Friendly Metal Detecting Forums   Coiltek electronics
List all sponsors

Go Back   Friendly Metal Detecting Forums > Detectors and Gear > All About Detectors

Old 10-07-2018, 06:39 PM
Supporter

Default Equinox Observation Today While Hunting Dirt Gold

Ran across something today solely by accident. Iíve been trying to get my rate of digging dirt/park gold up to match what historically Iíve been with my other detectors, mainly the F75 the past couple of years.

My ratio of junk to rings has always been really low, and Iíve always done well. The fellas that I hunt with think Iím blessed and joke that Iím the lord of the rings, but to me itís been really simple if I followed my formula; just dig solid repeatable 4 way signals. No jumping VDI numbers, no digging if the numbers jump with coil pumps, the usual tricks. By jumping I mean large shifts, 2-4 is ok, as long as they are consistent.

Since the Equinox, my rate of recovery have been poop. Now this isnít scientific, the rings could just not be there. But today something happened which Iíve done some follow up testing and if it continues will have me not continue to dig all those ring possibles in the Park and switch back to my F75 when Iím sharking for park gold. By park I really mean sports fields, especially soccer and ball fields which tend to give me the highest rate of rings.

So today I had a guy out with me, whose relatively new to the hobby. Heís been out with me a few times and seen the ring finds, and wanted to know what the secret sauce was. He has an Ace without VDI and wanted to try a detector with a VDI, so I loaned him the Eurotek Pro since itís the best cheapest detector that I know of with a VDI, especially now that itís been rebadged as the Minuteman for $149.

So I found with the Equinox that was a really solid hit, I think it was a real solid 12 or 13, but I have it on video and can double check. The 12 or 13 isnít important though, as I replicated this all over the gold range, where the Equinox locked on to a solid 360 repeatable signal. So I call over young Ryan, reminding him of the principles of selecting good signals to dig in the gold range, and he starts sweeping and says based on what I told him it looks like junk. So thinking heís doing it wrong, I snatch the Eurotek out of his paws, and sure enough itís flying all over the place on the VDI, over a ten digit range of jumping. I dig it and itís a piece of can slaw.

That happened on several more signals that I cross checked out there, so I chock it up to the Eurotek wearing the 10Ē oval concentric. When I got home I tossed some of those can slaws in the dirt to test on the F75 with the DDís, both the 11Ē stock and the 9Ē Nel, and with the DD on it read all over the place. Nothing right and repeatable, but the Equinox was still ringing a tight dig me.

Tomorrow Iím hitting a soccer field, and Iím going to survey flag all my dig meís, and follow them all up with the F75 with the 11Ē stock coil to compare the signals. That will kind of be the deciding run for me on whether I continue to run the Equinox with gold possibilities notched in, as based off what I saw today my rate of ring finds to junk will be through the roof.

Old 10-07-2018, 06:52 PM
Supporter

Default Equinox Observation Today While Hunting Dirt Gold

On the plus side, I did find a ring today, hooked on someoneís keys, and a roughly 1880ís sterling brooch, I dated based off when the company used this specific pattern.

Old 10-07-2018, 07:04 PM

I had roughly the same experience with the Nox800. It lumped way to much trash into the 12 13 range and gave good solid hits all ways on it. I don't think they put a very good disc circuit in it. A lot of machines like the MXT, F75 even the Deus are better at discerning trash from treasure using minamal disc with ID bounce. Even on a Tesoro with disc set just to cut out a square nail you can tell can slaw from coin and ring hits just by the long tone.
The NOX would not be my first selection to hunt a trash park with if I had another detector to use.

Old 10-07-2018, 07:58 PM
Elite Member

I'm thinking the same, my At pro locks onto rings but with the Nox I'm just not so sure.
Its ok though I got the Nox as a silver sniffer and beach dig all tool.

Old 10-07-2018, 08:10 PM
Supporter

Originally Posted by ChrisMD View post
Ran across something today solely by accident. Iíve been trying to get my rate of digging dirt/park gold up to match what historically Iíve been with my other detectors, mainly the F75 the past couple of years.

My ratio of junk to rings has always been really low, and Iíve always done well. The fellas that I hunt with think Iím blessed and joke that Iím the lord of the rings, but to me itís been really simple if I followed my formula; just dig solid repeatable 4 way signals. No jumping VDI numbers, no digging if the numbers jump with coil pumps, the usual tricks. By jumping I mean large shifts, 2-4 is ok, as long as they are consistent.

Since the Equinox, my rate of recovery have been poop. Now this isnít scientific, the rings could just not be there. But today something happened which Iíve done some follow up testing and if it continues will have me not continue to dig all those ring possibles in the Park and switch back to my F75 when Iím sharking for park gold. By park I really mean sports fields, especially soccer and ball fields which tend to give me the highest rate of rings.

So today I had a guy out with me, whose relatively new to the hobby. Heís been out with me a few times and seen the ring finds, and wanted to know what the secret sauce was. He has an Ace without VDI and wanted to try a detector with a VDI, so I loaned him the Eurotek Pro since itís the best cheapest detector that I know of with a VDI, especially now that itís been rebadged as the Minuteman for $149.

So I found with the Equinox that was a really solid hit, I think it was a real solid 12 or 13, but I have it on video and can double check. The 12 or 13 isnít important though, as I replicated this all over the gold range, where the Equinox locked on to a solid 360 repeatable signal. So I call over young Ryan, reminding him of the principles of selecting good signals to dig in the gold range, and he starts sweeping and says based on what I told him it looks like junk. So thinking heís doing it wrong, I snatch the Eurotek out of his paws, and sure enough itís flying all over the place on the VDI, over a ten digit range of jumping. I dig it and itís a piece of can slaw.

That happened on several more signals that I cross checked out there, so I chock it up to the Eurotek wearing the 10Ē oval concentric. When I got home I tossed some of those can slaws in the dirt to test on the F75 with the DDís, both the 11Ē stock and the 9Ē Nel, and with the DD on it read all over the place. Nothing right and repeatable, but the Equinox was still ringing a tight dig me.

Tomorrow Iím hitting a soccer field, and Iím going to survey flag all my dig meís, and follow them all up with the F75 with the 11Ē stock coil to compare the signals. That will kind of be the deciding run for me on whether I continue to run the Equinox with gold possibilities notched in, as based off what I saw today my rate of ring finds to junk will be through the roof.
I think you're right on this. With the narrow VDI range the nox rings solid numbers on lots of junk. With my old F70 and a 1-99 range at least there was room for odd numbers that rang solid...that was a clue that it may be gold. Don't have that on the nox. I've dug many solid 13's, 15's, 16's etc only for them to be either pulltabs or canslaw. They also sounded really good with solid stable tones. Of the gold I've dug with my nox one ring was a big 10k class ring that rang just like a zinker alternating between 20 and 21. Another 5.6 g 14k ring rang a solid 17 from all directions. The third was a baseball 14k pin that weighed 2.something grams and it was a solid 10. The thing is I've since dug solid 10's and 17's and they were either foil or canslaw. Maybe I'm just not hearing the tonal differences between junk and gold. It's hard to get experience hearing any differences because gold is few and far between. I still dig solid VDI's though and will continue to, to hopefully find more gold.

Old 10-07-2018, 08:11 PM
Supporter

Originally Posted by metaladdict View post
I'm thinking the same, my At pro locks onto rings but with the Nox I'm just not so sure.
Its ok though I got the Nox as a silver sniffer and beach dig all tool.
Was yours like that before the update? I'm just wondering if the update had anything to do with it or it just always ran like this. Pre-update I just ran it as a coin cherry picker for coppers and above with nickel notched in.

What's funny to me is that for targets in the 20's and 30's the VDI jumps all over the place for trash, not sure why it's able to splatter the high conducting trash but locks tight on the low conductor trash.

Old 10-07-2018, 08:25 PM
Supporter

Maybe when you think you have a solid 4 way signal, switch to a prospecting or relic mode? I have no idea i am just throwing ideas out there. Or try switching to single freq near the F75 freq? Again just test ideas.

Old 10-07-2018, 08:47 PM
Supporter

Originally Posted by Trashfinder View post
Maybe when you think you have a solid 4 way signal, switch to a prospecting or relic mode? I have no idea i am just throwing ideas out there. Or try switching to single freq near the F75 freq? Again just test ideas.
Actually, you hit on something close to what I found out today. In multi-mode, the machine seems to be averaging out the signal and picking a TID that it thinks is best. I was goofing off with bottle caps, and the individual frequencies were giving me a lot more information to go on. That's on the plan for tomorrow when I survey flag all the targets, I'm going to run through all the individual frequencies and see how they react, and that should give me a lot more data to go on. I'll have the GoPro out with me and will post the video so others can maybe get something from it.

I wouldn't mind running it in single frequency in the least, so I hope that does the trick.

Old 10-07-2018, 09:08 PM

Originally Posted by ChrisMD View post
Actually, you hit on something close to what I found out today. In multi-mode, the machine seems to be averaging out the signal and picking a TID that it thinks is best. I was goofing off with bottle caps, and the individual frequencies were giving me a lot more information to go on. That's on the plan for tomorrow when I survey flag all the targets, I'm going to run through all the individual frequencies and see how they react, and that should give me a lot more data to go on. I'll have the GoPro out with me and will post the video so others can maybe get something from it.

I wouldn't mind running it in single frequency in the least, so I hope that does the trick.
now trust me i am NOT saying this to be a wise ass,or to be sarcastic in any way,BUT if you are going to run this detector in "single frequency",why would you spend the large scratch to buy it in the first place?..hell's a fire,you can buy a ton of detectors that just run single frequency,don't need to buy an equinox!.. i can understand ,IF you are just experimenting,but to continually run it in single frequency seems to me to be counter productive,as you are paying tall money for the multi-q technology!.i'm just sayin'

Old 10-07-2018, 09:18 PM
Supporter

What brand of detector can run 40 kh with a 11 inch coil? The NoxÖ you guys have it rough.

Old 10-07-2018, 09:19 PM
Supporter

Originally Posted by jmaryt View post
now trust me i am NOT saying this to be a wise ass,or to be sarcastic in any way,BUT if you are going to run this detector in "single frequency",why would you spend the large scratch to buy it in the first place?..hell's a fire,you can buy a ton of detectors that just run single frequency,don't need to buy an equinox!.. i can understand ,IF you are just experimenting,but to continually run it in single frequency seems to me to be counter productive,as you are paying tall money for the multi-q technology!.i'm just sayin'
Well, when I bought it I didn't know that it was going to be such a slog at ID'ing low conductors. Even running it in single frequency it is still comparatively priced to other selectable frequency detectors, like the Impact, the Multi-Kruzer, the Rutus, etc. So dollar for dollar the value proposition is there. And it separates better than my other detectors. I love my F75 and it isn't going anywhere, but the Equinox out separates it.

I wouldn't always run it in single, but I will if it helps with this park gold situation.

Old 10-07-2018, 09:27 PM
Elite Member

The Equinox 600 that I have was purchased be a beach detector. It is not a very good dry sand detector in my opinion for the reasons you stated. I wanted that do it all beach detector and the Equinox just can't get it done. I have the feeling like I am consistently trying to force it to do something it just can't live up to. Digging in the sand is easier than dirt, but I have used better detectors in the dry sand than the Equinox. In the wet where the trash is minimal the detector is great.

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 10-09-2018, 05:21 AM
Elite Member

Smile

Most of my nickels read 11-12 a solid 12 is usually a nickel. The last two times looking for nickels reading 12. My ratio of beaver tail pulltabs and can slaw was 60 trash to 1 nickel.

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 10-10-2018, 09:00 PM
Elite Member

I think a lot of us have tried to narrow down digging trash. Can slaw has to be one of the toughest things to pass up if you are looking for gold.
With my V3i running all three frequencies, there are a couple of analysis options that will graph or indicate the frequency hitting strongest. With polar plot, which I think the Deus has too, a non coin like shape will give a wild graph as opposed to a straight line.
With the Impact and my M6, I have to rely on the repeatable signal technique.

I think the best technique is to dig it all. Lol

Old 10-13-2018, 04:09 PM
Elite Member

Default Chris

The F75 se single frequency has been in the closet , since my nox, even the Deus that i traded a CTX3030 for has not been used , even though i have kept the F75 se , down the road i can see all the single frequency detector's become obsolete , what ever detector you use, what ever your detector coil goes over and see's is what you will find, what ever machine your running , if your coil doesn't go over a ring, you won't find, sad by true, happy hunting brother, watch those deer ticks, even those mosquitoes , a Baltimore Co. victim is in the hospital dying from West Nile , happy hunting , Earl PS addition , I see you sold your Nox, i am sure you will miss it bro. , at the beach , i love the machine.

Excalibur Blue 1000, Excalibur Blue 800, CTX3030, Equinox 800, Surf Pi DF, Scuba Tector, Sovereign GT, XP Deus WS5, F -75 SE-Boost & DST , Euro Tek Pro, 1976 Coin Master ***** In The Past Detectors used -- Two- E-trac's , V3I, Omega 8000, 3- Euro Tek Pro's,2- F75 Standard, Cz70 Pro, Cz20 , Excalibur Sword, Two Excalibur 2's & my 1st - One Hot Blue Excalibur 10