• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

New Guy From Western New York

Wally Taylor

Howdy Folks. I thought I'd take a minute to say hello. I'm a retired guy, who had too many back surgeries to golf anymore, so I bought an entry level White's detector to try out this hobby that has had my interest for a long time.
In the 80's, I lived in the Keys and dealt Craps on a gambling boat out of Key West, so I got to know Mel Fisher and his Son Terry a little bit. If any of You lived in the Keys back then, the ship was the notorious Mob-Owned "Princess of the Waves".
Mel sold me a Four Reale Cob, and I had a custom gold wire bezel made for it at the jewelry store in Key West, and I still wear my "Key West Dogtag" every day. I wear it under my shirt so I don't look like I'm trying to be an old Pirate. Those were some wild and wooley days for all of us working on the ship.
So, needless to say, I have had treasure hunting running through my veins for a long time now. Metal Detecting is a perfect fit, and I own a farm built in the 1860's, and besides my old house and barn on three acres with a creek running through it, there's an old foundation on my land behing the creek that is a few flat stones above ground level, so I have to think that it was a homestead in the early 1800's or a little earlier.
So, I don't have to look to hard for my first search area. Anyway, nice to meet You, and I look forward to tapping into the knowledge that seems to be abundant on this forum. And Thanks for letting me into Your sport. Zif You will, that is. And Happy New Year everybody!

Hey Wally, welcome from South Carolina !!!!!

My only time in Key West was back in 1971 while I was in the Navy and I was electronics support for a Navy fighter squadron, our squadron was called there for two weeks emergency duty as they thought there was the possibility of a problem with Cuba, fortunately nothing happened.

Sounds like you do indeed have a great search area to start with, and you don't even have to get permission to hunt since you own it ! :lol:

Wally, Welcome from Western Washington!

Hello! I lived in Ellensburg for about five years. I was a Produce Manager for Prairie Market. I also lived in Pendleton Oregon for a while. I sure miss seeing Mount Rainier every day. I used to walk a mile each way to work every day because the mountains are so beautiful in the Northwest.

I didn't want to spend a lot on my first one. I figure that once I know what I'm doing, I'll give the one that I bought to our neighbor boy. He's like a Grandson to my wife and I, so I think of him when I get stuff like this.
I bought a White's Coinmaster to start. The guy at KellyCo was worried about ground mineralization in our area, but The White's came recommended by a friend who has one just to haul around in the trunk of his car, and he said that it works great. He has a more expensive White's also, but he thought it was a great starter machine, and he lives in the country outside Jamestown. We shall see!

Back
Top Bottom