Perfect Exchange for Funkified Clad

roadrunner_426

Elite Member
My hunting partner used to get rid of his clad by buying Cokes and nabs from machines...I've even seen him drop discolored V nickels in the coin slot..I could never see the sense in paying a buck ( even funky clad ) for a Coke , when I could walk into the store and get a 12 pack for $2.50...sure you get some funny looks when you plop down those black dimes and orange quarters..so what ?...anyway , I found the perfect solution today ; my bank has installed one of those Coinstar - like machines that members can use for free..I dumped in 6 or 7 hundred of my funkyiest earth cookies this afternoon and waited to see if any alarms would go off or if the machine would explode...the Coinstar ate everything except 2 of the oranger quarters and 27 of those zinc beauties, which it spat out...brushed a little dirt off the coin tray and took my receipt to the cashier, who gave me a nice crisp 20, 10 , and 5..not even a dirty look.. HH Roadrunner_426

What percentage does that thing charge you anyway? Isn't it like 10 percent on your take?

Bri-

I bought a battery operated coin counter at Staples a couple of years ago. It counts, and separates into the pre-formed rolls. Holds 2 each of the rolls, and switches over when one fills up. Cost about $50. I'll be damed if I give a percentage to ANYONE!!! I wouldn' put real funky coins in this machine either.

Commerce bank has a free one for everyone and there is nothing taken out. So whatever you put in you get out@

My bank is the same way - if you have an account you get no money taken out, otherwise it is 7%. I doubt if any non account holders would be going into a bank looking for coin counting machines :?: Plenty using the coinstars though! I think if you want an Amazon gift certificate you don't get a % taken out from using a coinstar. I'll dump my coins in my banks at the end of the year, although I do clean them in the tumbler first. After cleaning, some of my pennies turn out to be dimes :lol: I do dig up some pretty dirty coins now and then :P

Hi Oz, my bank doesn't charge either but the teller runs them through. If they get too many funky coins they may change their attitude. Some banks run them through as I said and then mark the bag with your account ID. I tumble mine first. I've given them 3500 coins this year. Rob

Fire Whiz , there's no charge at my bank...if I had to pay a percentage, I wouldn't use the machine...I'd just roll 'em like I use to ...the Coinstars in stores around here get 9 %...no thanks ! Roadrunner_426

I just tumble all of mine. That way they are spenders any where I go, no questions asked.

You guys are gettin off cheap!! Coinstars in my neck of the woods get 15%. All 3 of the closest brances of my bank don't have change machines.

I use a tumbler made for rock hunting. It has a larger capacity, and is all metal / heavier construction. I've used it to polish rocks, clean ammo casings, and clean coins. It's still goin strong after 30 years and has been used a hell of a lot.

The tumbler sounds like a good item. Do you know the brand and model so I can look it up on-line?

Back
Top Bottom