Headphones for hot days!

Tinky1878

Forum Supporter
Hi! I need a small set of headphones, maybe even cordless, that I can wear on these 100 degree days that won't burn me up like those big ones I have now. The big ones work great in the winer, but they will burn you up in the summer. Any suggestions?

I know what you mean Tinky, the large ones get all sweaty and nasty, my ears start getting itchy and uncomfortable......not sure what machine you have , but I hear tell of guys using ''ear buds'' with sucess, most likely you need an adaptor of some sort to plug them into the machine, but I think they are cheap ......good luck, and if you find something that seems to work, please post what you came up with.......

Radio shack has adapters for the earbuds... and they have Koss earbuds that do well. Ratphones are quite light by the way. RickO

ear buds

Radio Shack sells an adapter for about three or four bucks, and ear buds work well but may be too loud if your macine dosn't have a volume control.

be nice to have a good pair with maybe some vents in em. i know my ghost are hot,gotta stop every half hour or so to drain em out:wow::yes:

earbuds

I use Skull Candy ear buds. They have volume control which is nice and they also have great noise cancellation so I don't hear what is going on around me. My only complaint is that the cord is a little short, but I plan to get an extension.

Hope this helps.

Sennheiser makes some earbuds that have an inline volume control. I have owned 3 pair of Sennheisers (one set of those buds, and 2 over the ear type) and they all have been superb. Though, I will also tell you I have never used them for MDing. If you have some cash to spend, there are no better earbuds on the market than those made by Shure.

I've been using these for about a year. They're relatively cheap and work fine. They have a 90 warranty. For about $8 you can get the warranty extended for a year. I think it's worth the extra $8 bucks.

http://www.radioshack.com/sm-2-4ghz-wireless-stereo-headphones--pi-2255017.html

They're light weight, cordless and there's no delay.

This is a great idea! I hate having to deal with the earphone wires! How long do the internal batteries last before you have to charge them up again?

RWSNC.... How do they work with the detector? If they are wireless, I do not understand how you pick up the tones from the detector?? Could you explain?? RickO

wireless headphones usually come with a receiver that you plug into the headphone jack where the cord plugs in on a wired set. the question i would have is weather the broadcast signal would cause interference problems with the machine itself. i'd also worry about the quality of the signal. im looking for a high fidelity signal and i dont want to wonder if that crackle is caused by what is in the ground or by a less than perfect wireless connection. For this reason id hesitate on bluetooth technology for MDing as well.

Just my $.02

I thought it was the other way round? A transmitter plugs into the headphone jack of the detector and the wireless headphone is the receiver. Guess that's why I'm no engineer!
If this thing frees me to stand up to take a break and stretch my back whenever I want without having to worry about ripping my headphones from my detector that's lying on the ground then I think it's worth another look. So long as it will give good tone when a valid target is in the ground. Any crackle is easy enough to ignore. Just make sure your hunting buddy does not have a pair and hunting within 30 feet of you! :D If I can get 2-3 hours on a single charge then it'd be worth it. 6 hrs would be fantastic!

When I bought my XP a little while back, it came with these headphones as standard. They are a corded headphone, with an inline volume control.
http://www.metaldetectorshop.co.uk/Accessories/headphones/backphones.htm
Nice to wear when it's hot.

I also bought the WS3 cordless headphones, but as they have a full ear cup, they are too hot to wear in the summer. Cordless phones are good, although they are a bit more expensive. These can operate on either of two frequencies, to avoid interference from other users.
http://www.metaldetectorshop.co.uk/XP/ws3cordlessheadphones.htm
The WS3s only work with XP machines unfortunately.

This is a great idea! I hate having to deal with the earphone wires! How long do the internal batteries last before you have to charge them up again?

Sorry that I haven't responded sooner....

I really don't know, to tell you the truth. I always recharge them after every use. I like keeping them at their maximum.

RWSNC.... How do they work with the detector? If they are wireless, I do not understand how you pick up the tones from the detector?? Could you explain?? RickO

There's a transmitter that you plug into the earphone jack. The entire package comes with behind the head cordless earphones, a transmitter, and an adapter for recharging. You'll also need an adapter that you can also pick up from Radio Shack (something like this http://www.radioshack.com/sm-1-8-stereo-jack-to-1-4-stereo-plug-headphone--pi-2062468.html ).

Ricko and dglfi.... Sorry for the late response. For some reason, I'm not getting email notifications.

Ricko and dglfi.... Sorry for the late response. For some reason, I'm not getting email notifications.

I'm not getting notifications either- never did, probably turned it off in my profile somewhere. I just went and got one of these things and a .25" adapter. Will test it out once I get them charged up.

Back
Top Bottom