AT pro depth question

ChrisR

I just purchased an AT Pro and last night was my first night using it. It pretty consistently indicated a depth that was deeper than what the object was. At one point, I through a dime on the grass, swept over it and it told me it was 6" down.

Does anyone have any thoughts on why this might be occurring?

You should go by your audio if you use pro mode ...the deeper it is the fainter the sound,,,many things will affect depth Id,,but nothing will affect the depth audio.

That is a great machine and the audio on the At pro imo is second to none.

You should go by your audio if you use pro mode ...the deeper it is the fainter the sound,,,many things will affect depth Id,,but nothing will affect the depth audio.

That is a great machine and the audio on the At pro imo is second to none.

Thanks. I was using it in standard mode to get the feel of the machine. I definitely will be switching over to pro mode from here on.

Yeah..Pro Zero...also, its easy to high fly your coil over an object to give you an idea of size and depth without looking at the screen...just takes a bit of practice is all...Welcome!
Mud

Yep, in Pro Mode the audio is the most important thing. As you learn the machine's language, you'll find yourself looking at the screen less and less. I'd say skip Standard Mode all together and jump right in to Pro Zero and start swinging and digging it all. You'll learn a lot more that way, IMO.

Yep, in Pro Mode the audio is the most important thing. As you learn the machine's language, you'll find yourself looking at the screen less and less. I'd say skip Standard Mode all together and jump right in to Pro Zero and start swinging and digging it all. You'll learn a lot more that way, IMO.

I agree 100%

Yeah! Wait until you get the coil over a very shallow aluminum can!! :shock:

Sometimes I still prefer my Custom Mode when getting into way too much iron.
It can be a real racket when picking up hundreds of small nails and pieces of building material on a small area.

Yeah! Wait until you get the coil over a very shallow aluminum can!! :shock:

Sometimes I still prefer my Custom Mode when getting into way too much iron.
It can be a real racket when picking up hundreds of small nails and pieces of building material on a small area.

Been there, done that! Just a suggestion to OP to help him learn his new machine. I sometimes switch to Custom Mode with some iron discrim as well in really trashy sites, but I'm in Pro Zero about 85-90% of the time.

When scanning the ATP almost always indicates the object is deeper than it is. You have to scan in Pin Point ode to get and accurate depth, and the ATP is very good at that. If you get a double tone on a shallow target it may be a single target on the surface. If you get a depth and dig past that, it is most likely a large, too large, target and is a misreading(or you pin pointed inaccurately). If the in pin point mode the display goes wacky and or disappears it is an overload on a large shallow target.

Try raising the coil. If you do and get the same depth you know it is a LARGE target.

When scanning the ATP almost always indicates the object is deeper than it is. You have to scan in Pin Point ode to get and accurate depth, and the ATP is very good at that. If you get a double tone on a shallow target it may be a single target on the surface. If you get a depth and dig past that, it is most likely a large, too large, target and is a misreading(or you pin pointed inaccurately). If the in pin point mode the display goes wacky and or disappears it is an overload on a large shallow target.

Try raising the coil. If you do and get the same depth you know it is a LARGE target.

Great info. Thanks.

While it's true that you should go by audio, the depth gauge is an important tool too. If it's way off then I would call Garrett and talk to them and see what they think.

The depth guage is just a rough guide , its not always accurate but along with the rest of the ATP language its a useful tool. Once you learn the language the occaisional inaccuracy of the depth guage kinda makes a lot more sense. Once you put all the pieces together you get more information than most detectors are even capable of.

All the features are by themselves good, but you put them all together to make it Great.

The depth gauge is in two inch increments. Pay close enough attention and you will see how accurate it is. I don't carry a ruler, but use my digger as one. If the depth indicated 2 inches solidly, it will most likely be 1 to 2 inches deep. If it jumps between 2 and 4 inches look for the target from 3 to 4 inches, etc.

When scanning the ground you hit a target look at all the features, Tone, VDI and Indicator. Especially while learning. If it gives a high tone, a VDI that says 86/87(a Quarter) but the indictor jumps around it is most likely junk, a bottle cap or aluminum piece. A nickel is a mid-tone 51/52 and a pulltab is close. So listen to the tone. A pulltab may have a VDI and Indicate as a Nickel, but will not be as loud. A nickel will be much louder. It has much more mass that a pulltab.

Your VDI numbers may vary from mine, depending on soil. My numbers vary by a digit depending on the site I am hunting. BUT, they are consistent, the indicator sticks, and the tone is the same.

Saltwater beach hunting is the same except the numbers can jump 2 sometimes 3 numbers, but always remain within range and sound the same for coins and silver rings.

+1

Back
Top Bottom