Friendly Metal Detecting Forums   Big boys Hobbies
List all sponsors

Go Back   Friendly Metal Detecting Forums > Detectors and Gear > All About Detectors

Notices

Old 10-05-2018, 11:20 AM

Sad I hate to hear people losing jobs. The county I live in was really nothing, but textile mills for years and years. In about a 5 year span they for the most part were all gone. Entire families losing jobs at the same time. Now all that stands of the mills is pretty much just rubble. It still breaks my heart to ride by one, and think about what they meant for the people of this county.

Old 10-05-2018, 11:33 AM

Sad to hear people losing their jobs like that. Hope they all find work soon. Can't say I'm surprised though I have wondered for a while how tesoro was still in business. Their machines do not compete in almost any market. The tech is from the 80s and 90s at best.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Old 10-05-2018, 12:45 PM

Originally Posted by choppadude View post
People bust on unions but at least they give you protections against things like this.
this is true! it's what ya pay your union dues for!..if it wasn't for unions,most would be working' for sh*t,and then "dumped" whenever the urge hit! think about it!..i'm just saying'

(h.h.!)
j.t.

2 members found this post helpful.
Old 10-05-2018, 12:51 PM

Originally Posted by tnsharpshooter View post
It is a combination of things competition wise causing.

Like Equinox
Like Deep Tech series
Like Deus
Like Quest series
Like Makro series
Like Nokta series
Reduced prices of both Fisher and Technetic series detectors.

Just think, in the last few years how many other models are available to folks both new and used.

Market share for Tesoro has had to have shrunk.

And look at the prices of used units currently. Cheap.

Donít be surprised to see some merges. I suspect highly Tesoro is not the only one struggling. Wonít say whom else. But folks I think know. Just think about which manufacturers seems donít get the honorable mention vs yesteryear.
yes! you are right!..we DO know! and it's SAD!..didnt need to happen
"dumb ass" management decisions!..maybe get better!..wait and see!

(h.h.!)
j.t.

Old 10-05-2018, 12:54 PM

Originally Posted by Jason in Enid View post
This is also where great customer service can cut your own throat! On top of the fact that Tesoro hasnt added any new technology in decades, they have been promising owners they would always repair their old detectors. So now you have thousands (10s of thousands??) of users out there with old detectors, no incentive to buy a new one, and an obligation to keep repairing those old detectors forever.

Another nail in their coffin was a lack to keep up with the emerging customer base. You can't live on yesterday's customers, you have to constantly recruit new ones. Millennials arent reading detecting magazines and most arent on forums but they ARE on FB, twitter, IG and other social media. Any company that ignores social media is already outdated and dying.
today,ANY company that ignores social media does so at their own peril!

(h.h.!)
j.t.

Old 10-05-2018, 12:56 PM

Originally Posted by detectorben View post
Sad to hear people losing their jobs like that. Hope they all find work soon. Can't say I'm surprised though I have wondered for a while how tesoro was still in business. Their machines do not compete in almost any market. The tech is from the 80s and 90s at best.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
still a viable platform though! analog works when you learn the audio nuances!
still find a ton of stuff in the hands of experienced users!

(h.h.!)
j.t.

Old 10-05-2018, 01:06 PM
Elite Member

Originally Posted by jmaryt View post
this is true! it's what ya pay your union dues for!..if it wasn't for unions,most would be working' for sh*t,and then "dumped" whenever the urge hit! think about it!..i'm just saying'

(h.h.!)
j.t.

So true ! I'm retired and very thankful for all the Union has done and is still doing for me .

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 10-05-2018, 01:52 PM
Supporter

Originally Posted by BRJ123 View post
and all you have to do is pay them part of your salary your entire career and listen to their constant annoyances. what a deal.
Money well spent I say. In a case like this the workers under Union protections would most likely get a 90 day notice of the factory closing, a negotiated severance package as well worker retraining programs that would allow the workers to go to school and earn a degree or vocational training. Yeah its not all roses but the good sure outweighs the bad. Been union for almost 30 years and I have very few complaints.

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 10-05-2018, 01:59 PM

Originally Posted by choppadude View post
Money well spent I say. In a case like this the workers under Union protections would most likely get a 90 day notice of the factory closing, a negotiated severance package as well worker retraining programs that would allow the workers to go to school and earn a degree or vocational training. Yeah its not all roses but the good sure outweighs the bad. Been union for almost 30 years and I have very few complaints.
yup! been savin' the "bacon" for a good long time now! started in the 1900's when the rich a**holes ran the show in this country! treated people like sH*T,
the working' man stood up for his human rights and rebelled!..the rest, as they say is history!

(h.h.!)
j.t.

Old 10-05-2018, 02:02 PM
Elite Member

Originally Posted by jmaryt View post
still a viable platform though! analog works when you learn the audio nuances!
still find a ton of stuff in the hands of experienced users!

(h.h.!)
j.t.
Sorry, but I'll chose raw ability over nuance every time. I used to have the Garrett MH-7 which was the last true analog detector I owned. It had a good needle gauge display but the tones did have that nuance. I could ID a silver target almost every time just by the sound. As great as that ability was, the detector sucked for depth and target separation. I'll still choose my EQX with double the MH-7's depth and insanely fast separating instead of just one big blob of a target.

My Twitter https://twitter.com/TheSilverFiend
Instagram https://www.instagram.com/detecting_silver/

Old 10-05-2018, 02:08 PM
Elite Member

Here is part of the reason why.

Look here at the prices of these metered detectors.
https://www.bigboyshobbies.net/metal...etal-detectors

Look here at the price of these unmetered detectors.

With Equinox release and price along with First Texas dropping prices, a domino effect has occurred. So there is likely no room at all now for Tesoro to build and sell detectors with profit. They were on the bottom of the stack of Dominos. There are other who arenít much better off. Weíll know sooner than later too.

Old 10-05-2018, 05:12 PM

Not good news, but I can understand why it's happening. Cheap processing power has enabled faster and more accurate target ID than ever before. And the audio in many modern detectors is as nuanced and informative as an analog machine. Electronics are sealed and no pots to get dirty. Don't get me wrong. I really like Tesoro. My B2ĶMax/Cleansweep is one of the best tot lot and ball field combinations ever. With a concentric it has plenty of depth as well. I still get tempted to buy a Vaquero occasionally. But ultimately it's a small market, and not one geared to younger buyers interested in the latest tech. Who knows? Maybe someone like FT will buy them out and take them to new heights. I wouldn't be holding my breath though.

Old 10-05-2018, 06:39 PM
Elite Member

Originally Posted by mortarman View post
That's very sad news. I hope they do bounce back. From what I hear Prescott isn't that big of a town, hopefully all those employees will be able to get other jobs. Ironically, I just received a new Tejon yesterday. I guess I'll still send in the registration anyway, just in case.
It doesn't bode well for the future of the company when lay-off are unannounced and a surprise to everyone. When its done as a suprise! its usually the death nell for the company.

Its another thing to lay workers off and say we're restructuring. That's not the case here so I'm guessing they're done for good.

Old 10-05-2018, 07:15 PM

It's a shame for the brand one of the pioneers...

What wonders me why the American manufacturers arent developing?
Are they rusted in the thinking?

If you only have analog machines you are loodsing it. IMO.
Every noob thinks digital is the way to go. And will buy one of those....

Hope they are not lost....best wishes to all employees.

Tecnetiks T2 for instance.... Still reinventing.
Garret At max/pro.... When will they work on the weight and balance. And come with a new design.
White's.... Remember they had lost a protype last at 2017 detectival..?!? Where was it now??

Old 10-05-2018, 07:34 PM
Supporter

Dang that sucks! Wish the Tesoro workers luck in finding new jobs!

Guess I sent my Compadre back just in time

Got my repaired Compadre back this morning. They received it 9/24, repaired it 9/28, shipped it back to me on 10/2. Sean worked on it. Rebuilt and retuned my coil. Glad I sent it when I did, still sad theyíre going under.

EQUINOX800(on the way), 2 Compadres : 2018 (Total (4/4/13 to date)) - Clad: $180.79 ($822.29), Silver coins: 1 (6), Wheats: 17 (46), Gold: 6 (24), .925 9 (58), Rings: 44 (184), Oldest Coins: 1921 Ten Centavos Filipinas; Chinese cash coin

Old 10-05-2018, 07:39 PM
Elite Member

With Equinox release and price along with First Texas dropping prices, a domino effect has occurred. So there is likely no room at all now for Tesoro to build and sell detectors with profit. They were on the bottom of the stack of Dominos. There are other who arenít much better off. Weíll know sooner than later too.
Not Garrett,theyíre still thriving and the selling more than ever,actually the leading seller in the hobby side of metal detector sales today.

Old 10-05-2018, 07:42 PM
Elite Member

Originally Posted by woodbutcher View post
Not Garrett,theyíre still thriving and the selling more than ever,actually the leading seller in the hobby side of metal detector sales today.
No Woodbutcher, Garrett Detectors would be another reason (competitor) Tesoro is struggling.
Make no mistake though, Garrett has lost some market share in last couple years.

There has been a siphoning effect caused by Minelab with Equinox. Their goal actually. As it would be with any manufacturer.

Some siphoning effect too caused by Makro/Nokta. Although in USA likely not a as great as the Nox series.

Something too that could be hurting Tesoro is the booming economy in USA. Folks may indeed have more loot to spend (or are less cautious with their money) towards a metal detector hence they are spending more on other models vs just a couple years ago.

I also think the younger generation of current and up and coming detectorist likely are more about screens and data. They work the !!!! out of cell phones, iPads, etc. so a meterless detector they have little interest. And vidoes on YouTube and Facebook comm, just how much are Tesoroís talked about?? I donít know.

Think about it.
About all autos sold new have back up cameras.
So folks expect them as standard equipment now.
They are taken for granted.
Now we are on auto braking, etc. with autos.

Back up camera on auto, maybe its equivalent is wireless headphones with detector.

Any manufacturer who makes a detector without wireless headphones /wireless headphone capability,,lord help them. Detector likely a BIG dud sales wise.

Any electronic device with Knobs nowadays is consider old fashioned, for old farts as far as younger generation(s).

Last edited by tnsharpshooter; 10-05-2018 at 08:14 PM.

Old 10-05-2018, 08:45 PM
Elite Member

Who in their right mind would have paid 720 for a cortes with its 8 AA batteries and lack of a waterproof housing when you could have gotten an at pro or now the even better Equinox 600 for less. There is areason first texas had to drastically lower the price of their detectors

XP Deus Minelab Equinox Silver Totals-Spanish 18-Capped Bust 1-Seated 40-Oldest-Late 1600s Cobs-Louis XIV 4 Sols-Cut Pine Tree Shilling- Oldest US-1830 Bust Dime-Best Finds-1852 Gold $1-Silver Pomander circa 1700
https://metaldetectingforum.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=427435&d=1540594742

Old 10-05-2018, 09:10 PM

this is true,however those who like and buy tesoros don't care two craps about that as they will buy them anyway! it's what allowed tesoro to survive,but apparently not enough are buying in the face of competition.truly unfortunate! tesoros are really fun detectors that find a lot of good stuff!

(h.h.!)
j.t.

Old 10-05-2018, 09:14 PM
Elite Member

No Woodbutcher, Garrett Detectors would be another reason (competitor) Tesoro is struggling.
Make no mistake though, Garrett has lost some market share in last couple years.

There has been a siphoning effect caused by Minelab with Equinox. Their goal actually. As it would be with any manufacturer.

Some siphoning effect too caused by Makro/Nokta. Although in USA likely not a as great as the Nox series.

Something too that could be hurting Tesoro is the booming economy in USA. Folks may indeed have more loot to spend (or are less cautious with their money) towards a metal detector hence they are spending more on other models vs just a couple years ago.

I also think the younger generation of current and up and coming detectorist likely are more about screens and data. They work the !!!! out of cell phones, iPads, etc. so a meterless detector they have little interest. And vidoes on YouTube and Facebook comm, just how much are Tesoroís talked about?? I donít know.

Think about it.
About all autos sold new have back up cameras.
So folks expect them as standard equipment now.
They are taken for granted.
Now we are on auto braking, etc. with autos.

Back up camera on auto, maybe its equivalent is wireless headphones with detector.

Any manufacturer who makes a detector without wireless headphones /wireless headphone capability,,lord help them. Detector likely a BIG dud sales wise.

Any electronic device with Knobs nowadays is consider old fashioned, for old farts as far as younger generation(s).
I might be the exception if this is true,I like knobs on machines.And I definitely hate anything that needs charged,Id sooner have fresh batteries to pop in and go,,charging is probably my biggest pet peeve when it comes to anything,I just hate that.
As for wireless headphones,well that just goes back to charging.I have wireless but hardly ever use them.I was gonna buy a Garrett zlink cause they have crazy run time,and hold a charge while sitting Idle for a week..But Iím not spending that kinda loot in them when I have multiple sets of good wired headphones.
I just bought a new Subaru Forester 2 months ago.The backup camera is cool,but Iíve already come close to side swiping a truck while using it at the mall,it has blind spots for sure on the sides,if your watching the camera itís great for whatís behind ya,but when I watch it I donít pay attention to the sides of the car,and thatís where the trouble happens.But I wouldnít trade that forester for a Bentley,that thing is a beast.