• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Buying a Tumbler

jrdavis119

Have read numerous posts regarding using a rock tumbler to clean clad and memorial cents and thinking of buying one. Locally-----zip, so I start surfing the web and find the usual mix of models from 30 - $200. My question is basically - would anyone recommend a particular model/brand? I would like to get one that will perform and have some life so I'm not afraid to purchase one on the higher end if they are worth the extra $$. I know there have been different posts about tumblers in the past but could'nt seem to find any specific models recommended. Anyway....would sure appreciate any input. Thanks.......Jim

I have the 15 lb capacity. Bought it 25 years ago for about $50. It hasn't failed me yet and was used for rocks and TONS of ammo casings. Still going strong!!

I have a cheap-o (plastic) one from Walmart. Already replaced the lid nib with a sawed off screw as it broke off when I dropped the lid. I also use scotch tape around the lid rim as the plastic washers (or whatever they are) wore down in just a few hours. Looks like crap, but good enough to tumble my anemic finds :lol:

I got mine from Harbour Freight for about $30. Has a rubber drum. It's very quiet and works well.

No, I sure wouldn't drop more than $40 or so on one, unless you do industrial strength tumbling, and/or perhaps are inclined to use them for their actual purpose frequently.
I got mine for $25 at a Michaels craft store for $25, have tumbled plenty of change, and no sign of wear on it yet.

Thanks for all the input everyone!! I purchased the Lortone from a dude in California off of EBay. He had the best price and most reasonable S & H. Probably bought one a little better than I actually needed but.....I would just as soon pay a little more and have it last awhile. Also, in researching to buy a tumbler I kind of developed some in interest in rocks.....after all we turn up all sorts of stones when we MD, so why not give them a tumble too!?! I should get it this week, so we'll see how it works.

I bought a tumbler yesterday. I paid $29 @ Michaels Crafts store.

I put a little aquarium gravel in it (my fish, Uno, was happy to donate to the cause) and have set fifty or sixty pennies to tumbling.

How long do I leave them in? The book says that rocks have to be in for 7 or 8 days on rough grit as a first step, 8 to 12 days on the second step, and 5 to 6 days on the third step. Should I leave my pennies and gravel in there for 26 days? That seems like a lot of time and I'm scared of wearing the pennies down to nothing!

No, you only have to tumble them for 1-3 hours. The rock tumbling instructions are for a process that takes rough rocks and polishes them; it's like forcing erosion. Every surface on a rock has to be smoothed by grinding against another rock. With coins, you just want something to agitate and loosen the dirt on the coins, as if they'd been in a dishwasher or something of the like for hours and hours.

Well Ya'll.....the tumbler arrived on Saturday & I've been a-tumblin eversince!! Works really well. As per suggestions, I am using aquarium gravel and letting it roll for a few hours at a time. The last load of mems are finishing up now and will start on the clad tomorrow. Really cleans the stubborn dirt off, had been using a toothbrush and dish soap....but all that really takes off is the loose surface dirt. Sort of experimented with dish soap (small amount), Fantastic and plain water. The Fantastic foamed up pretty good but cleaned pretty well. When I get the coins cleaned, am going to try on some other metal....buckles and such. Many thanks for the help, input & interest.

Back
Top Bottom