Coin counter for home?

pryan67

Forum Supporter
Any suggestions? My bank won't take loose coins so I've been cashing in my clad at coinstar for Amazon gift cards. The issue with that is that I can't get the deals on detecting gear from the sponsors using my clad finds :( So, I figured maybe get a coin counter for home, especially since reading the thread about Coinstar not counting accurately.

I'd want something that rolls the coins as well

Amazon has several models that should work fine depending on your budget.

Cliff

I've checked out Amazon...unfortunately most of them have bad reviews. I was hoping someone here had one that they liked (or didn't) rather than taking a chance on reviews from strangers.

My suggestion, for what it’s worth, is to dump the banks. I used to change them like I did socks. They’re greedy as all get-out, I haven’t used one in years. Amazon is horrible also, I don’t support them with my business. I support local business even if it costs more.

Credit unions are the way to go. You are part owner, and they have nice coin counters with no fees for members. Matter of fact, no fees for anything.

Rant off. :cool:

I've checked out Amazon...unfortunately most of them have bad reviews. I was hoping someone here had one that they liked (or didn't) rather than taking a chance on reviews from strangers.
I usually try here too but the reviews on Amazon have been helpful too. People in general are more apt to tell others about a bad experience than a good one. Bad reviews can usually be trusted to be at least partially true. The key is to look at the average rather than the one or two really bad ones.

Cliff

My suggestion, for what it’s worth, is to dump the banks. I used to change them like I did socks. They’re greedy as all get-out, I haven’t used one in years. Amazon is horrible also, I don’t support them with my business. I support local business even if it costs more.

Credit unions are the way to go. You are part owner, and they have nice coin counters with no fees for members. Matter of fact, no fees for anything.

Rant off. :cool:
I agree with you on banks. I deal with Credit Unions these days too. I do somewhat disagree with you on Amazon though. I have used them occasionally with good results on items I couldn't find locally. I would rather drive an hour to buy something before ordering it and waiting for it to arrive but sometimes there is no choice. Odd items like this are rarely stocked in local stores these days as they are not fast moving items. That's where places like Amazon are a good resource.

Cliff

Sam's Club
d766ad42007db95984d2f904b1f3d156.jpg

Cliff

The thing is a guy has got to find an enormous amount of stinky clad back to back and year over year to justify this concept as ROI positive...To even consider it a break even, a fellow would have to be pulling $1000 clad per season (well over 15k coins)....Me Myself, running at a pace of 10k clad coins per year my Coin Value Average (CVA) is only 8c per....

.Even Investing in a cheap Tumbler and diddling around cleaning clad is a loss leader, let alone an automatic counter and roller expense!...

I've decided after doing the math, my optimum ROI clad offload method is to do a quick rinse in field, and an immediate CS dump on the way home, taking the 12% hit and gaining immediate money in the pocket..

Not that detrimental taking into account the various clad options in the scheme of things..the cost of Time etc...I have a plastic mug in the trunk and a jug of windshield washing fluid and water...so I dump in the clad into the mug and do a martini shake...then pour them out on a towel and proceed to the CS on my way home...

Any coins that dont pass CS muster and get rejected, I know where the vending machines are that will spit out fresh coin redemptions...instead of purchasing the vending machine product, you simply insert the dirty coins and hit the refund button....out tumbles fresh shiny ready to spend coins...So there are alternative easy methods..

So if they don't take loose change, they trust everyone on roll content?

This seems peculiar.

Sam's Club
d766ad42007db95984d2f904b1f3d156.jpg

Cliff

I hadn't thought of Sam's Club...which is odd since I'm there every other week or so :)

The thing is a guy has got to find an enormous amount of stinky clad back to back and year over year to justify this concept as ROI positive...To even consider it a break even, a fellow would have to be pulling $1000 clad per season (well over 15k coins)....Me Myself, running at a pace of 10k clad coins per year my Coin Value Average (CVA) is only 8c per....

.Even Investing in a cheap Tumbler and diddling around cleaning clad is a loss leader, let alone an automatic counter and roller expense!...

I've decided after doing the math, my optimum ROI clad offload method is to do a quick rinse in field, and an immediate CS dump on the way home, taking the 12% hit and gaining immediate money in the pocket..

Not that detrimental taking into account the various clad options in the scheme of things..the cost of Time etc...I have a plastic mug in the trunk and a jug of windshield washing fluid and water...so I dump in the clad into the mug and do a martini shake...then pour them out on a towel and proceed to the CS on my way home...

Any coins that dont pass CS muster and get rejected, I know where the vending machines are that will spit out fresh coin redemptions...instead of purchasing the vending machine product, you simply insert the dirty coins and hit the refund button....out tumbles fresh shiny ready to spend coins...So there are alternative easy methods..

Good points Mud, but a 12% hit would mean that the counter would pay for itself after only 1200 dollars in clad....which I fully intend on finding this year :) Sure, I only got about 200 or so last year....but last year was last year, and this is "the year" for me :)

Besides...I like gadgets

In reality what I need to do is talk the wife into letting me open a second bank account at the bank in town that has a coin counter.

Once a guy starts cladding, he soon learns a Quarter aint necessarily WORTH a quarter!
A fresh shiny fresh drop Q is worth a Q, but a dirty degraded dirt Q or mower strike both of which require additional secondary effort is worth only 22 cents to a Coinstar...

So a guy soon understands this and hunts accordingly...A guy needs to make easy fast money with as few additional steps in the offload process and focuses on Time Saving moreso than cleaning......

Good thing empty discarded cans in Michigan are worth a dime each here, whereas a dirty dirt dime that requires additional handling processes is only worth 9c tops no matter what you do, and the more you do to make it into a dime, the less it is worth!..

Its easy to simply pick up a discarded can, takes no more than a second, its not as easy to find a dirt dime and pull it that fast....Its wonderful to find a whole garbage bag full of empty cans! Its like a whole sack of dimes! :laughing:

Its about considering the cost of Time/payback..

I'm a credit union member and I also have a bank account. BOTH have coin machines with no fees. The bank also has TOTALLY free checking. Free checks and no charge for any individual checks you write. I'm surprised that your bank doesn't accept loose coins. Would they accept them if you were depositing them into an account? Deposit them and then later withdraw the same amount. Loose coins are legal tender and must be accepted by law.

Back
Top Bottom