Found a GAR medal!!

tater

Elite Member
Hit a field where an old house once sat. Not many finds but this made me very happy. GAR medal.

Attachments

• IMG_20150421_182203_604.jpg
    IMG_20150421_182203_604.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 447
  • IMG_20150421_195444_560.jpg
    IMG_20150421_195444_560.jpg
    30.1 KB · Views: 434
I was texting back and fourth with Tater a minute ago and we are hoping there is a regeristry we can trace the number to an individual. If any one knows a source please let him know! It would be cool to find this Info if its possible. That's an awesome find. I found this on the badge. http://garmuslib.org/badge.htm

"Although the GAR had around 1/3 to 1/2 of the Union Army in its membership over the years (probably around 1 million men), it never cross-referenced or tracked the pendant numbers to members. The purpose of the number was simply to verify that the badges were authentic and had been purchased from the Quartermaster General, rather than from an unauthorized source"

Hey congrats on a killer find , I found one about seven yrs. ago at a old house site also , went back several times but never did recover the top piece but like yourself I was and still am happy with that . Sweet :D

"Made from cannons captured in battle..."
Shame you couldn't track the number.

It seems millions have been made but this is the first I have known about these. It's so cool how you can learn about historical items on this forum. That is a really cool find ! Congrats.

Nice! I thought it was a GAR grave marker at first like my GG-Grandfather has on his grave.

Back
Top Bottom