the planes are still very high in the sky. He glassbeaded one of them and it is obvious that they have been in the ground awhile as corrosion pitting is taking place.

These little nuggets appear that a large drop of molten aluminum solidified somehow, but can't think of how it would happen naturally. Also no other signs of 'metal crafting' going on previously in the yard. A third nugget not pictured appears to have a tiny 'spigot' if you will on the top.

Any ideas?

Attachments

• rocks1.JPG
    rocks1.JPG
    131.3 KB · Views: 574
  • rocks2.jpg
    rocks2.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 577
Aluminum as we know it doesn't appear naturally. It's refined from bauxite, which this is not. The grain pattern doesn't look like typical aluminum slag either.

If you know for sure its aluminum, odds are Joe Schmoe was smelting beer cans for giggles. Otherwise, if you can post a close up hi res image of the outer and the grain, it shouldn't be too hard to identify.

Aluminum as we know it doesn't appear naturally. It's refined from bauxite, which this is not. The grain pattern doesn't look like typical aluminum slag either.

If you know for sure its aluminum, odds are Joe Schmoe was smelting beer cans for giggles. Otherwise, if you can post a close up hi res image of the outer and the grain, it shouldn't be too hard to identify.

Are you looking at grain pattern or saw marks? Looks like melted aluminum to me.

Are you looking at grain pattern or saw marks? Looks like melted aluminum to me.

Grain. I took an interest in rock hounding when I started hiking a lot. What threw me was the dark outer. I've never dug any aluminum like that.

Agree on aluminum not occurring naturally, which is why I struggled for a term to call them and used 'rocks' and 'nuggets' in quotes.

I know what you are saying about melting beer cans, but that is is not as easy as it sounds as they not only burn but have the paint contamination. Yes it is a stretch that someone had a mini foundry with crucible and high heat source etc, but looking at his house doesn't appear that way as it is a small modular house that was dropped in, no garage or even carport. Guess anything is possible, just can't picture it. Has anyone found these before?

Do you remember where, and the circumstances that put them there?

Large fire pit on my property that got bulldozed when clearing it for my house (by previous owners). My guess is that's how you got those. A campfire will melt aluminum, just not into balls.

Back
Top Bottom