Need advice,please help

huffy

Hi everyone,I am fairly new to metal detecting(had a $29 Radio Shack one as a kid).I bought a Whites Classic III new in the box at a good price and want to use it mostly at the beach.I plan to go in the sand and also up to my knee's in the water.I live in the Niagara Penninsula in Canada.Within an hours drive I have 50 miles of beaches to the north of me and 50 miles of beaches to the south of me.

I have the time(retired) to go to the beach everyday in the summer.Any tips or techniques go guys could give me would be great,I know that I should have gotten a water-proof detector but I didn't for 2 reasons.I want to make sure I stick with it and I hate the water,up to my knee's or so is good for me,I live in Costa Rica in the winter now and will probably get a water-proof one for there but Lake Erie and Lake Ontario give my eyes infections every time,even with goggles so never again.

Thanx,any help would be great,Huffy.

Welcome to the forum Huffy... Pray is my best advice taking a land machine into the water... I would never do that.. All you have to do is get a little water in the battieries or control box and you might as well make a lamp out of your detector. Land machines are not going to get the depth you need to get the deep finds... You might find some fresh drops but the deep stuff will be out of your range.

I suggest you stay on land but you could try wet dirt/sand and save up for a waterproof detector.

Hi,thanks for the reply,very new to metal detecting I was wondering how deep would rings and stuff be at the beach ?

Since the beach constantly changes , targets can range from surface to as low as the "clay" layer is. This ususally stops the coins from sinking further.This can be more than 18" in some cases. The beuty of it all is that changing condition of the beach. One day you get skunked the next you get the treasure. Good Luck. :yes:

I see,that makes sense,I just bought the new Viper machine and I'm putting up a new post.

The Viper is not going to give you depth... my ex employee bought one it couldn't get past 4 inches in the wet sand. I read another board and a guy over there said he couldn't detect a dime 2 inches down.

With Beach and water hunting you need special equipment and its not cheap but the rewards for spending the money can be great.

I bought a PI PRO from TonyCT one of our board sponsors and its been the best for me... Last July I started using it and I have 141 rings but saying that its not only the detector, you have to know where to hunt and how to read a beach.. Lots of guys are happy finding clad on a beach, not me I'm not after clad. I'll will buy another beach machine soon and its going to be expensive but all it takes is one great find and its paid for.

If I were you... I would return that detector and get a beach machine, I do not believe you are going to be happy with your selection. BeachHunter, CZ20, Excal, EXplorerII are excellant for beach use, there are others but these are my picks.

Hi,I was out and popped on to see what you guys thought,I called and cancelled my order for the Viper,I think I will look around this site for a used one.I thank everybody here because I'm new to this and don't want a sub-par machine to turn me of the sport.I'll look around here to-nite.

Huffy... You made the right choice... Keep looking around and save your money and you will be much happier. :)

Absolutely, do some research on detectors in your price range before you buy, and ask opinions (as you did).

Good luck in your search for a detector. I hope the one you choose is everything you want it to be. Keep us posted on your progress!

HH!

A detector is only as good as the user Bugguy... I have hunted circles around guys with an excal.... Its a better overall detector but its not as deep as a PI in the water, Sure its better than a PI for hunting in the dry stuff and some wet... Another thing... Huffy has said he is on a budget and an excal is not a budget machine and most can't use it out of the box, you have to buy a straight shaft and hip mount the electronics.

Hi Huffy, Theres a great bunch of Guys & Gals on her that can give some real good advice on just about anything! I would take a look at any of the Minelab detectors or a White's PI unit if you plan on hunting the water, wet & dry salt sand. A web site for helpful tips is,,

http://www.thegoldenolde.com/

Good Luck in choosing the best detector for you,,H.H.:-)

Hi,thanks to eveybody on the site,I came on here(the forum) giong to use a land detector in the water,then I almost bought a Viper,finally after reading all you guys here and another forum I bought a White's Surfmaster Pro PI.I can't wait to go out and try it,Huffy.

Huffy

Just don't get frustrated with it using it in the dry sand it will find every little piece of metal down deep... its why I posted I really only like using it in the water from waist deep to chest deep water... Take your time learning your detector and buy a big scoop, the bigger the better.

I bought a Bill Babbs scoop from one of our sponsors here Mr.Bill from surfscanners its a aluminum scoop with a stainless lip its light but very strong, I have dug in rocks with it and it still looks like new after almost a year of hard digging. They are not cheap but what really is with our hobby?

One more thing... listen for a break in the threshold or whisper signal signals like this are usually deep coins or gold... keep your coil even through out your entire swing, I scrub the bottom so I bought a coil cover as well and sealed it with silicone so sand doesn't get between the coil and the coil cover that is important so you don't get falsing.

Back
Top Bottom