Detecting in the woods - any tips?

ADK-Rich

I own about 16 acres of mostly forest along the edge of the Adirondacks with many more acres accessible. I was wondering if I am going to detect in the woods should I look for specific things to search near or just try to cover ground. Any insight would be much appreciated. There is also a large creek with nice sandy areas throughout the area. Should I check those out as well.

Some preliminary hunts have resulted in newer shell casings and bullets and a very large horse shoe which now resides over the door to my camp for good luck.:p

Thanks
Rich

Hi Rich,
You are in a very historic area... (I have a home in the Hudson Valley).. and also rich in treasure. Check this site for some good NYS treasure information. Also, look for old foundations in the woods, and those rock, property walls.. especially near an old foundation. Large rock outcroppings will conceal many a cave in those mountains, as well as deep crevices, also used to conceal booty. RickO

Watch out for those nasty tree roots, them ish come outta nowhere and snipe you to the ground, haha.

Sounds like a winner to me

There is also a large creek with nice sandy areas throughout the area. Should I check those out as well.

I would check along the shores for old camp sites. Probably been used by everyone since the first settlements. Don't forget the deet......Gil

Don't forget to search around any outstanding feature such as a big old tree or stump or hill top or large rock. Check out the trails along the banks of the stream.

Look for old roads as in those that may have been used by stage coaches and horses. The wealthy used to vacation in the mountains back in the early 1900's and that was the only means of transportation into the mountains. No telling what shook loose for those wagons. Jim

Thanks everyone. Those are some great tips. I put in about an hour behind my camp on what I believe is an old logging road.(almost completely grown over) All I found was a few very large old rusty bolts.The bugs and tree roots were viscious. I'll have to re-equip and try again.

Thanks again

Back
Top Bottom