First silver of the year and my first Barber dime!

OkieDigger

Forum Chipmunk
Forum Supporter
I decided to take a day off work since it was going to be so nice out. I did a lot of research over the winter and went to one of my new spots for the first time today. The ground was very very mineralized where I was hunting. I found the 1942 D wheat first and knew that I found a spot with some potential. When I found the 1926 wheat I started to really pay attention to the DFX. Soon afterwards I got a VDI of 80 on the screen and got a little excited :D I wasn't finding ANY new change and only iron trash which was telling me this probably wasn't a clad dime. I dug down and pulled out a silver dime. I was expecting to see a Merc and my eyes couldn't believe what I was seeing, a 1912 D Barber dime! Sweet! I detected for another 45 minutes and found a 1944 S wheat. I think I'll be going back when I get some more time :yes:

Attachments

• wheatsandbarber.jpg
    wheatsandbarber.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 210
  • Barberback.jpg
    Barberback.jpg
    27 KB · Views: 167
Nice! Those high VDI numbers sure do get the adrenaline flowing when they come up at such sites. That's a good looking Barber. :)

The wheats are in surprisingly good condition. The soil out here is very harsh on them, so they generally don't hold up too well.

Very nice dime and the wheats are in great shape. The soil must be kind to coins there. Way to start the year!

Nice going on your first Barber dime OD! I had the same suprise when I dug my first last fall. Actually thought it was probably a penny before I dug it and got quite a suprise.

See - it paid to take a day off work :) Research usually does pay off. Good luck on the return, Steve in so az

Excellent find on the dime!! Congrats. Nothing puts a smaile on your face more than finding a silver coin(except maybe Gold :lol:)

In CT I'm still dealing with surface collection only and a max digging depth of about a half inch :mad: . Even at the beach, you can only get down about 3-4 inches of sand before you hit the frost line.

Hopefully I'll be sharing some silver finds again soon.

Back
Top Bottom