High school or Elementary school?

ChrisnAmanda1

Elite Member
So I have a few different options as to where to go this weekend. I live close to 3 very small, drive through towns that were all established forever ago. each of the towns have at least an elementary or highschool in them, but they're not very big. I found my best find to date at an old abandoned PRE SCHOOL (LOL!) but I want to go find more than a couple bucks in clad this weekend and was wondering.... Do you guys think I would have a better shot at finding jewelry in a high school? or should I hit the elementary schools instead? My logic tells me that highschoolers would be more apt to lose rings and such, but elementary school age kids are a lot less aware of what they lose..... decisions decisions.......

I would hit the high schools first, But eventually you will be going to the elementary schools anyway.

I wish I could hunt the schools here, They are locked down like jails, LOL.

Good Luck!

:thumbsup:

Yeah, I think the high school would have more potential for jewelry, however I would guess most of it would be costume.

What's the off chance the grade school was the old high school?

Good luck!

Not too many gradeschoolers wearing gold or .925. Hit the HS's first, especially by sports bleachers and concessions areas. Jr. Hi's/Middle Schools not as good (in my area anyway).

I detect all the schools in my area. I find a lot of clad coins mostly at the high school sports complexes. It does take awhile for the coins to replenish after you've hit them hard. GL & HH.

Thanks everyone for the input! I plan on hitting them all, LOL but today I dont have the option to go spot hopping so was hoping to get some general opinions on which place would be better. Im gonna hit the high school first, see what I can "dig up" LMAO

High school first.
If you are lucky enough to have one that has a parking lot for the students and that parking is divided by grassy islands then that is where you start.
I have found these are like beach hunting on land if you are looking for jewelry.
Kids hang out in them before, during and after school and everyone that parks usually walks over them...sometimes pulling keys in and out of their pockets and sometimes losing jewelry when they do.
I have been very successful when I find a school like this.
https://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?t=77890

Otherwise, if the school has a basketball court surrounded by grass definitely hit that for jewelry.

All things being equal, I'd hit the high schools first. All things aren't equal, though, and I'd do my best to find out the age and renovation status of the buildings beforehand. I'd much rather hit a '52 elementary school than a '74 high school.

But like you said, you'll get them all in time, and I wish you all success and fun doing it!

I do the best at elementary schools. I have only found One silver ring at all the high schools Ive been to but some had silver coins.

High school first.
If you are lucky enough to have one that has a parking lot for the students and that parking is divided by grassy islands then that is where you start.
I have found these are like beach hunting on land if you are looking for jewelry.
Kids hang out in them before, during and after school and everyone that parks usually walks over them...sometimes pulling keys in and out of their pockets and sometimes losing jewelry when they do.
I have been very successful when I find a school like this.
https://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?t=77890

Otherwise, if the school has a basketball court surrounded by grass definitely hit that for jewelry.

Awesome! ?Thanks for the tips! I found a couple areas you described and sure enough, popped a silver ring and a wheatie!

Don't overlook the lower grade schools. The kids are more likely to lose stuff even though they might not have as much. They tend to horse around more at recess. Also, if they have sports practice fields they may be used by club sports teams too.
My best school is an elementary that has two back stops and a soccer practice field in the middle.

Middle schools those kids are getting into fashion and lose most of it. High school sports fields. Look for where lots of people gather. Under bleachers and concession stands. I find good stuff along fences where people stand around or lean on the fences.
Found 65 cents of clad in one spot!
Hit all that grass around or in parking lots.
Elementary schools the playground is profitable.
Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom