• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Hide wires on the Garrett AT gold

Just wondering if anyone has done this? Is there a way to put the coil wire through the shaft?

I'm sure this could be done, but not without a lot of hassle. It would first involve removing (cutting) the plug from the coil cable. Then you would have to drill and prepare an entrance hole for the cable, somewhere down near the bottom of the lower stem, followed by an exit hole, somewhere up near the main unit. Then you would have to reattach the cable plug.

I suppose this would be of benefit (well, not really sure what benefit it would be), but whatever, hopefully you wouldn't want to be changing coils too often.

I have an AT Pro, and after looking at it, I really don't see the advantage of doing this. Could it be done - absolutely. Is it feasible - questionable. Would I do it - no, it just wouldn't be worth it to me. It may be to some !

Maybe you could expound a bit, on why you would consider this to be a benefit. Just curious ?

Last edited:
I'm sure this could be done, but not without a lot of hassle. It would first involve removing (cutting) the plug from the coil cable. Then you would have to drill and prepare an entrance hole for the cable, somewhere down near the bottom of the lower stem, followed by an exit hole, somewhere up near the main unit. Then you would have to reattach the cable plug.

I suppose this would be of benefit (well, not really sure what benefit it would be), but whatever, hopefully you wouldn't want to be changing coils too often.

I have an AT Pro, and after looking at it, I really don't see the advantage of doing this. Could it be done - absolutely. Is it feasible - questionable. Would I do it - no, it just wouldn't be worth it to me.

Maybe you could expound a bit, on why you would consider this to be a benefit. Just curious ?

I have a minelab also and the cord goes inside which IMO looks nicer but If it involves cutting wires it's definitely out of the question lol I was just curious if it has been done without much hassle. Thanks for your input!

Yeah...you gotta cut the wire.......I did it on my F70 a few years back and she is still running just fine...Cut the wire sort of in the middle, giving enough length to make the center of the lower rod junction....fish both ends through the shaft, then solder it back together...I got rid of the camlocks too...took about 20 minutes......I dont know if I'd do this on my Pro, since it sees only water work...
Mud

Attachments

• F70-1.jpg
    F70-1.jpg
    24.6 KB · Views: 137
I wonder if you could get some sort of sleeve that could go around the shaft that would snap on over the cable. You wouldn't have to cut anything that way. Big issue woud get getting around the camlocks. You could do it in smaller sections. Not sure it would be worth the effort though. Least not for me.

Yeah...you gotta cut the wire.......I did it on my F70 a few years back and she is still running just fine...Cut the wire sort of in the middle, giving enough length to make the center of the lower rod junction....fish both ends through the shaft, then solder it back together...I got rid of the camlocks too...took about 20 minutes......I dont know if I'd do this on my Pro, since it sees only water work...
Mud

Mud, how did you get rid of the cam locks ? I got a F75......

Mud, how did you get rid of the cam locks ? I got a F75......

I just pulled them out...I pop riveted the lower shaft in place, and used a spacer ring on the top junction so it didnt wiggle...it was just a junker ring out of a totlot of the right diameter and dimension to keep everything snug...now when I want to collapse my gear, I simply pop it apart at that top knuckle and fold it in half...easy peasy...I have pictures around here someplace...
Mud

Mud

Looks good mud! This will be mostly a land Detector but come warm water temps she will get wet! Giggity I wonder if you splice the rod down the middle put the wire through and wrap tape around it? Back to the drawing board will definitely let you guys know which route I take.

Back
Top Bottom