First beach hunt

KingDarien

So, I went on my first beach hunt this past weekend with my brand new PI Pro. I went out to Florida's Treasure Coast and had ideal situations: low tide, after/during a storm, and early morning w/ no other people in site (probably because of the rain and lightning). Anyway, I started getting hits immediately! Unfortunately, this detector does exactly as advertised, it finds everything. After about 7 nails, I turned down the sensitivity and kept searching. I can't believe I'm getting hits every few steps. More nails, the square headed kind..... So, that's pretty much how my morning went, but it was a lot of fun. I moved all over the beach front and kept finding nails, with a few can tabs (the old ones) mixed in. What a fun and addictive hobby! I kept saying to myself "ok, after the next dig, I'll pack it in". Then an hour later, the storm finally got the best of me and I really did pack it in and ran for the car.
So I need to ask the Florida beach/ PI Pro gurus out there: What is the deal with all the square headed nails in the Vero beach area and is there any way to "discriminate" with the PI Pro even though there isn't a discrimiator. (I.e. tips and tricks for the PI Pro)

A PI does not discriminate and its best used in the water a discriminating machine is best for the dry and even the damp sand... I don't detect in the wet/dry for the very reason you posted here... ;)

Nails littering an extremely clean beach (albeit 6+inches down). What is that all about?

Could be a couple things.. Something could have been built there long ago and storms moving them around or someone doesn't want detectorists there and have thrown them around the beach. Just guesses on my part :)

I showed the nails to a couple of people and they both said they look like old boat nails. Flat, rectangular head and longer, odd shaped shafts. Plus they were heavily corroded. Maybe I'm the lucky owner of authentic galleon nails. Between you and me, I'd rather have the treasure....

Welcome to the forum KingDarien

The gold rings are deeper than the nails. You have to dig all the loud signals to be able to hear the deep soft signals. The sands change every day, maybe tomorrow you will hit a pocket of coins or jewelry.

Bottom line is "practice", and the general rule of the beach is "dig everything"

PI's are definitely water machines though, get yourself a water scoop and try detecting knee deep at low tide.

Or maybe detect a less trashy beach?

During the summer the currents move sand and junk ONTO the beach, you will have better luck detecting in the winter when the sands move off the beach. Look for cuts in the beach from wave action or channels.

It also sounds like the storm (Alberto?) moved the sand in on the east coast not out

nails,right thats what all the guys say when they hunt the beach and the finds are good.down where he was you can do very well on the beach.now tell us about the great stuff you found that day,we won't tell.

Back
Top Bottom