Denied

Greenriver Greg

A widow lady with whom we were good friends with several years ago before her husband passed owns a now vacant lot where an early 1900's home was recently torn down. She moved away after her husband died, but I was able to contact her by phone and after exchanging pleasantries I asked if she would mind if me and my granddaughter could MD on her vacant lot. I could instantly feel a wall go up when she said someone had already been to the lot, but didn't find anything. Then she tells me of a lost ring belonging to her late husband's grandmother that was supposedly lost there. Sensing defeat I immediately offered my assistance in searching for the ring and returning anything of value that my only goal was simply gaining experience and hopefully recovering some history. She said I'd rather you not. I told that it was ok, no hard feelings at all and wished her all the best and that the offer was still standing to help her search for the lost ring.
I have to admit that hurt a little. Our kids played ball together, we often had cookouts, but it was like she was talking to a rank stranger. I even followed up later with a text assuring her there are no hard feeling and restating my offer to look for the ring. No reply. Now I'm wondering if I did something wrong? I think now even if she told me to hunt there I'm not so sure I would want to.

It happens. I have a friend that I have known for over 40 years. She and her siblings inherited five lots where at one time old homes stood. I asked her if I could detect the property and she said no problem BUT I get what you find. I told her I would pass.

No matter her reasoning, I wouldn't worry about it or take it personal. Could be lots if reasons why she'd rather you didn't.

Shame on You for bothering an old Widow Woman! Especially one who lives out of town! A good Man woulda just went and hunted it without disturbing her fragile mental state by asking permission!... :laughing:

Old Widows are a suspicious and fearful lot, their imaginations border insanity nurturing wild and speculative thoughts. You cannot ever hope to figure them out, best to avoid them altogether if possible...Thats why none of their Children or Grandchildren never visit them anymore...:laughing:

Old Widows are especially distrustful of Males, starting at the age of 11 or so and as the Males age advances, so does the Widows distrust ramp increase accordingly...

I've been dealing with and studying Widows thought processes since I was a kid, I'm just full of stories regarding my experiences....and now, I'm Surrounded by them over here at the Sleepy Tyme Olde Folks place where I live! They hate you for being you, and theres nothing you can do about it...:laughing:

Shame on You for bothering an old Widow Woman! Especially one who lives out of town! A good Man woulda just went and hunted it without disturbing her fragile mental state by asking permission!... :laughing:

Old Widows are a suspicious and fearful lot, their imaginations border insanity nurturing wild and speculative thoughts. You cannot ever hope to figure them out, best to avoid them altogether if possible...Thats why none of their Children or Grandchildren never visit them anymore...:laughing:

Old Widows are especially distrustful of Males, starting at the age of 11 or so and as the Males age advances, so does the Widows distrust ramp increase accordingly...

I've been dealing with and studying Widows thought processes since I was a kid, I'm just full of stories regarding my experiences....and now, I'm Surrounded by them over here at the Sleepy Tyme Olde Folks place where I live! They hate you for being you, and theres nothing you can do about it...:laughing:[/QUOTE

You are so right. :laughing:

I've been dealing with and studying Widows thought processes since I was a kid, I'm just full of stories regarding my experiences....and now, I'm Surrounded by them over here at the Sleepy Tyme Olde Folks place where I live! They hate you for being you, and theres nothing you can do about it...:laughing:

:lol:

I'd just move on bud. This happens. Some people are or appear to be friends until they think you might get something tangible out of the friendship.
I once showed a friend how to detect while we were in his yard. Third target was a nice 1907 Barber half. He shoved it deep in his pocket. I had to ask if I could please take a picture of it. He and his wife hesitated then replied OK. They allowed me to take the phone picture.
I learned something that day. Something my mother always tried to get in my head about friends.

I'd just move on bud. This happens. Some people are or appear to be friends until they think you might get something tangible out of the friendship.
I once showed a friend how to detect while we were in his yard. Third target was a nice 1907 Barber half. He shoved it deep in his pocket. I had to ask if I could please take a picture of it. He and his wife hesitated then replied OK. They allowed me to take the phone picture.
I learned something that day. Something my mother always tried to get in my head about friends.

Wow...they don't come any stingier than that, didn't even want to allow you a picture. Plus they shouldn't have just
assumed the barber was theirs since you found it. I bet you would have even been gracious enough to offer it to them...but they didn't even give you a chance...just grabbed it up. People!

It happens. I have a friend that I have known for over 40 years. She and her siblings inherited five lots where at one time old homes stood. I asked her if I could detect the property and she said no problem BUT I get what you find. I told her I would pass.

So called friend for over 40 years, but wants to keep whatever you find. Some friend.

So called friend for over 40 years, but wants to keep whatever you find. Some friend.

Her husband finally had all he could take about 25 years ago and divorced her. she has to be in charge and its all about her. I was not surprised at her response.

Of course her EX and I are friends. He has gout so bad he can no longer detet but we fish together.

The best is the people who don't have the heart to be honest and say "hey man, the thought of someone digging holes in my yard doesn't appeal to me" so instead they make up a story about wanting to buy a detector and do it themselves. I had that happen a few times and once when I had a backup detector in the car. I offered to let them use my other machine and they just mumbled b/c they couldn't even think of a bs excuse on the spot. Even better "why don't you leave your number and i'll ask my wife later"

I get it, not everyone is cool with us detecting their yard. Just be honest.

Her husband finally had all he could take about 25 years ago and divorced her. she has to be in charge and its all about her. I was not surprised at her response.

Of course her EX and I are friends. He has gout so bad he can no longer detet but we fish together.

Uugghh :sadbye:

The best is the people who don't have the heart to be honest and say "hey man, the thought of someone digging holes in my yard doesn't appeal to me" so instead they make up a story about wanting to buy a detector and do it themselves. I had that happen a few times and once when I had a backup detector in the car. I offered to let them use my other machine and they just mumbled b/c they couldn't even think of a bs excuse on the spot. Even better "why don't you leave your number and i'll ask my wife later"

^^^This!!!

Exactly, well said.

15 Years or so ago, I tried to buy 30+ acres of land in Missouri from a widow that had moved from Missouri to Arizona. She wouldn't sell me the land, and said that she needed to "get up there" and check on the house. I had walkednthe land already and I knew the land was completely over grown with cedar trees so thick that you could hardly walk, and the house she spoke of had burned to the foundation many years prior. She said that a neighbor was running cows on the property, which he wasn't. I took her "no" as a solid answer. About a year later, I learned that she had sold the land to the neighbor for what I had offered her for the land. That guy owes me a thank you, because he bought the land at 1/3 the value. I had thought of flying to AZ with a check and a contract, but thought I would just be wasting my time because she had already said no. I regret this failure all the time. My point is this, maybe in a couple weeks, find and excuse to stop by her house, maybe bring her a homemade desert, and let her know you still want to search the lot if she changes her mind. Hard to say no, face to face.

Back
Top Bottom