AT Pro or Upgraded Platinum Pro?

Maverick923

I am trying to make a good choice on a new detector. From what I have been reading, people swear by the AT Pro. I also read that you can get the same performance with the BH Platinum pro with an upgraded coil. I am wondering if this is true?

I would love to hear a non bias opinion. Perhaps from someone that has both?

both can ground balance to conditions, so its about as stable as you can get for single frequency detectors.

The Platinum has an 8 or 11" coil where the ATP has almost limitless options inlcuding the 15" NEL coil that really punches through the ground for incredible depth.

The ATP is also waterproof, so go ahead and hunt with a 75% chance of rain, because if it does, then there are no worries. And remember, all those folks that bought BH's can only detect the shore of swiming holes, where you'll be able to dive right in and detect (at least up to 10 ft deep).

Be sure to call the forum sponsors and ask for the best price...they usually beat the retail and online advertised prices. :yes:

I have both, the Plat Pro and the AT. The Plat Pro is no slacker, I paid $400 but contact a sponsor here and they will give you a much better deal and super fast shipping.

About the BH, I wish I would have just went with the reg BH Plat and not the Plat Pro...reason being: with the reg Plat, it is the very same detector but with the smaller coil for about $100 less. I wanted the larger coil, but should have just bought the reg Plat with the smaller coil and then....I could have bought the larger coil (about $110) and had 2 coils, or sell the smaller one and get some funds back to put toward the larger coil. Either way, same detector and larger coil for cheaper. I hope that makes sense.

Pros and cons of Plat vs AT:

Weight (huge factor for me): easily goes to the BH. Light as a feather at 2lbs. The AT is pushing 3lbs, but neither have slowed me down once you get used to swinging. I prefer the BH just because shaft design.

Toughness: I have beat the hell out of the BH being my first detector. It is pretty plasic and delicate, but you don't have to be delicate with it. AT Pro is plastic and delicate as well, but you do have to be delicate with it. Control box is wonky and top heavy, likes to try and fall sideways when set down to dig.

Warranty: BH is 5 years strong, Garrett is 2 years but they have awesome service and do their customers right well after warranty period.

Performance: BH is a true ground balance and go detector, but only 3 bell tones which gives limited info on targets but very very fast reaction time even when bouncing off tricky targets like bottle caps. AT Pro, hands down is the winner here. Can do everything the BH can at only half the capacity, the other half enables Pro mode which is where the AT Pro completely destroys the BH. No comparasion. Huge amount of information given about targets, which can be frustrating at first until you learn this detector but once you do, then you are extremely thankful!

Water/weather proof: if it spinkles even slightly, you won't be hunting with the BH. This was also a huge factor for me. Sometimes during cloudless sunny days, we'll get a complete random sudden 5 minute shower. Doesn't stop the AT Pro, you can take it under 10ft deep without issue.

Customizations: You can make the AT Pro all yours, many things can be done to make it stronger/stiffer/tailored to you. But, much like owning an Iphone, you have to get past Garrett's adapters to open up some options. They have unique and special connectors that cost a few $ to get past. The BH, no customization available. It is what it is, other than changing coils.

I still use both, mostly the BH when I'm dinking around and only lightly/moderately hunting. Easy in and out around metal equipment, and never get tired of swinging it. Some people compare this detector to a toy, and while not super advanced...it is fun to swing and has never done me wrong. Still over 4 years warranty left! In 6 months my coin finds with the BH, bought me the AT Pro.

When I want to hunt and hunt hard, no doubt I grab the Pro. In the wide open, it is a killer. I'm still learning it and have quite a way to go. Can be manipulated digitally to hunt harder/more precise.

The BH is an easy detector to learn, after 6 months I became a little bored with it because while very good...it was my only option at the time. Got the AT Pro, and can tell this detector can keep me interested and learning for about 2 years. I'm not even halfway near knowing exactly what this detector is trying to tell me or how to fully take advantage of manipulating it for my best hunting needs. It is a moderately advanced detector and being waterproof opens up even more options/territory.

I hope this helps you. If any questions, feel free to ask!

If you are planning on hunting at the beach, or in water, go with the ATP. It's a no-brainer.

A negative for the Platinum USED to be a shortage of coils, but that's no longer the case. I always felt the BH coils were a limiting factor, moreso than the box of the unit. However, with the inexpensive adapters available, it opens up all the Teknetics Greek and Fisher coils at the same frequency, for use by the Platinum. I added a Cors Fortune(Nel Sharpshooter), and it greatly improved the performance of the Platinum. It now seems to be as deep, and separates as well as the ATPs, of friends, when comparing signals. I agree with Mr Novice on the coil....get the cheaper concentric, and buy a different brand coil, if you choose the Platinum.

Both are good machines. If you plan to be around water, the ATP is the choice. The Platinum, with an upgraded coil gets you similar performance, but saves a few bucks.

Check with the sponsors, for the best deals, and Happy Hunting.

When I first started researching detectors the BH line seemed to be considered more of a toy. Glad to see they must be upping their game if people are ranking some of their models up there with the AT Pro.

Thanks for the info guys. I noticed that Garrett also has the AT Gold for all metal gold and relics. Can the AT Pro help me find a gold bracelet?

AT- PRO reduced price

I am trying to make a good choice on a new detector. From what I have been reading, people swear by the AT Pro. I also read that you can get the same performance with the BH Platinum pro with an upgraded coil. I am wondering if this is true?

I would love to hear a non bias opinion. Perhaps from someone that has both?

I have had great success with the AT-Pro
Best selling Detector on the market for a good reason.
any Questions , call
thanks
dennis

http://www.metaldetectors.com/coin-jewelry-metal-detectors/garrett/at-pro-metal-detector

So can the AT-Pro find gold nuggets at all?

Oh yeah, depending on size. I found the back of an earring last night, and you know how small those are. The difference in the Pro vs Gold other than price is the all metal mode and maybe the frequency (?) but not sure about that one. I'm still learning here too and someone more knowledgable will be along soon. But, if you're not in a gold rush type area, there's probably not likely to be many nuggets or gold flakes like in Cali or Oregon.

Oh yeah, depending on size. I found the back of an earring last night, and you know how small those are. The difference in the Pro vs Gold other than price is the all metal mode and maybe the frequency (?) but not sure about that one. I'm still learning here too and someone more knowledgable will be along soon. But, if you're not in a gold rush type area, there's probably not likely to be many nuggets or gold flakes like in Cali or Oregon.

I believe the at pro is 15 kHz and the gold is 18 kHz. I think it means it's more sensitive to smaller objects basically.

Keep in mind, we think there is about to be released a new detector by Garrett in the AT series... could be anyday now, so it might be worth it to wait just a little while and see what it is. The prices on the AT Pro and Gold just dropped a bit, probably because it's coming sooooon.... Rumor is it might have the new Z-Lynk wireless technology incorporated into the control box....

I was in contact with Garrett and I was told that the new detector would be out in the spring. I was told it would be an addition to the AT series so those previous detectors wont be replaced.

I went with the AT pro bundle from Quality Metal Detectors. They hooked me up and I got a price I was pretty happy with for the most part.

Thank you to all you guys that gave me the info. I think I always knew which direction I was going, but pricing and more info gave me a little nudge.

I was in contact with Garrett and I was told that the new detector would be out in the spring. I was told it would be an addition to the AT series so those previous detectors wont be replaced.

I went with the AT pro bundle from Quality Metal Detectors. They hooked me up and I got a price I was pretty happy with for the most part.

Thank you to all you guys that gave me the info. I think I always knew which direction I was going, but pricing and more info gave me a little nudge.

Either really would have been a good choice for the price, just be patient with the AT Pro. There's a lot of info available from it, and it takes a few before everything starts to *click*. Once it does, you'll be all over the targets!

Congratz on your purchase!

either really would have been a good choice for the price, just be patient with the at pro. There's a lot of info available from it, and it takes a few before everything starts to *click*. Once it does, you'll be all over the targets!

Congratz on your purchase!

+1 , hh

Back
Top Bottom