Friendly Metal Detecting Forums   Antiques Detectors
List all sponsors

Go Back   Friendly Metal Detecting Forums > Metal Detecting > Coinshooters and Relic Hunters

Notices

Old 10-09-2018, 08:53 PM
Elite Member

Default This Trip No Bust, A Multi Seated Down Day

Actually went back last night to hunt but the owner had just restarted cutting the grass. So I made an offer to help. Spent the next 45 minutes on his tractor as he did the trim. When he finished the trim he took over on the tractor. At that time I asked if I could return in the morning to hunt and he said thank you and have at it. He must of quit shortly after I left as there was about a quarter of the yard to be still done when I arrived this morning.

I decided that I was going to cherry pick as much as I could chasing only solid high signals. It worked out pretty darn nice I'd say. Dug just a little clad but had a great day plucking 4 Silver Coins. About twenty minutes into the hunt I dug my first it was a Seated Dime about 6 inches. 10 minutes later the second was A Barber Dime at about the same depth. I went a long time before I hit another very nice signal. It was hitting 12-47 one way and 1-45 at a 45. The depth showed between 6 and 8 on the CTX. Dug the plug and could see the rim of a Big Silver. A Beautiful 1859o Seated Half Dollar. After digging the Bust Dime on Sunday I have my second ever Seated Half. It was pretty hard to concentrate after that but I was hoping to bag a Merc or Rosie for the trifecta. Only got one more good signal and I thought I had a good chance for one of those two coins but it was not to be. I had to settle with my third Seated for the day. I need to rest up a bit and maybe stop shaking. I will be going back very soon. The 4 Silvers now have me at 334 FTY. Trapper
Attached Images

Last edited by jack&jill; 10-18-2018 at 10:57 PM.

Old 10-09-2018, 09:05 PM
Supporter

"It worked out pretty darn nice I'd say" says Trapper. Lol

I think I'd be a little more colorful in that description. Looks like it Worked out phenomenal for you in my book.

Anothe killer day on some killer silver. I think I'd take that guy some cookies or something. And buy the way if you see me outside your house hunkered down in my truck and following you to that spot.... it's not me lol.

JK, of course, not sure what town you even live in, but keep up the good work!

Old 10-09-2018, 09:10 PM
Elite Member

Holy cow!!!! I only dream of finding a seated half!! I must have missed your capped bust thread

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 10-09-2018, 09:16 PM
Supporter

Holy carp! Seated half

Major congrats on the seated party there, that half is beautiful!!!!!!

EQUINOX800, Dos Compadres : 2018 (Total (4/4/13 to date)) - Clad: $181.96 ($823.46), Silver coins: 1 (6), Wheats: 17 (46), Gold: 6 (24), .925 9 (58), Rings: 46 (186), Oldest Coins: 1921 Ten Centavos Filipinas; Chinese cash coin

Old 10-09-2018, 09:22 PM
Elite Member

Wow! That half is amazing! Excellent finds Trapper!

(3)Gold jewelry ($62.41)Clad

Old 10-09-2018, 09:36 PM
Elite Member

The Barber and pair of Seated Dimes are excellent recoveries but that big Seated is a special dig...congrats on your second one Trapper!

Old 10-09-2018, 09:37 PM
Elite Member

I dont hunt yards but thats the kinda yard that wants me to start hunting yards

XP Deus Minelab Equinox Silver Totals-Spanish 18-Capped Bust 1-Seated 40-Oldest-Late 1600s Cobs-Louis XIV 4 Sols-Cut Pine Tree Shilling- Oldest US-1830 Bust Dime-Best Finds-1852 Gold $1-Silver Pomander circa 1700
https://metaldetectingforum.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=427435&d=1540594742

Old 10-09-2018, 09:42 PM
Elite Member

Originally Posted by Big Treble View post
"It worked out pretty darn nice I'd say" says Trapper. Lol

I think I'd be a little more colorful in that description. Looks like it Worked out phenomenal for you in my book.

Anothe killer day on some killer silver. I think I'd take that guy some cookies or something. And buy the way if you see me outside your house hunkered down in my truck and following you to that spot.... it's not me lol.

JK, of course, not sure what town you even live in, but keep up the good work!
Appreciate the kind words Craig. Guess I will have to open my eyes in the back of my head. Truth is I'm shaking still. Just having oh my gosh is this real feelings going on.
Originally Posted by coin whisperer View post
Holy cow!!!! I only dream of finding a seated half!! I must have missed your capped bust thread
Thanks Vic, I'm on such a high.... First to dig a Capped Bust on Sunday and then from the same property a Seated Half today. Plus 2 Seated Dimes and a Barber.
Originally Posted by GroundSweeper View post
Holy carp! Seated half

Major congrats on the seated party there, that half is beautiful!!!!!!
Thank you Sweeper, a Capped Bust Dime on Sunday and a Seated Half today. Just hard for even me to fathom.
Originally Posted by WyoTom View post
Wow! That half is amazing! Excellent finds Trapper!
Appreciate the response Tom. I don't think it can get any better for me. Trapper

Old 10-09-2018, 09:51 PM
Supporter

Amazing hunt Trapper! That seated half is awesome!! Congrats!

Old 10-09-2018, 09:55 PM

whoa man ! that is a awesome hunt ! we surely don't see those seated halves come out very often. Nice score ! maybe you'll get a nice old gold next time ! good luck on your next outing! Thanks for sharing your stories and those wonderful photos with us!

Old 10-09-2018, 10:28 PM
Elite Member

Originally Posted by Captain Silver View post
The Barber and pair of Seated Dimes are excellent recoveries but that big Seated is a special dig...congrats on your second one Trapper!
Thank you Bruce for the kind words, they are greatly appreciated. Never thought I would ever get a second. Just a fantastic week for me.
Originally Posted by Toasted View post
I dont hunt yards but thats the kinda yard that wants me to start hunting yards
Thanks Toasted, I seldom get on the old grounds needed to find the stuff that you do. I feel truly blessed with this opportunity.
Originally Posted by BlackBetty View post
Wow! Sweet location
Thank you Betty. It truly is a sweet location. I hope to get a few more hunts on it.
Originally Posted by Ron 71 View post
Amazing hunt Trapper! That seated half is awesome!! Congrats!
Appreciate your reply Ron, thank you. The Half is in great condition, specially the obverse (tails) side. If I have my count right I think this is the 10th Half Dollar I dug this year. Trapper

Old 10-09-2018, 09:38 PM

Wow! Sweet location

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 10-09-2018, 11:14 PM
Supporter

Simply amazing! Any one of those finds are stellar. I don't know how you can sleep at night from the adrenaline rush do to these finds you keep recovering? Congrats big time!

Oldest coin: 1760 Colonial Half Penny; Oldest US coin: 1796 Large Cent; Oldest US silver coin: 1861 Liberty Seat Dime; 2017 Y/E Clad: $616.38: 2018 Y/E: TBA

Coin record amounts found on one of various days: Quarters-113; Dimes-86; Nickels-53

Old 10-09-2018, 11:16 PM
Elite Member

What ? No bust coins ? Only a seated half ? Sheesk, we're bored . (just kidding, nice half ! )

Old 10-10-2018, 03:41 AM
Elite Member

Congrats on that amazing seated half and all of the other great finds, Trapper! One of the treasure magazines should do a feature story on you or something!

Old 10-10-2018, 07:14 AM
Elite Member

congrats on an amazing find!

Old 10-10-2018, 09:06 AM
Supporter

Whoa! Now theres some old Dirt! Congratulations and Good on ya for helping the Land owner with the grass cutting...Evidently the vibrations from the mower deck made those coins sort of wiggle up and lay flat! Being a good guy goes a long way in this Sport!!

Detecting is the study of Mankinds interaction with topography, the untrustworthiness of pockets, and metals desire to return to the Earth from whence it came.

Old 10-10-2018, 10:42 AM
Elite Member

Originally Posted by Tom_in_CA View post
What ? No bust coins ? Only a seated half ? Sheesk, we're bored . (just kidding, nice half ! )
It's funny Tom, I just had two of the most rewarding days in this hobby and I still am left wanting. Odd things I think make us click, so now I will chase after a Shield Nickel as it has become my holy grail.
Originally Posted by Diggerjonny View post
congrats Trapper.those coins haunt my dreams. outstanding hunt.Happy Hunting.
Jon thank you. This year has been spectacular for me, first retirement and now in in this hobby. Just like childhood, free time and you get to play in the dirt.
Originally Posted by Waveoff View post

Congrats on that amazing seated half and all of the other great finds, Trapper! One of the treasure magazines should do a feature story on you or something!
Very kind words Fred, thank you. Knowing I was going to retire I started a list of places to hunt and when I was running errands I stopped and asked permissions on properties that had the possibility to hold Silver. I caught a couple breaks that led to more permissions and that's what got me to where I am at. Oh and the addition of the "Nox" helped. Not much of a story.
Originally Posted by rustyk1 View post
congrats on an amazing find!
Thank you Rusty. I have been truly blessed this last couple of days. Digging a Capped Bust Dime and now this Seated Half Dollar. I can't imagine it getting any better. Trapper

Old 10-09-2018, 11:39 PM
Elite Member

Originally Posted by IDXMonster View post
Where was that again? You’d better start sweeping your truck for tracking devices,those kinds of finds are just about a good enough reason for me to stick one on there. Just about...
You have found what I call “an incredible site” Trapper. When you’re “cherry picking” Seated coins,you might have found a good site. You just never know when you’re gonna hit the huge one,and you have officially hit the huge one!
MEGA congratulations on doing the homework,the legwork and the hunting work to put those beauties in your collection.
334? Tick tock man! Tick tock...
We are suppose to get rain all day tomorrow Kevin but if there is a break I am going back. Figure to go with the CTX at least one more run then go back over every thing with the Nox. Maybe get my first Shield. This has been a dream week with out a doubt. I have stopped at this location at least eight times over the last three years and last Wednesday was the first time I ever found somebody home.
Originally Posted by Stiffwrists View post
Appreciate all the kind words Stiffy. The Seated Half is Special. Not sure I will get to 400 but it won't be from lack of effort. This site could give up my last common bucketlist coin, a Shield Nickel. Hope to get back by the end of the week. Trapper
I've loved watching your progress this year. Fun seeing that silver count go through the roof. I dug a Shield nickel a few weeks ago. Hard to believe I have one up on a living legend! Haha.[/QUOTE]
Now I'm depressed, only dug my first "V" earlier this year. So who knows this site could give up just about anything. Sooner or latter I will get the Shield conquered.
Originally Posted by TommyJay View post
Great recoveries, Trapper. That seated half is in exceptionally good shape!
Thank you Tom. I think all Seated's are beautiful but the Seated Halves to me are exceptional. This one is in very good condition.
Originally Posted by JAK View post
Simply amazing! Any one of those finds are stellar. I don't know how you can sleep at night from the adrenaline rush do to these finds you keep recovering? Congrats big time!
You know Jak I may not sleep tonight. Had a rough nite on Sunday after digging the Capped Bust and I am still on a adrenaline high yet. I keep pinching myself to make sure I am not in a dream. Trapper

Old 10-10-2018, 01:48 AM

Default wow

congrats Trapper.those coins haunt my dreams. outstanding hunt.Happy Hunting.