Question about olive oil

anode

when soaking coins in olive oil can you put more than one coin at a time in the same container where they will be touching??? I'm thinking of using pill bottles to store the coin in olive oil.

Usually give coins seperate olive oil baths, dont want the sediments leeching to the other coins.
Dont like extra virgin or virgin oil (at least not on my coins :grin:). .Its too thick.
I use the little scoops from powdered iced tea containers to soak the coins in.
Pill bottles sound good, you can seal it with the lid.

Jim

thanks Jim i was leaning that way, one coin per container

I put multiple coins in a yogurt jar, with marbles on the bottom so both sides get more of a soaking.
The majority of the crud will come off when you rinse them, and not just sitting there [unless they are agitated], so personally I wouldn't worry all that much about contamination.

I use olive oil and every day I pick at the crud with a toothpick - a WOODEN one. Dont use anything harder or you may scratch the item. Some coins/tokens work great this way and some dont. Steve in so az

Latest on olive oil is that it should not be used unless you are prepared to then neutralise the acid that it contains.
Early Roman and Greek copper mixtures react with the oil and produce a poison so great care has to be taken not to get any on the fingers that can then be transferred to the lips.
Alternative suggested is the light oil that music shops sell which also gives a better colour though I have yet to try it myself.

Yesterday I found a large Swiss Army knife with the insignia on it and also the Boy Scout insignia on it. They seems to be imbedded in the reddish knife handle in silver. I dug it about 4 inches out of the ground near an elementary school. It's in beautiful condition...no scratches anywhere on it. My problem is that every gadget on it is/was stuck tight in it, due to having been buried quite awhile in the dirt and muck.

I have used Dawn and water and an old toothbrush on it to try to loosen the gadgets so I can open all the blades, etc. I was able to pull up the Phillips screwdriver, the largest blade, the toothpick, and the tiny tweezers. The last two I pulled out this morning, after having soaked the entire thing in olive oil overnight. There is some crud on the blades, etc. that I'm having a tough time getting off. I'm scared I'll scratch them, or the red handle, and don't want to take that chance. The blades and gadgets are stainless steel, except for the plastic toothpick.

Any help would be appreciated. How long should I soak this knife? Should I remove it daily and try to work on cleaning it on a daily basis, then put it back in the oil till the next day?

Scrltt641

Back
Top Bottom