• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Shoes to Wear While MDing

SnowFire

Hey guys I have my first outing with a friend this upcoming Thursday and was wondering what kind of shoes should I wear? I assume it'll have to be comfortable as I'll be on my feet the whole day. But should I bring rubber boots? Should I expect my shoes to get destroyed or really dirty? I'll be hunting in a few state parks, some with beaches near the river, and some will be in the woods. Also, long or short pants?

-Pete

Hands down, Crocs Off-Road... super conformtable, with a rugged look and performance.... I wear 'em every time.
waytogo.gif

Well, I suppose if its wet out they wouldn't be so hot, so then maybe I'll wear my Wolverine work boots or something. But for my tot lots, or parks, or the beach, the Crocs.

As far as pants, I always wear cargo shorts... the cargo pockets make great find pouches and/or digging tool holders.

Call your firiend...
Don't want to appear like I am being a smart a#$ but your friend will know if the area you hunt will be clean river sand or black oily mud....The wooded area may be like a golf course or it could be a tick and chigger infested snake den.
The information you asked for can only be given by your buddy as everything else is just a guess.

Hands down, Crocs Off-Road... super conformtable, with a rugged look and performance.... I wear 'em every time.
waytogo.gif

Well, I suppose if its wet out they wouldn't be so hot, so then maybe I'll wear my Wolverine work boots or something. But for my tot lots, or parks, or the beach, the Crocs.

As far as pants, I always wear cargo shorts... the cargo pockets make great find pouches and/or digging tool holders.

I agree on the cargo shorts - love them for the reasons you just stated. However, for nice white sand, wherever it may be, nothing beats a pair of sandals! :yes: I have been considering getting crocs for the surf.

Call your firiend...
Don't want to appear like I am being a smart a#$ but your friend will know if the area you hunt will be clean river sand or black oily mud....The wooded area may be like a golf course or it could be a tick and chigger infested snake den.
The information you asked for can only be given by your buddy as everything else is just a guess.

Actually he's more of a buddy just hanging out with me. He has always had an interest in MDing. I just beat him to getting a detector. But the parks we know fairly well as they are local. I just don't know what to expect with regards to getting dirty. :p

-Pete

Thats right Tinky barefoot and naked :lol: j/k I am tennis shoes and shorts type of guy and dont forget the bug spray

Good for you Snowfire! This is a topic that has never been discussed.

I wear an old pair of tennis shoes. I have put these shoes through everything imaginable detecting.

I also wear a swimsuit under the cargo shorts, and tank top. Yes, take the bug spray and water.

Crocs are good if you are in the water, but not so good in the sand. Sand in the holes, rubbing and over uncomfortableness if you are walking any distance. I wear Keen Newport sandals for everything on the beach. They arent cheap, but IMO they cant be beat. Protection from sharps and seemless transition from water to sand and back. For everything else, I have an extra pair of Belleville desert combat flyer boots that they issued me 2 pairs of for some reason.

I usually wear a pair of leather work shoes, unless I know it's going to be grassy, then tennis shoes.

SnowFire,

Any comfortable shoes will do. They will not get destroyed or that dirty under normal conditions. One thing to consider is the sole. You don't want deep ridges that will hold the loose dirt and break loose on the floor when you go into the house. I usually wear long pants to protect from the green flies, mosquitoes, etc. A little bug spray for arms, hands and neck. It won't take more than once or twice to decide what is best for your hunting conditions. Good luck.

tennis shoes

Still a tennis shoes, jeans, and tee-shirt kind-of-guy... at 54.
and 'gotta have my hat'

Dusty Eagle

For the beach area you might want to bring a pair of water shoes. If you don't know what they are, they are made for the water. Plastic, breathable, and very, very comfy to walk in on sand. When it gets miserable hot you might want to stick your piggies in the water to cool off a bit :lol:

~Cindy

For totlots I wear a pair of trusty worn in tennis shoes.

For woods I wear my pair of waterproof wolverine boots.

For water I wear a pair of Speedo Water shoes. They have great traction on the bottom for walking on rocks and they keep your feet from burning on the hot sand. Flipflops/sandals are ok but the sand gets VERY hot here so I opted for water shoes instead.

Back
Top Bottom