etrac deep and fast settings

Mountain Mike

Elite Member
OK so I am getting a lot more comfortable with my etrac. I have been using Gone for evers settings for the most part. I have recovered coins up to nine inches deep so far. Yesterday I was getting an iffy signal and changed the deep setting to on and got a much better reading. What experience do you guys have with experimenting with these two settings? Now I am wondering if I was missing some deeper targets by having the deep off and the fast on. Does anyone run the deep on and the fast off and just go a little slower?

OK so I am getting a lot more comfortable with my etrac. I have been using Gone for evers settings for the most part. I have recovered coins up to nine inches deep so far. Yesterday I was getting an iffy signal and changed the deep setting to on and got a much better reading. What experience do you guys have with experimenting with these two settings? Now I am wondering if I was missing some deeper targets by having the deep off and the fast on. Does anyone run the deep on and the fast off and just go a little slower?

I've read that you should use one or the other but never both... so far that's what I do, one or the other.

Maybe it's just me but I've not noticed much difference in deep on/off or fast on/off. But now I run deep and fast on just so I have 2 more adjustments set in stone. (set it and forget it mentality) I think the single most important thing to do to achieve super depth is run manual sensitivity as high as you can tolerate. Some places I hunt will take the max power and still run smooth.

Just remember that the more options you turn on, the more processing you are making the detector perform. Turn deep on will result in more falsing. Turning on fast will cut the signal shorter and a good signal might not sound as good.

Got to use them in the conditions where you need them. Using them all the time will have an overall negative result.

Just remember that the more options you turn on, the more processing you are making the detector perform. Turn deep on will result in more falsing. Turning on fast will cut the signal shorter and a good signal might not sound as good.

Got to use them in the conditions where you need them. Using them all the time will have an overall negative result.
Good thoughts. I just never really noticed much or any difference on or off? So maybe I'll turn them both off rather both on?

The only difference I've noticed was a little more stable ID numbers. I could spend a week experimenting but I'm sure many others have already.

The only difference I've noticed was a little more stable ID numbers. I could spend a week experimenting but I'm sure many others have already.
Heck - I didn't even experience that. I was always testing different targets switching those adjustments without noticeable changes. But once I started using manual sensitivity I sure noticed an increase in depth.

Now that I think about it maybe it was turning the fast off that gave me better numbers. Ugh I feel a weeks worth of experimentation coming on.

Now that I think about it maybe it was turning the fast off that gave me better numbers. Ugh I feel a weeks worth of experimentation coming on.
The great thing about the etrac is no matter how we have them set up they are still deep silver and copper machines. Heck I've dug super deep lead as well.

More stable id numbers with deep on. Less depth with fast on. I run my manual sens as high as I can with deep on and go very slow from multiple directions. Deepest coin was a barber dime at a measured 9.5-10"

One of the biggest "secrets" is the high-trash setting. I say its a secret only because too many users don't read the manual that describes it. When you put it in high trash, the detector responds to the strongest ALLOWED target. So it you have iron disced and there is iron and coin next to each other then the E-trac is going to hit on the coin. If it's off, then it will respond to the largest target so it could be the iron, resulting in just a null.

I hope that makes as much sense as it does in my head.

One of the biggest "secrets" is the high-trash setting. I say its a secret only because too many users don't read the manual that describes it. When you put it in high trash, the detector responds to the strongest ALLOWED target. So it you have iron disced and there is iron and coin next to each other then the E-trac is going to hit on the coin. If it's off, then it will respond to the largest target so it could be the iron, resulting in just a null.

I hope that makes as much sense as it does in my head.
Ditto - Set the ground to difficult and trash to high. Then leave those settings alone. I'm not aware of any situation where you would want it the other way around?

Good post Jason on setting the trash to high. I have always had mine set to high based on recommended settings. But now I have a better understanding as to why.

You can do what you want for some small performance gain. But never turn both to "ON" at the same time. Just from my experiences.

Back to the OP regarding the fast vs. deep....

You should easily see the results of these settings if you can take the detector to the wet sand of a salt water beach. I found fast mode allowed me to swing my detector at 3-4 seconds per pass. Deep mode meant I had to S-L-O-W down my swing, 6-8 seconds per pass, or I would swing right over a target without the machine registering. However, deep mode also gave me an extra 3-6".

Again, this was at a salt-water beach where the detector is compensating for the environment. Perhaps stable soil has different results?

I see I need to experiment some more with these settings. I was new to the machine when I was messing with the deep and fast. So maybe now I have enough hours on it I'll be able to see exactly how they react?

I would think the two would be counterproductive. I believe the deep slows it down to give the signal more time to scan the ground, like the recovery delay on the V3i. The fast speeds it up to help unmask targets. Running both would probably cancel them both out. I generally run deep, but my sites are trash free most of the time.

I took my etrac to my 15 year old test garden with the 6 inch Coiltek treasure seeker coil on it. My test subject is a 6 inch deep clad dime. I set my deep and fast to off. Then I reduced my manual sensitivity down to just where I could not get a signal - not even a "thunk" Then I put deep and fast both on. No change in signal response.(no beep) Then I set deep on and fast off. Again no signal was heard. Then I set deep to off and fast to on. I could then get a repeatable signal. Now you guys see if you can repeat the test?

That's a crazy result. That makes no sense. I will also try some tests and at least try to understand these settings. Right now these make about as much sense as sasquatch.

Back
Top Bottom