Old military brass.

hoser

Forum Supporter
As some of you know, I am currently hunting a VERY large area that is used by the national guard for bivouac, and I'm finding a lot of spent brass casings. I called the local metal salvage company and asked just what spent brass was going for. $1.10 a pound :wow: I'll bet I have passed up $50 already :shock: :roll: Point is, if you are in an area where there is a lot of this kind of stuff, it would be to your advantage to collect it and turn it in when you have a good amount. Yesterday I took home just under a pound in about an hour, and I passed up a lot just because I knew what it was.DUH! :roll:

The only thing is that the primers are not brass so it would be considered dirty brass which is worthless form what I understand. Sorry for the bad news, but if you find cheep way of cleaning it let us know.

HH

hoser said:
As some of you know, I am currently hunting a VERY large area that is used by the national guard for bivouac, and I'm finding a lot of spent brass casings. I called the local metal salvage company and asked just what spent brass was going for. $1.10 a pound :wow: I'll bet I have passed up $50 already :shock: :roll: Point is, if you are in an area where there is a lot of this kind of stuff, it would be to your advantage to collect it and turn it in when you have a good amount. Yesterday I took home just under a pound in about an hour, and I passed up a lot just because I knew what it was.DUH! :roll:

Gee... And here I thought we all took our trash out... :P ;)

hoser said:

I do alot of metal salvage (In fact that's what's going to buy me a detector! :yes:) Anyway for something like that I would use an angle grinder with a metal cutting blade and just cut the ends off. Just do that every so often and throw them into a bucket. You'll be suprised how fast brass adds up. That and copper are my two favorites.

Funny.............as I was dumping my junk pouch in the trash when I got home the other day, I had a thought
"all these aluminum pull tabs might be worth something". Maybe I should start a bucket for them too, anybody else done that?

Unless something has changed, pulltabs are worthless. They won't even buy them as dirty aluminum. I tried turning them in years ago. If you want to do a good deed, give them to a business that deals with Ronald McDonald House. RMH contributes money to the homeless. Businesses collect modern day pull tabs and give them to RMH who somehow in turn denote money to run RMH program or something like that. You can Google or Yahoo RMH further if you like.

HH

PS The NAPA auto in my city collects them.

Back
Top Bottom