Gloves for safety

shawn

Has anyone come across any used needles while they were out detecting? When I was living in Germany some friends and I would come across a used needle every so often near a playground which was roughly 100 to 200 feet. When I visit some of the tot lots, I plan on wearing gloves just to prevent any broken bottles finding my fingers but my days in germany had me thinking about these needles.

You're right - that is possible. Gloves are a good idea. Even burried can-slaw can cut you up. I pulled a very thin rod out of the ground last weekend - too thick to be a needle, but it made me wish I had been wearing gloves - just to be safer.

I am always on the lookout for needles and have run across a lot of them. I don't know of any gloves that will protect you from a needle puncture. I spent many years as a Firefighter / EMT and needles were very common. Just keep your eyes open, they can appear anywhere. Jim

I think some of the better quality surgical gloves, offer some protection against needles ?

Needles can be anywhere, but especially around city parks... be careful.. some police gloves offer a bit of protection (i.e. Quartermaster)... in the long run, caution is the byword. If I were in an area that started showing needles, personally, I would leave. Just not worth the risk. RickO

This place:
here
Offers some pretty serious safety gloves (some w/ kevlar and/or stainless steel thread woven in) and the prices aren't too bad, either.

The best protection is, of course, to not put your fingers anywhere your eyes can't see.

Lowe's

I bought my gloves at Lowe's (fast becoming the closest to a 'metal detecting supply store' around here.)
I bought a pair of "Mechanic's style glove" with a leather palms, and mesh back with a wrist strap. They run in the $10-$20 bracket for these, but hey, I think my hands are worth it! I also found that these contain no melal, so I can hold a plug in my hand, and scan it with the coil. (yes.. I still haven't invested in a pin pointer) ;)
I found out the hard way, (ouch) that even a mower-shredded-pop-can" can be hazardous to the hand! Afterwards I made the trip to Lowe's for these gloves.

And I might even mention the tools and supplies I have bought from Lowe's for my metal detecting hobby.
One hand garden shovel, stainless steel with ergonomic grip.
One hand held three tine rake, plastic ("for surface scratching,and I find it doesn't effect the metal detector coil.)
One 'mini-shovel' with "D" handle
One set of 8 rechargable batteries.
One metal mesh waste basket. (I bought this for 'sifting' the soil" in these sand hills I live in, but it creates havic with with detector. So now it holds the 'junk' until I figure out how and where to dispose of it.

And I'm not sure who's message it was that I read about using golf tees for pin pointing or marking, but for me it's working. I have found that if the evening sun is setting faster than I would like, or the mosquitoes start their attacks, I can mark a potential spot with a bright colored golf tee and come back the next day to check it out.

Dusty Eagle

Might be a good idea to get a tetanus shot too! I was testing my new MD in my backyard and found a really thin sliver of rusted iron.

gloves for safety

Thought I would post a pic of my gloves, "Mechinix" purchased at Lowe's in the garden department. They seem to be holding up well under soil conditions and serving their purpose to protect the hands. They have leather palms and fingers and lighter than regular leather gloves. The wrist band closes around the wrist, helping keep dirt out. These gloves were about $16 on sale, but well worth the investment.

The "Markers" are golf tees. I started using these to aid in "pin pointing" with my Garrett's Ace 150. After getting a hit that I might want to dig, I place a tee in what I believe is the "pin point". Then I can even change position, mode settings, discrimination level, take a sip of a soft drink or water, and still not lose the position. (This tip was in another message that I read on the forum!. Thanks to whoever it was. For me, it's working!)
The longer tees are a "Father's Day present" from my daughter, .. who works at country club. Being as long as they are, I can mark the spot, and even come back in a day or two, and find it. And the brighter colors make them easier to spot.

http://metaldetectingforum.com/album.php?albumid=26&pictureid=377

Dusty Eagle

Last edited:
Ha, glad i wasn't the only one. I use black Mechanix gloves from the automotive section of Wal*Mart. If anyone is that scared about getting poked, Law Enforcement and EMT supply sites like Galls.com have gloves similar to the mechanix gloves, but with kevlar inners that are puncture proof. I bought a pair I used for snowboarding so i wouldn't have to worry about ice tearing them to shreds when leaning and sliding my hand across the snow.

I'm not a doctor or anything, but a needle which has been buried for a good while is probably not going to be infectious as far as human diseases. Tetanus is probably a bigger risk, since it's a naturally occurring bacteria in the soil. Of course needles which were recently dropped are a different story.

Back
Top Bottom