At pro 5x8 coils used market, ever show up

OneStudPuppy

Forum Supporter
So I'm almost complete on my gear set up, getting closer.
What I have noticed is seems the at pro waterproof 5x8 coils.
Always seem to show on the used market as a package deal item etc.

Just curious from the old timers how often to they pop up solo on the market?

I haven't found a reason to use my amazon rewards points but I'm starting to think I may have a reason.

And it seems everyone raves about these compared To the stock coil,
Thoughts??

Thanks all

Most everyone seems to like the 5 x 8 better than the stock coil, because it's lighter and easier to swing. So you won't see many of them on the used search coil market for sale. The NEL Sharpshooter coil is another good option. It's a really good coil but it's a tad heavier though.

beephead

Most everyone seems to like the 5 x 8 better than the stock coil, because it's lighter and easier to swing. So you won't see many of them on the used search coil market for sale. The NEL Sharpshooter coil is another good option. It's a really good coil but it's a tad heavier though.

beephead

How about waterproof? Weight so far hadn't seemed bad.
But I haven't swept long yet either.

How about waterproof? Weight so far hadn't seemed bad.
But I haven't swept long yet either.

Yep, the Sharpshooter is waterproof. The longer you swing the stock coil, the heavier it will feel, because the ATPro is not a well balanced detector. It works good though at finding stuff.

beephead

I would by the 5x8 if you can. I can swing the 5x8 twice as long as the stock without fatigue. Both coils have their uses but if I had the choice of only 1 to keep it would be the 5x8 for sure. I makes it feel like a completely different, well balanced machine. Great for tot lots, fences, parks, and home sites with good target separation.

if you can "swing it":laughing:
then get the 5x8 coil.i have the stock one and switched to the 5x8
and I can now swing all day.i haven't really noticed much loss depth wise also--maybe a bit not not enough to get a sore arm from.

I listed my back up 5x8 on the forum here and sold it in 1 day. :D

They do show up for sale used but they sell really fast. Good Luck!

I listed my back up 5x8 on the forum here and sold it in 1 day. :D

They do show up for sale used but they sell really fast. Good Luck!

Yea I'm noticing that lol.
Very quick.
What did you end up.switching to and why?

Yea I'm noticing that lol.
Very quick.
What did you end up.switching to and why?

I still have a 5x8, a stock coil and a 15 inch NEL Attack for my 2 AT Pro's.
What I do is use a coil without a cover for several months until it gets nice and scuffed up on the bottom. Then I paint on a thick layer of clear Gorilla Epoxy.

Once you epoxy a coil you will never wear it out, or I never will on Michigan's soft sand and Garrett coils are pretty darn tough to begin with.
I had 3 spare coils just sitting around doing nothing so I sold them off. If I need a new coil in the future I will just buy one. :grin:

Instead of a 5x8 Garrett coil I would go for the new NEL snake though. Reading reports from people on the forum who know their machines that NEL snake is light, hits deep and has killer target separation.

I still have a 5x8, a stock coil and a 15 inch NEL Attack for my 2 AT Pro's.
What I do is use a coil without a cover for several months until it gets nice and scuffed up on the bottom. Then I paint on a thick layer of clear Gorilla Epoxy.

Once you epoxy a coil you will never wear it out, or I never will on Michigan's soft sand and Garrett coils are pretty darn tough to begin with.
I had 3 spare coils just sitting around doing nothing so I sold them off. If I need a new coil in the future I will just buy one. :grin:

Instead of a 5x8 Garrett coil I would go for the new NEL snake though. Reading reports from people on the forum who know their machines that NEL snake is light, hits deep and has killer target separation.

Someone else mentioned them recently and says best for beach etc. But what about non salt water hunting or plain old regular soil? Hows it been?

Back
Top Bottom