Friendly Metal Detecting Forums   Deteknix
List all sponsors

Go Back   Friendly Metal Detecting Forums > Detectors and Gear > All About Detectors

Old 10-07-2018, 09:15 PM

Originally Posted by pryan67 View post
My friend Tom can tell, with his Tesoro Silver uMax, ~90% of the time, what he's about to dig. I bring my AT Pro over, and it agrees with what he says it is most of the time, and he's right.

I don't have a Tesoro, but watching tom with it makes me wonder if I shouldn't get one.

BTW, he's blind and has learned his machine better than most people....he's incredibly impressive with his identification of targets. I've been hunting with him for a year (as of Monday) and he's been wrong maybe a half dozen times, tops.

i'll bet his hearing is better developed because he is blind!..this happens frequently that one of the senses becomes better as a result of disability..in any event,that is remarkable but can be done if one listens carefully to a tesoro's audio!

(h.h.!)
j.t.

Old 10-07-2018, 09:16 PM
Elite Member

Post Bankruptcy

There goes your life time warranty

Excalibur Blue 1000, Excalibur Blue 800, CTX3030, Equinox 800, Surf Pi DF, Scuba Tector, Sovereign GT, XP Deus WS5, F -75 SE-Boost & DST , Euro Tek Pro, 1976 Coin Master ***** In The Past Detectors used -- Two- E-trac's , V3I, Omega 8000, 3- Euro Tek Pro's,2- F75 Standard, Cz70 Pro, Cz20 , Excalibur Sword, Two Excalibur 2's & my 1st - One Hot Blue Excalibur 10

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 10-08-2018, 10:07 AM
Elite Member

Originally Posted by Steve View post
Well there's a reason for that.. what do you suppose would have happened if they had been given say a month warning in advance?
I'm sure the employees didn't depart with empty pockets. Bankruptcy is leaving with no compensation.. restructuring will give out something
Maybe I am old school, but I know of employers(not mine) that respect and care for their employees, If something like this happened they give 2 weeks notice so people can look for another job and make plans. These employers are also the ones that make sure employees and their families can afford a house and so on. I spend more money at those places and refuse to spend money at the others.

Old 10-08-2018, 01:48 PM
Supporter

Sounds like the owners did it to themselves, and the employees. If the technology is 20 to 30 years old and they failed to invest and develop new products, ESPECIALLY with electronics, they are lucky to have held on this long. Kinda' like letting the Golden Goose starve to death.

Old 10-08-2018, 06:36 PM
Elite Member

As cold as it seems to give no warning, in most instances it can be risky to give the employees notice of an impending shut down or layoff. The risk of theft, sabotage or worse is taken into consideration when a company goes through this. That is why people are usually removed from their work space when given the news and then not allowed back in unsupervised to gather their stuff.

If the situation was bad enough for them to just shut the doors then the employees should have been able to see the signs.

Old 10-09-2018, 12:38 PM

Originally Posted by Porsche914 View post
As cold as it seems to give no warning, in most instances it can be risky to give the employees notice of an impending shut down or layoff. The risk of theft, sabotage or worse is taken into consideration when a company goes through this. That is why people are usually removed from their work space when given the news and then not allowed back in unsupervised to gather their stuff.

If the situation was bad enough for them to just shut the doors then the employees should have been able to see the signs.
you are correct! "cleaning the place out" could be on their minds after being deceived!..always a possibility.

(h.h.!)
j.t.

Old 10-09-2018, 12:51 PM
Supporter

Originally Posted by Tpmetal View post
Maybe I am old school, but I know of employers(not mine) that respect and care for their employees, If something like this happened they give 2 weeks notice so people can look for another job and make plans. These employers are also the ones that make sure employees and their families can afford a house and so on. I spend more money at those places and refuse to spend money at the others.
If I heard correctly, they were laid off due to restructuring. They will be compensated. If a 2 week warning was given tesoro would have put itself in a serious bind. Obviously, the news would have leaked to both dealers and consumers. The phones would have been ringing nonstop from dealers trying to return goods and consumer complaints, etc etc.. also run the risk of employee theft, sabotage, etc etc. The list is long and I'm sure tesoro weighed both sides and did what they felt was best.

Old 10-09-2018, 09:28 PM

Originally Posted by DIGGER27 View post
Restructuring?
These are not exactly the moves of a company that is planning on doing that.
They blindsided their employees, they blindsided their dealers, Elton from Findmall called and talked to someone there and was told these moves were mearly damage control.
I told him he was probably lied to.
How is cutting off your only revenue stream "damage control"?
Are they waiting for detector fairies to show up with a bunch of new detector designs and then they plan on rehiring their workforce and everything will be better than ever?
Anyone that screws over their employees and dealers this way are not above lying about anything to anyone just to keep up appearances for as long as possible.
My theory, anyway, but I have seen other business owners act exactly like this and ultimately it was all a stall until they had a chance to squeeze all the money they could out of their business then they faded out as quietly as they could.

Like Sears if they had a smarter leader that made better more logical business moves both companies histories would have been written up differently.
Sears has been having the longest going out of business sale in history, they won't be around much longer.
Tesoro had a Luddite at the helm, it was never a big company and probably would have survived if they had done even a little of what other companies in our modern age do, have a presence on social media and communicate with their customers.
To bad Vince was no leader in any sense of the term.

Maybe a big company like First Texas will buy them.
If they did they probably might make a go of it and even improve some models or even come out with new ones but then it occurs to me why should they?
How much money can they really make off of them?
First Texas makes a huge amount of money on just their Bounty Hunter line being sold by the tons in most of the big box stores.
Probably a mess of bucks off their other lines too.
Their security division, I suspect, might even make more than than their entire hobby line.
They might have room in their big new warehouse/manufacturing plant for the Tesoro line but would it make business sense to take them on?
I doubt Garrett would want to take them over for similar reasons...I don't think they are as big as FTP anyway and might not have the resources or the interest.
Somebody else might buy them out and get things going again, an entrepreneur, but in this business are these old throwback analog tools exactly the kind of products you want to do a lot of investing in and take a chance on?
Sure if you had a new idea for a miraculous different kind of detector that nobody has seen before I can see going in full speed ahead but nobody I know except Tesoro was in the business of making money on decades old tech.
Even with better leadership it might be possible nobody can for very long.
Many of us loved them and still bought their product but in this day and age even with a small company like this is that enough?

Hopefully they will stay around in one form or another, still honor their warranties and supply their unique niche style detectors but only time will tell.
you are right about sears. sears and k-mart were both sucking hind titties in the retail market. so they merged. the dunces at the top thought 0 + 0 = 4 or some other positive number. Once upon a time sears and k-mart were very well managed companies. But they did not change their business model when Walmart established a base in smaller towns and then invaded the sears and k-mart territories in the larger towns.

all retail is grappling with Amazon and other Internet based stores.

Old 10-09-2018, 09:34 PM

Originally Posted by choppadude View post
People bust on unions but at least they give you protections against things like this.
I used to be anti-union after working in fortune 500 companies in technology.
But I have come to believe that unions are the only thing that will protect the workers. But the big firms responded by moving virtually all their manufacturing out of the US. See where that got us. We now have cheap ass products from china with no strong middle class able to buy these cheap ass products.

I would buy all American if I could, but guess what, that would limit me to few and no products other than wood craft products made by mom and pop. look at Target and walmart. most of the stuff is made in china or india or anywhere but the us.

US should put even higher tariffs on China. the chinese communist are not to be trusted. see what they have been putting on all of our server computers? spy chips. We in the US are just babies when it comes to devious behavior on the world stage.

Old 10-10-2018, 01:31 AM

Originally Posted by maxxkatt View post
I used to be anti-union after working in fortune 500 companies in technology.
But I have come to believe that unions are the only thing that will protect the workers. But the big firms responded by moving virtually all their manufacturing out of the US. See where that got us. We now have cheap ass products from china with no strong middle class able to buy these cheap ass products.

I would buy all American if I could, but guess what, that would limit me to few and no products other than wood craft products made by mom and pop. look at Target and walmart. most of the stuff is made in china or india or anywhere but the us.

US should put even higher tariffs on China. the chinese communist are not to be trusted. see what they have been putting on all of our server computers? spy chips. We in the US are just babies when it comes to devious behavior on the world stage.
everybody wants to take a "shot' at uncle sap!..we are beginning to learn,and that's why the chinese are mad at us! god bless him! a man of integrity.

(h.h.!)
j.t.

Old 10-10-2018, 02:56 AM
Supporter

Originally Posted by jmaryt View post
everybody wants to take a "shot' at uncle sap!..we are beginning to learn,and that's why the chinese are mad at us! god bless him! a man of integrity.

(h.h.!)
j.t.
I suppose the answer is to go back to trading in honest money. These trade issues/imbalances will work themselves out fairly quickly.

Old 10-16-2018, 07:27 AM

Originally Posted by Tpmetal View post
I am old school also. best company I ever worked for was a family owned business where the founder started the company 20 years before I came to work for him and was still president. He treated his customers and employees fairly all the time.

RIP Ben Meadows