Friendly Metal Detecting Forums   Big boys Hobbies
List all sponsors

Go Back   Friendly Metal Detecting Forums > Metal Detecting > Coinshooters and Relic Hunters

Old 08-09-2011, 06:08 PM
Elite Member

Location: Alabama, by way of Detroit, Tampa Bay, Alabama and Kansas
Default Another, "Always check your clad", thread

I dug about $80 in clad this year so far, which I think is not bad because I haven't got in anywhere near the hunting time in as last year due to life stuff.

That's ok, I just enjoy my time out in the heat and dirt that much more when I do get my chances.

Have dug a few gold rings and some other cool stuff this year so I am a happy camper.

I finally got the urge to start cleaning my real dirty clad last night, and after my first load of pennies and clad in my double tumbler, I took a closer look before dumping them into my clean piles to get ready for rolling.

These three beauties popped out of the pile and put a smile on my face.
Now don't laugh...I don't usually hunt in areas that have all that neat old stuff like you other guys find with your Barbers and standing libs and Indian heads, so when something like these come out of the ground I am thrilled.
I have no idea exactly where I dug these either, they are so covered with hard red dirt sometimes you can't even rub it off in the field.

I do usually check a little closer and do a little cleaning when I bring my coins home at the end of a hunt...but these 3 somehow, I missed.

A 44 wheat penny, a 53 D nickel and a 1947 S nickel, a mint mark that has always been a rare find on my side of the country.

Not a Morgan, Walker, or any silver in the bunch, but these three coins sure did make me smile!

Always check your clad, folks, something good could be hiding under all that dirt and you might not know it!

HH
Attached Images

Currently hunting with an F70, a Mojave and a borrowed Red Racer.
Plus a Nox 800.

Old 08-09-2011, 06:19 PM

I share your pain on the red dirt. The drought has made the ground so hard you almost need a hammer to drive a shovel into the ground.

Old 08-09-2011, 06:37 PM
Elite Member

Do you put a special chemical in to get get em all shiney? I can get my clad pretty clean but not shiney.

Aka:ZincLincDink (ATPro + Propointer + 95hunts/146.05 hours) = 2537 coins/ $228.67, (9)Wheaties, (3)Silver Rings, (4)10KT Rings, (1)18KT Ring, (26)Tokens, (27)Total Rings, (5)Foreign Coins) *Semper Fi*

Old 08-09-2011, 07:10 PM
Elite Member

His methods are deceptive Sam. He uses a tumbler and then takes a picture using a flash. That's his secret.

I've found lots of wheats doing what Digger said. After every load of coins I tumble I check all the nickels and pennies. So far I've found some older nickels and about 5 or 6 wheaties, mostly 44s. Something about those 44s...

Old 08-09-2011, 07:40 PM
Elite Member

Originally Posted by Bonesquat View post
His methods are deceptive Sam. He uses a tumbler and then takes a picture using a flash. That's his secret.

I've found lots of wheats doing what Digger said. After every load of coins I tumble I check all the nickels and pennies. So far I've found some older nickels and about 5 or 6 wheaties, mostly 44s. Something about those 44s...
Ok Mr.Give all my secrets away!
I will have you know it is the light from my eyes, not a flash...

Ok, a little bit of my xenon lamp, but I still have beautiful eyes...the girlfriend told me so!

Plus a Nox 800.

Old 08-09-2011, 07:45 PM
Supporter

That's a lot of targets this year for you. Adds up

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Dig Colonial or go Home

Old 08-10-2011, 12:03 AM
Elite Member

Originally Posted by DIGGER27 View post

Ok, a little bit of my xenon lamp, but I still have beautiful eyes...the girlfriend told me so!

Old 08-10-2011, 12:07 AM
Elite Member

Cool finds

Old 08-10-2011, 02:12 AM
Elite Member

Originally Posted by DIGGER27 View post

Delusional.

Old 08-10-2011, 08:18 AM
Elite Member

Originally Posted by Bonesquat View post
Delusional.
My story...sticking too it.

The color of the sky in MY world is a nice magenta...in case you were wondering.

Plus a Nox 800.