1661 Spanish Cob

Toasted

Elite Member
Pretty beat up but its definately a cob from Potosi mint in present day Bolivia. Not as sure about the year but Im seeing 61 so 1661. In two trips this site has also produced 7 British coppers.

Attachments

• IMG_0605.jpg
    IMG_0605.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 504
  • IMG_0606.jpg
    IMG_0606.jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 517
This is just TOTALLY unfair. You east coast guys get to dig all those wickedly old coins.

Hey Moderators: Since east coast guys have an edge on the competition, I suggest a new FMDF rule that says east coast guys can not post show & tell, UNLESS their coins pre-date 1600. Ok ? After all, what's fair is fair, eh ? :D

Wow!!!! Amazing find. Congrats.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is just TOTALLY unfair. You east coast guys get to dig all those wickedly old coins.

Hey Moderators: Since east coast guys have an edge on the competition, I suggest a new FMDF rule that says east coast guys can not post show & tell, UNLESS their coins pre-date 1600. Ok ? After all, what's fair is fair, eh ? :D

Its not like they're flying out of the ground for me. Ive hunted at least a half dozen colonial sites, netted around 3-4 dozen colonial coppers and large cents but have only found three Spanish.

Attachments

• IMG_0614.jpg
    IMG_0614.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 450
Thanks but there are plenty of guys out there with dozens even over 100 colonial silvers. I think Ill run out of sites before that ever happens

Well gee, I wish I could find *only* "3 or 4 dozen colonial coppers".

Sheesk. And as for those there that have found 100 of them, this proves they are brimming out of every sandbox there. And all the more reason why there needs to be a "handicap" for east coast forum show & tell finds posts. From now on: Your finds have to be 1600 or earlier. Otherwise, no points for you spoiled brats ! :laughing:

Well gee, I wish I could find *only* "3 or 4 dozen colonial coppers".

Sheesk. And as for those there that have found 100 of them, this proves they are brimming out of every sandbox there. And all the more reason why there needs to be a "handicap" for east coast forum show & tell finds posts. From now on: Your finds have to be 1600 or earlier. Otherwise, no points for you spoiled brats ! :laughing:

What no cobs in CA:grin: I guess all Ill be posting are these

Attachments

• IMG_0615.jpg
    IMG_0615.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 423
What no cobs in CA:grin: ...

a buddy of mine found a cob, after storm erosion, on Carmel River Beach in CA. That is less than a mile from Carmel mission, which dates to 1770/71-ish . And the little bay there had been a recorded stopping spot earlier in history (although no permanent settlement stays till 1770). We could not determine a definite date off of it. But it was definitely a cob.

Other than that, I can't think of any other cobs. The last cobs were in the 1740s (or 1750s?) at a few remaining mints. While milled coins were replacing cobs about that time. Thus considering that the very FIRST mission (permanent European toeholds of actually habitating) wasn't till 1769 (San Diego), you can see that it would be a NEEDLE IN A HAYSTACK to find cobs here. Even the first decade or two (till the 1780s and '90s), the entire European (non-indian) population of CA could probably be numbered in only the low to mid 100's tops.

Killer cob man, always cool to see them come out and brush them off hem and haw and finally realize what you've got in your hand... AWESOME find man!

Back
Top Bottom