Friendly Metal Detecting Forums   Quality Metal Detectors
List all sponsors

Go Back   Friendly Metal Detecting Forums > Metal Detecting > Beach and Water Hunting

Old 10-09-2018, 10:12 PM
Elite Member

Default Hurricane Michael erosion

Looks like some good metal detecting in the beaches of FL panhandle.

Old 10-10-2018, 10:46 AM
Global Moderator

Default right now

I just came in from the beach here at Siesta Key. 40 to 50 mph winds, 6 ft breakers with a surge that came in last night that brought in another foot of sand. The wet sand coughed up a few coins and the light stuff, tabs bottle caps, and slaw. High tide again around 1 pm. I will be out again around 5.

Here till Saturday, Something good will turn up between now and then.

Old 10-10-2018, 11:00 AM
Elite Member

Originally Posted by grinsebring View post
I just came in from the beach here at Siesta Key. 40 to 50 mph winds, 6 ft breakers with a surge that came in last night that brought in another foot of sand. The wet sand coughed up a few coins and the light stuff, tabs bottle caps, and slaw. High tide again around 1 pm. I will be out again around 5.

Good to meet up with you both yesterday on the beach.

I went back last night to hit the low tide, soft sand removed at the top of the beach, picked up a few more coins.

Old 10-10-2018, 11:51 AM
Elite Member

Go get 'em!
Just watch out for...

Old 10-10-2018, 11:57 AM
Elite Member

Stay safe people and after the storm passes go check out those beaches!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Instagram @diggingri

Old 10-10-2018, 12:21 PM
Elite Member

The wind is blowing from the east pretty strong on the east coast. I'm afraid it going to bring in sand for us.

Old 10-10-2018, 12:29 PM
Elite Member

Is it protocol for some beaches being off limits for a period of time, following a big storm?

Old 10-10-2018, 02:46 PM
Elite Member

Originally Posted by dirtydog View post
The wind is blowing from the east pretty strong on the east coast. I'm afraid it going to bring in sand for us.
Yup....

Old 10-10-2018, 02:54 PM
Elite Member

Originally Posted by Martin_V3i View post
Is it protocol for some beaches being off limits for a period of time, following a big storm?
No. They can't force you by law. Just cut off first responders. Won't get help if you need it if you were in a mandatory evacuation.

Some people are still fishing in the gulf.

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 10-10-2018, 03:22 PM
Elite Member

I've been exploring beach erosion episodes, during some of the worst storms, since 1980. Thus 38 yrs. And in all that time, I've only ever seen a single beach where any "powers-that-be" were shooing away arriving curiosity seekers. That was when towering waves were dangerously crashing right against the cliff (beach completely eroded, so nothing to stop the waves from going "all the way in". But in that case, anyone wishing to go down, just went a block further north or south, and went down anyhow. (Surfers, md'rs, curiosity seekers, etc...)

I've seen beaches that had yellow tape across the entry trail. But people just stepping around it.

In all such cases, I have no doubt, that if you were to dial up the people (county ? City ? State ? etc...) that administers that beach and say : "Hi, can I go down onto the beach during this storm ?" Guess what they would say ? Moral of the story ? : Don't ask silly questions , and you won't get silly answers

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 10-10-2018, 03:50 PM
Elite Member

Cool. Thanks.

Old 10-11-2018, 09:26 AM
Elite Member

YES, many beaches are off limits! I work for Fed and FL-state agencies. Areas that were evacuated or sustained significant damage are frequently shut down / restricted for emergency response efforts and to prevent looting.

The most effective enforcement happens on barrier islands, e.g., places that require a bridge and typically include intracoastal land. These areas often have high-end residential, hotels, and tourist beaches. To access them, you have to be a first responder, disaster assistance agency, or a resident.

LEOs give every effort to enforce law that protects other beach front locations, but that doesn't mean people won't travel a few miles away and then use the beach to walk back to the location. For example, last year in Melbourne and Flager, sheriffs patrolled the beach on ATVs. The "alleged" trespassers were told to turn around and leave the area or they would be arrested. We've also used helicopters to give verbal warnings too.

Originally Posted by Tom_in_CA View post
..38 yrs. And in all that time, I've only ever seen a single beach where any "powers-that-be" were shooing away arriving curiosity seekers.
^^^as mentioned above, FL must be much different than CA...then again, as soon as a natural disaster requires fed agencies like FEMA, you are absolutely going to be restricted.

Originally Posted by needler420 View post
No. They can't force you by law.
Yes, absolutely enforceable both by state law and fed law due to disaster response.

Last edited by DaviDs; 10-11-2018 at 10:55 AM.

Old 10-11-2018, 09:39 AM
Elite Member

The kicker is I am often one of the first people on the scene at heavily eroded beaches. It is prime hunting conditions and although my coworkers and boss know I like to MD, even I am not allowed to do so.

Old 10-11-2018, 10:44 AM
Elite Member

Originally Posted by Tom_in_CA View post
I've been exploring beach erosion episodes, during some of the worst storms, since 1980. Thus 38 yrs. And in all that time, I've only ever seen a single beach where any "powers-that-be" were shooing away arriving curiosity seekers. That was when towering waves were dangerously crashing right against the cliff (beach completely eroded, so nothing to stop the waves from going "all the way in". But in that case, anyone wishing to go down, just went a block further north or south, and went down anyhow. (Surfers, md'rs, curiosity seekers, etc...)

I've seen beaches that had yellow tape across the entry trail. But people just stepping around it.

In all such cases, I have no doubt, that if you were to dial up the people (county ? City ? State ? etc...) that administers that beach and say : "Hi, can I go down onto the beach during this storm ?" Guess what they would say ? Moral of the story ? : Don't ask silly questions , and you won't get silly answers

Another classic JUMP THE FENCE BROS, LAWS DON'T MATTER!!!! answer by Tom in CA....sad

and this one could get people hurt

Old 10-11-2018, 11:16 AM
Elite Member

The beach mentioned has 3 cops that run up and down the beach. Iím headed up tomorrow. I was there Mon. Stuff in the water like bottle caps. Sand was in so much being stopped at the N. End by the sand bar building up filling in the trough. But winds shifted soooo did it move some out ? Iíll see.

D. Meeker

Old 10-11-2018, 02:45 PM
Elite Member

It is a matter of common sense. If it looks dangerous, it is dangerous. Not only do you have to worry about the waves, you have to worry about what ever debris is in the waves.

Of course, you also have to worry about those sharknadoes that hurricanes can spawn down south.

Old 10-11-2018, 06:49 PM
Supporter

Originally Posted by grinsebring View post

Michael dumped a foot on our beaches as well