On this day....

DIGGER27

In Memory Of
Alabama, by way of Detroit, Tampa Bay, Alabama and
...lots of things happened.
The midnight ride of Paul Revere was one, the great San Francisco earthquake of 1906 was another.

One other thing happened on today's date was Grace Kelly got married and became Princess Grace...effectively ending her film career.
If ever there was a person more aptly named I don't know who that would be.

I am a big movie buff and have been lucky enough to have seen so many in my life.
One of my first jobs as a teenager was as an usher at a movie theatre, back in the days when they had ushers who helped seat people and stood at the back of the theatre as part of the job.
Some movies I watched many dozens of times, some beginnings and endings in the hundreds.

Over the years there have been some famous and classic entrance scenes for major characters in the movies, Alex in A Clockwork Orange, Indiana Jones in that first movie, Captain Jack Sparrow, Heath Ledger as the Joker...even the Imperial Ship in Star Wars which I saw on a gigantic screen in a 2100 seat theatre that you won't find anymore...that was impressive.
And of course so many more.
But for me the one experience that for some reason sticks out in my memory the most is a scene I saw many times on the small screen on tv but when I had a chance to see this movie AT the movies it was totally different, shocking and blew me away.
Still does to this day.
It was Rear Window, when this lady's face first appears on the screen 20 feet tall in all its glory that too, ladies and gentlemen, was most impressive.

She was great in her career, regal and full of grace in her reign and left us all too soon...but we will always have this scene.

As sweet and regal as Grace Kelly was, the most significant act in history that fell on this date was exactly 75yrs ago....the Doolittle raid.

April 18, 1942. Four months after the attack on Pearl Harbor, 80 crewmen on 16 B-25 bombers launched from the deck of the USS Hornet, deep in enemy waters in the Pacific. Their target: Tokyo.

Of the original 80 men involved, only Lt. Colonel Richard Cole (who was Doolittle's co-pilot) still survives today.

As sweet and regal as Grace Kelly was, the most significant act in history that fell on this date was exactly 75yrs ago....the Doolittle raid.

April 18, 1942. Four months after the attack on Pearl Harbor, 80 crewmen on 16 B-25 bombers launched from the deck of the USS Hornet, deep in enemy waters in the Pacific. Their target: Tokyo.

Of the original 80 men involved, only Lt. Colonel Richard Cole (who was Doolittle's co-pilot) still survives today.

Our greatest generation. I wish our country could come together the way they did then. It's kind of depressing when you look at the country today and start to realize that are best days are probably behind us, :(

Our greatest generation. I wish our country could come together the way they did then. It's kind of depressing when you look at the country today and start to realize that are best days are probably behind us, :(

I couldn't agree more! Sad to think our greatest generation will be gone in just a few short years.
God help us if we ever needed to stand together as a country the way they did.
I hope I am wrong

Back
Top Bottom