Building and using electrolysis

Cherry Picker

Forum Supporter
I thought this might be useful. For years I have built my own gadget to clean coins/relics with electrolysis. This should only be used on items that are in bad shape and little to no value.

Rather than use up a lot of the web sites bandwidth I posted it here
http://www.detectorplace.com/treasure/clean/

The before:
before1.jpg

The After:
2hrcoin2.jpg

Nice tutorial Detector and great pictures,

We would also recommend that after using electrolysis, that you put baking soda on the coin to stop the reaction, otherwise the electrolysis keeps eating the coin.

"To stop the reaction get some baking soda and while rinsing your coin under a faucet, use an old toothbrush and rub some of the baking soda on it."

Also see Mark's tips at http://gometaldetecting.com/electrolysis_coins.htm

I put one together and they work great. I had several adapters laying around. I invested 1.98 on the clips. Again it works great................Even a blonde could put one together..........................Rut ro :lol:

Great tutorial and very nice results! It looks soft and very careful method than cleaning in acid solutions.

BTW, at the end of tutorial is mentioned this..
"Here it is after 6 months."
Really 6 months? Not 6 hours? ;)

The 6 months is the time for the coin to regain a natural look. When you first clean it they look unnaturally new but over time it takes on a more natural color.

Great expanantion and layout-thanks.

The coin that was cleaned in the picture and aged, that is a different coin than the crusty one, correct?

thanks again

Thanks for the detailed layout on this. I plan on making a similar set up this weekend.

I have a question regarding the coins in the picture.

On the before and right after pictures you can see the dimples around the outer edge of the coin, especially on the front, but on the 6 month picture there are no dimples? Why is that?

I made one like in the instructions out of a 9volt cordless phone transformer. It works great. I cleaned up an old 1955 mercury key that I found. I was impressed. Thanks for the link

Doug

Good question Swepty.

The 6 month coin is a different coin. I will post a picture of the actual coin once it has aged. I showed a different coin to show how tone comes back to the coin in time. I would say the before coin was exposed to more harsh conditions in the ground. Chemicals such as fertilizers wreak havoc on copper coins while in the ground.

REMINDER: NEVER use electrolysis on any coin with value.

I only use this method on coins that are in bad shape and I only want to make them more presentable. Where electrolysis shines is on iron and steel relics. I found an old 1800's rifle that was rusted so bad it was splintering and flaking to the touch. After electrolysis it not only stopped the rusting process but actually repaired the metal by rebinding it.

Electrolysis actually removes the first layers of metal on the object (including rust), which frees up embedded dirt. I tested it on a 1972 quarter (tarnished) this weekend with an old 9 volt adapter, a jam jar, some wire and alligator clips.

At first the water itself wasn't conducting enough electricity, so I added some salt which catalyzed the whole operation quite a bit. Don't worry about the long term effects of the sodium; the baking soda should balance the pH in the coin. In about an hour and a half, I used and old toothbrush and baking soda to clear off the loosened dirt and stop the reaction.

Took the tarnish off really well; I should have taken pictures of the water. Copper salts are green, the whole thing looked unnatural.

As with any type of cleaning, electrolysis can permanently damage a coin or artifact, so use caution, always monitor it?s progress.
If an item is plated, electrolysis will lift this off, also corrosion can take place under the surface detail, which can also be lifted off.

Saying that, with a solid silver coin there shouldn?t be a problem.

Back
Top Bottom