Friendly Metal Detecting Forums   Deteknix
List all sponsors

Go Back   Friendly Metal Detecting Forums > Detectors and Gear > All About Detectors

Old 10-07-2018, 10:53 PM
Supporter

Default What numbers are you digging on the NOX?

Here a look at a relic and its VDI numbers.

Old 10-08-2018, 06:31 AM

Another awesome video Calabash.

I dig everything from 1-=40.

I've seen videos of people digging gold on the beach as low as 1!

To me, if it's repeatable and/or sounds hood...i'm digging it.

IMHO...people who notch out numbers on the vdi with discrimination are gonna miss stuff.

Thanks for the video dude.

Matt.

Sent from my LG-H870 using Tapatalk

Old 10-08-2018, 07:58 AM
Supporter

I never disc anything out and usually run in all metal just to hear everything, but I normally only dig solid numbers 8 and above, but it depends where I'm hunting. Sometimes at the soccer field I'll dig lower numbers.

Old 10-08-2018, 09:05 AM
Supporter

It depends on where I'm hunting.

In my tot lots its anything 1 or above. For this I have customized coin 2 program.

For coin hunting I have 12-13 open and 18+ open. Everything else is blocked. For this I use a customized Coin 1. I use this at most parks/schools/yards.

For relics I use my tot lot program. Basically anything above a 1 give a tone, but, I watch for stable numbers before I make a decision to recover.

Old 10-08-2018, 09:09 AM
Supporter

What do you mean by stable?

Old 10-08-2018, 09:29 AM
Supporter

I'm pretty sure he means no bouncing VDI

Old 10-08-2018, 09:45 AM
Supporter

Yeah that's what I kinda thinking. I don't dig that way. Numbers can get affected and bounce by a few factors. OF COURSE im speaking from a relic hunter perspective.

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 10-08-2018, 09:52 AM

To each their own of course. I can see checking the ID for coins and rings....maybe even round buttons....

But for relic hunting? I just see no value there personally. Many relics are odd shapes and sizes and will have no problem bouncing your ID around.

Passing up an oddly shaped 1600's-1700's relic sure would be a nightmare because you were checking for stable ID's.

Old 10-08-2018, 09:57 AM
Supporter

TRUE TRUE, my good friend passed a choppy signal on 1700s site and told me where it was. I dug it!!! It turned out to be a silver walking liberty half. YOU SHOULD HAVE SEEN HIS FACE! BTW is was collocated with another target.

Old 10-08-2018, 10:28 AM
Supporter

Itís pretty universal across all machines that relics can come in all across the VDI, so when youíre out hunting relics you treat them like Pokťmon and dig them all, even the bounce.

The issue that comes into play is if youíre hunting relics in a modern use site. Take Ft. Meade for example, specifically Annapolis Junction thatís been used consistently since it was a CW camp. Iíve pulled some amazing CW stuff out of there but unless youíre prepared to dig for 10 years straight there isnít any way to dig them all; every swing sounds like firing off a flute uzi. In that case I have to let the bouncers go, itís just one more level of discrimination in the toolbox to sort through the million pieces of garbage. In this case the Equinox isnít giving me enough target bounce in multi, but I have a feeling that it will in single frequency. Was hoping to get out today to test that, but the long haired devil wonít stop adding to my honey-do list.

I donít have too many sites in the Rolodex here that are great relic sites and not flooded with modern trash. That may change though, Iíve been in the farm country door knocking all summer, and have about two dozen sites that Iím waiting to get plowed under. In there is where I think the Equinox will shine if their iron heavy.

Old 10-08-2018, 10:38 AM
Elite Member

For me it is all about the situation. Typically, I'm digging it all. If I am in an area that is really high in tabs, I'll discriminate them out. If there is a bunch of can slaw, I will discriminate it out. Yes, I am missing good targets that way but I am limiting my digging to better targets. I may also cherry pick in an area where I am concerned with the ground conditions. Example, a local city park that is kept golf course nice, I'm not digging up trash there just to leave holes, no matter how clean.

BCD

Old 10-08-2018, 11:05 AM
Supporter

Depends on what I'm looking for. For relics or jewelry, I generally dig everything that sounds good from 1 on up.

For coin shooting, I don't use any discrimination, but I'll mute the volume on everything except for 11-13 and 17-40.

Old 10-08-2018, 11:15 AM
Supporter

Originally Posted by Rattlehead View post
Depends on what I'm looking for. For relics or jewelry, I dig everything that sounds good from 1 on up.

For coin shooting, I don't use any discrimination, but I'll mute the volume on everything except for 11-13 and 17-40.
On the Equinox, isnít discrimination in effect just muting those discrimed numbers from coming through? When I was goofing around in the test garden, whether I muted blocks out or discrimed blocks out, it reacted exactly the same.

Only asking because something I read a lot, especially on Findmall, is people saying their always running wide open so as not to miss any signals, and Iíve found that not to be the case, at all. Itís not like the F75 where the discrimination is clipping off the good signals.

Old 10-08-2018, 11:32 AM
Supporter

Originally Posted by ChrisMD View post
On the Equinox, isnít discrimination in effect just muting those discrimed numbers from coming through? When I was goofing around in the test garden, whether I muted blocks out or discrimed blocks out, it reacted exactly the same.

Only asking because something I read a lot, especially on Findmall, is people saying their always running wide open so as not to miss any signals, and Iíve found that not to be the case, at all. Itís not like the F75 where the discrimination is clipping off the good signals.
Here's an example of why I do it: If I'm coin shooting with 14-16 muted, and get a borderline signal at 16-17 (IHP for example), I'll get a choppy tone but can still glance down and see the ID bouncing around fairly steady at 15-17.. This tells me that its a possible good target that has iron nearby which is dragging down the signal/ID. Its basically just a little more info for me to consider when making my decision to dig or not.

Old 10-08-2018, 11:34 AM
Supporter

Here's an example of why I do it: If I'm coin shooting with 14-16 muted, and get a borderline signal at 16-17 (IHP for example), I'll get a choppy tone but can still glance down and see the ID bouncing around fairly steady at 15-17.. This tells me that its a possible good target that has iron nearby which is dragging down the signal/ID. Its basically just a little more info for me to consider when making my decision to dig or not.
Ahhhh, ok. Had t even though of that. Iíve been flipping into all metal to peek those choppy signals at the cutoff, but that would be much better. Thanks, you just learned me something!

Old 10-08-2018, 11:35 AM
Supporter

Originally Posted by ChrisMD View post
Ahhhh, ok. Had t even though of that. Iíve been flipping into all metal to peek those choppy signals at the cutoff, but that would be much better. Thanks, you just learned me something!
Flipping to all metal works too.. I just prefer my way because I can see it instantly without needing to press any buttons.

Old 10-08-2018, 11:37 AM
Supporter

Flipping to all metal works too.. I just prefer my way because I can see it instantly without needing to press any buttons.
No doubt your way works much better, Iíll be changing my user profile over today. All hail Rattlehead!

Old 10-08-2018, 11:58 AM
Supporter

What do you mean by stable?
Yes Chris has it mostly right. By stable I also mean getting the same numbers, be it different from a different angle, on every swing. Foil has the tendency to vary VDI numbers even when you swing from the same angle each time. If I get a 4 from one direction and keep getting a 4 I tend to examine it closer. Foil will more often give you a 4 on one swing and then a 1 on a swing from the same direction.

And odd shaped pendent will often give you say a 4 on every swing from one angle and a solid 7 from another. The key for me is the stable number on each swing in the same direction.

Old 10-08-2018, 12:16 PM
Supporter

Thanks for explaining.

Old 10-08-2018, 12:29 PM
Elite Member

I assume all you guys muting tones are not running a 600.